anyone ever seen Red Hill Mining Town Vid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are rumours it was shown on MTV once, though I highly doubt that. If it had been given to MTV, I'd bet someone there would've leaked it.

It has never been aired anywhere and no one outside the U2 organization have seen it. Edge was asked about it in 2001 and he didnt even remember that they shot the video. There were some stills from it in one of the Propaganda issues and their is a large still shot of it in either the Touch The Flame or Three Chords And The Truth books (cant remember which off hand and I'am at work currently), but that is it.

I haven't seen it but I remember going to the U2 light show back in 1988 or '89 and one of the songs was Red Hill Mining Town and it was awesome, the most memorable of the laser light show even giving goose bumps and I can imagine the video being awesome to see. I hope our Planetarium here plays U2 again.

Last edited:
WHY is this thing hiding, and why? Come on people let's see it! I've seen the stills, some are on PLEBA in the Leather day thread right now. Long haired, partially shirtless, dripping Bono, what more could I beg for? :drool: :combust:

The video was never released because it allegedly sucked. I'd rather have U2 not release their substandard/unreleased work because more often than not, you find trash as opposed to hidden gems. And this is not just the case with U2 but with any recording artist. There has to be a reason why something was shelved. So U2 have their valid reasons for not releasing work that is not proper for public consumption. If they release something that is either not ready, or substandard or shelved, then we are going to have to go through the POP debacle all over again ("unfinished", all songs were eventually remixed, etc.)

Cheers,

J

Leeloo said:
I heard it was shelved because they decided not to make it a single due to the fact that Bono was unable to sing it live.

Thats part of the reason. They decided not to make it a single because they were not playing it live and Bono made the statement that the world was not ready to see him with a pick axe. So that leads me to believe they were not incredibly happy with the video either. Would be interesting to see though.

Interview from atu2.com with Ned from Dreamchaser

Another video that gets talked about a lot that none of us has ever seen -- there was a video for "Red Hill Mining Town".

Ah-hah!

Have you ever seen it?

I have.

Will we ever see it?

Noooo! (Laughs)

Where is it?!

It's buried in a big mine somewhere, I'd imagine.

What was the change of plans for that?

It just didn't work out. I wasn't involved in that video at all. I'm not trying to wash my hands of it, it was actually before my time. I wasn't really working with the band at that point in any kind of ongoing basis. Neil Jordan directed it, who was, even then, a pretty serious movie director. I think he shot it in movie terms. I think he fell foul of trying to tell a story that he normally has two hours to tell in three-and-a-half minutes, and it just didn't work out. (Pauses) It doesn't have many redeeming features.

I would post the link but it won't allow me.

I'm glad it wasn't released at the time. At the time it would have seemed silly for U2 to be playing the roles of miners, when they were just a rock band. I'm glad back then all the videos released were of them being themselves.

Pukebreath, Bono does not, has never and never will look like Michael Jackson :mad: I won't say what Jackson does look like, but it's not human:silent:

david said:
I'm glad it wasn't released at the time. At the time it would have seemed silly for U2 to be playing the roles of miners, when they were just a rock band. I'm glad back then all the videos released were of them being themselves.

Not nearly as 'silly' as some other things he did later, so why not? Oh, the thought of long haired, partially shirted, dripping Bono swinging a pickaxe :drool: :combust: :censored: ;)

:drool:

redhill.jpg

Bono was aked about this in Swansea in 95 or 96. His response was along the lines of, 'i don't think the world was ready to see U2 acting as coalminers'......it's in an edition of Prop somewhere..

I'd like to see it out of curiousity. I remember it appearing in Smash Hits all those years ago :)

Back
Top Bottom