Anyone else herre concurr that "How to..." is the worst album name - ever???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cseggleton said:
forget the title and just listen to the music captain!

w0rd. Turn it up loud, captain! (or is it turn it up THERE, captain? I'm having trouble figuring that out...)

With time I'm sure the title will fit...and even if it doesn't, oh well. The title doesn't have to be good for the album to be good.

Personally I think "Atomic Tour 2005" would be a TIGHT name... but not Atomic Bomb Tour, that would be wretched, lol.

Im a newbie, i didn´t like U2 before ATYCLB, but i bought the album because of the first single and because i thought the name of the album was brilliant, so serious and deep........
I guess everybody is different.
I think the new album title is FABULOUS,
fabulous and fantastic

I just hope that the initial reaction of the average listener to the title isn't "Oh, another political record that's going to lecture us" (I know that atomic bombs are more of a cold war thing than a part of modern politics, but the title just sounds rather bluntly political to me).

I'm sure there's probably a much deeper meaning to the title that makes a great deal of sense in the context of the album, but will average members of the public take the time to figure it out? I doubt it.

They'll probably form an opinion based upon their first gut reaction to the way the title sounds, and if it's similar to mine, I'm a little bit worried that the title may hamper the album's ability to achieve as much mainstream success as it otherwise could have.

Especially here in America, where many people already have a preconceived notion that U2 is a "left-wing extremist" band. This title will do nothing to show people that U2 is far more inclusive than some artists who actually have the gall to tell you who you should vote for during their concerts!

TheFirstBigW said:
Especially here in America, where many people already have a preconceived notion that U2 is a "left-wing extremist" band.

Grim social statement, really.

I don't mind the title.

Evalicious said:
Who cares about mainstream success???
Bono, for one.
He says that he has an in-born need to be loved by everyone.

And while other bands have hidden behind a niche market label to avoid the responsibility that comes with reaching a wider audience, U2 have continually set their sights higher in an effort to become "the biggest band in the world".

If they hadn't had a high level of mainstream success with their last CD, they wouldn't be in such a great position to market and distribute their new music or be able to afford planning such a massive and complex tour next year.

I can't say it ever mattered to me whether album/song titles sound good. They could call it "The Life and Death of Mr Twinkly Doodle" for all I care.

Oh, and Achtung Baby is still the silliest U2 album title.

Great album title... If you've been paying attention to his DATA crusade, he has been saying 'Africa is like an atomic bomb waiting to go off' and talks about how America (and Europe I guess...) needs to show the compassion to dismantle a growing disaster. I immediately associated it with his Africa quest rather than some Cold War era thoughts... I really think people put too much stock in titles anyway.

Are the songs good? Yes? Then be quiet...

Axver said:
Can anyone actually provide any real quotes that Bono says you dismantle an atomic bomb with love, or is this just people being overly cynical?

Adding further intrigue is word from an @U2 reader that Christian singer Michael W. Smith told a concert crowd last month about a recent conversation he had with Bono, during which Bono shared a possible album title: How to Dismantle the Atomic Bomb. As Smith tells the story, Bono asked if he (Smith) knew how to dismantle an atomic bomb. Smith said "no," and Bono answered his own question: "Love. With love." Bono and Smith are friends who recently appeared together for the launch of The One Campaign in Philadelphia. (July 12, 2004. )

http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=3444

Kerborus said:
Great album title... If you've been paying attention to his DATA crusade, he has been saying 'Africa is like an atomic bomb waiting to go off' and talks about how America (and Europe I guess...) needs to show the compassion to dismantle a growing disaster. I immediately associated it with his Africa quest rather than some Cold War era thoughts...
Excellent point, and that puts the title in a whole different light for me.
The only thing I'm concerned with is that the average person won't get that underlying meaning and will have a knee-jerk reaction to it. After all, if I didn't get the Africa connection (and I follow U2 pretty closely), how will the average person get it?

Maybe Bono will come out and be very vocal about the meaning of it all so that it will be clear to everyone. Hopefully, anyway.
Kerborus said:
Are the songs good? Yes? Then be quiet...
Yes sir! ;)

Back
Top Bottom