Anyone else slightly disappointed with Vertigo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alexvilagosh

War Child
There is nothing wrong with the song, but it isn't the mother of all rock songs, and really, it isn't that good of a song at all. I don't see anything special about it. Beautiful Day had a certain something to it, but Vertigo doesn't.

It's ok, but only ok. And from U2 I expect better than ok.

Now I don't want to get a whole lot of angry responses here, and I'm not laying into the band at all. I'm still looking forward to the album, but I'm hoping there are better songs than Vertigo on it.

Last edited:
Oh, there's bound to be better songs on the album than "Vertigo." That usually is the case when it comes to U2's first singles. I mean, I thought that more than half the stuff on Pop blew away "Discotheque".

On a somewhat related note, I prefer "Vertigo" over "Beautiful Day." I like it when U2 rock hard. :wink:

It's alright. If the song doesn't resonate with you, that's fine. Not everybody is going to like the song for some reason or another not always rational. Music is a very subjective thing.

I hope people don't get nervous to post their true feelings on the song or album or whatever now. I hate to see nothing but mindless gushing, and it is refreshing hearing everybody's thoughts.

Only thing I'd have to add is don't expect. And realize that even if it is just OK to you, there are plenty of people who think the song is amazing. As long as everyone respects each other its all good in my book.

The Elf of Y and X

GibsonGirl said:
Oh, there's bound to be better songs on the album than "Vertigo." That usually is the case when it comes to U2's first singles. I mean, I thought that more than half the stuff on Pop blew away "Discotheque".

On a somewhat related note, I prefer "Vertigo" over "Beautiful Day." I like it when U2 rock hard. :wink:

You like to tease the boys, don't you GB?

Damn, if only I lived in Canada...

It's not the greatest song on earth but I do like it a lot, I mean, I'm not gonna start worshipping it :| But... it is the new song of my favorite band... so well I love it, cause it's from them. I guess it's just an obsession thing, anything that them... I love :)

Another thing to watch out for is we're only hearing the ADD version (radio edit). I'm sure the album version will be a bit more fleshed out. That sonic drop at the end of Edge's harmonics rules.

hehe- yeah after seeing him in the potential new album photo I wouldn't be surprised if he pops in at some random moment in the heat of things is just like "sup?" like that one poster mentioned.

It isn't the mother of all rock songs but it's a good song. I really, really like that riff, it makes your head go up and down to it! Beautiful Day was more pop oriented but still with a lot rock guitar. Not pop guitar. And that's what was great about it. BD's melodies and chorus were catchier. While BD is instantly catchy Vertigo grows on you but once it gets a hold of you it doesn't let you go. The Spanish bits are extremely catchy. :|

MrBrau1 said:
Some songs are like a long pint of Guinness. Some are like a fast shot of whiskey. Vertigo is the whiskey type.
Don't have a clue what you mean, caue I've never had drank any of that stuff... well i mean a lot... i have tried (and only tried!) whiskey and its... :yuck: :barf:

I'm disappointed. Expected a lot more from the first single.

I don't think it will grown on me. Vertigo isn't that kind of song that grows with every listening. It's like a blockbuster summer movie. Funny, but empty.

That being said, i still have high hopes that this album will be a masterpiece.

Everyone will be slightly dissapointed because people aren't remembering to expect the unexpected from U2. When you become accustomed to this new U2 style, you'll love it. I was prepared for Vertigo, and as a result, I thought it was a brilliant song right off the mark.

U2_Guy said:

I don't think it will grown on me. Vertigo isn't that kind of song that grows with every listening. It's like a blockbuster summer movie. Funny, but empty.

This is of course, in your humble opinion.

I totally disagree and I love this tune and will continue to unwrap the layers over the months to come.

I like the song better than I thought I would. I was hoping that I would like it, but I didn't expect to be as excited as I am about it. I guess I was worried that it wouldn't live up to the anticipation that had been built up, so I was genuinely happy that it has for me :)

U2_Guy said:

Ok, this is maybe the eighth time i've read this comment from you U2_Dude. This is a intervention, you are cut off from using it ever again! Just kidding. I'm sure i'll see it somewhere again tomorrow...

You better believe it. Negative threads = U2_Guy, as if attracted like moth to a flame, giving same comment almost verbatim with positive qualifier at end = I get the point. That's surely not how you are going to dismantle an atomic bomb, now is it?

Nope, but that's surely what makes me wonder why ppl here can't dislike an U2 song without getting slammed. Did you read the topic of this post, dude? I guess not...

Grow up, kid. Ppl are entitled to have their opinions, even if they differ from urs.

I see a much more open atmosphere at the atu2.com forum... I wish here were the same, cause a great deal of nice intelligent critic fans visit interference forum...

I'm hardly slamming you buddy. Sorry if it came off as such. After seeing you had posted, i could have bet a small fortune what it was going to say however. Which of course, you are entitled to. Just maybe switch up the words next time, JuJu beads instead of popcorn?? Perhaps i am just spending too much time on here, which i blame on the Edge's appearance...:crazy:

Back
Top Bottom