Anyone else hear Streets being sung by a childrens choir for the Utah ad???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UCLAforU2

The Fly
I swear, I was watching TV, and there was an ad for Utah. I thought the faint guitar riff was familiar, and all of a sudden, this children's choir was singin the openning of Streets. It was quite odd.

[This message has been edited by UCLAforU2 (edited 02-21-2002).]

YES! I saw it too!
In fact it was on the Olympics channel about 11:45ish last night, and I jumped on the phone to call my mom, and she was sleeping and she was like "what are you talking about, you're dreaming", and hung up on me.
I like that commercial...will leave tape on tonite!
biggrin.gif

LOL.

My first reaction was, "wait, did i just see that, or was that a dream." just cause I had JUST woken up from passing out on my couch (been a long week). For a while i didnt know wether to post about the commercial because i couldnt remember if it was just a wierd dream or not.

i thought Bono said they would never sell their songs for any commercials ever. I heard it, and I came back into the room astounded, it was such a horrible version saying that Utah was "where the streets have no name" when we all know what Bono wrote that about. Ug and yuck.

Originally posted by U2live:
when we all know what Bono wrote that about.

oh really?

------------------
"Hold on to the corners of today, and we'll fold it up to save until it's needed."

Originally posted by SkeeK:
oh really?

I don't know either...I don't think anyone really does, except I know that I don't think it's about heaven which about a gajillion people seem to think. But maybe I'm wrong and it is about that.

------------------
Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes

what can i give back to God for the blessings he poured out on me?
what can i give back to God for the blessings he poured out on me?
i will lift high the cup of salvation as a toast to our Father...

------------------
Rock 'N Roll is the sound of revenge.

Wow I just saw it.

I wasnt even paying attention but when I heard the chorus it was like electrodes to my brain and my mouth dropped open. lol.

I didnt see this thread either until just now. Weird!

------------------
The wind will crack in winter time
No spoken words, just a scream

My Lair

I'll tell you when else they played Streets - when the hockey players were coming out onto the ice at the beginning of the game....They played the entire song!!!!
It was electrifying...U2, Mario, all the hockey players, the anticipation - got goosebumps I tell you!!!!!!!

well, geographically I believe "where the streets have no name" was a reference to, or inspiration of, Ethiopia ...however it could be a metaphor for many things.

I have not seen this commerical but it sounds bizarre.

I saw it last night during the closing ceremonies. It was totally absurd. I liked it, but it would have been better had they not changed the key.

Wierd, but in SLC, the streets are not named, they're numbered. (I am in no way saying that SLC is where the streets have no name)

Originally posted by Achtung_Bebe:
well, geographically I believe "where the streets have no name" was a reference to, or inspiration of, Ethiopia ...however it could be a metaphor for many things.
We're beaten and blown by the wind
Trampled in dust
I'll show you a place
High on a desert plain
Where the streets have no name

It does sounds like a description of Ethiopia.
I believe the title was influenced also by Bono's visit to Nicaragua, we're famous for not having street names.
I want to take shelter from the poison rain
Where the streets have no name

Back
Top Bottom