Anyone else...........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman

New Yorker
Anyone else wondered wat hapened to the album that bono touted as (along the lines of) ....an album which has edge getting some extraordinary sounds from his guitar and a guitar driven album?
For me, HTDAAB certainly dont come near what I anticipated. I was expecting along the lines of Achtung Baby sound wise. Apart from Yahweh pretty much the through rest of the album could be any guitarist out there and not very edge like.Edge is at his best playing wi his toys and i dont feel that on this record.
Feel free to disagree.

Over the years, I've realized what Bono says about a new album is not always top be true. At the time, maybe, but the final product is pretty much not what Bono says it would be, in the first place. I would LOVE an all out guitar driven album that rocks as much or better as Achtung Baby. Imagine an album that was like HMTMKMKM? :drool:

inmyplace13 said:
Where.
The.
Album.
Has.
A.
Name.

where the album has a name, where the album haas aaaa name, we're still praising then CRIT-I-CI-ZING, CRIT-I-SI-ZING (I dunno how to spell :wink: ), and when I listen, I listen to U2, it's aaaalll I can do

Earnie Shavers said:
U2 Fan Rule 001: Don't believe a word the guy wearing the sunglasses says.

Amen...at times Bono is a wanker full of absolute shit. I believe he said something along the lines of 'Edge has fallen in love with the guitar again' before Pop was released.

Bono, less 'wanking' (lol) and more 'rocking'

aussiedge said:

Amen...at times Bono is a wanker full of absolute shit. I believe he said something along the lines of 'Edge has fallen in love with the guitar again' before Pop was released.

Bono, less 'wanking' (lol) and more 'rocking'

Very funny, but I wouldn't go that far. I think it's a combo of him being a born salesman/hype guy or he's telling the truth, but from what is happening at an early stage of the albums development. Either way, the finished product is NEVER what he says it will be. If you listen to Xanax & Wine or Native Son it sounds a lot closer to his hype, but then listen to the finished products and it's a long way off. Punk rock from Venus?!? Try Wall-Mart.

Sanchez said:
Over the years, I've realized what Bono says about a new album is not always top be true. At the time, maybe, but the final product is pretty much not what Bono says it would be, in the first place. I would LOVE an all out guitar driven album that rocks as much or better as Achtung Baby. Imagine an album that was like HMTMKMKM? :drool:

I tried to guess what HMTMKMKM standed for but I couldn't...can someone tell me please?

I'll have to agree about the guitar thingy. I would have disagreed with Bono if he told me it was guitar driven.

gman said:
Anyone else wondered wat hapened to the album that bono touted as (along the lines of) ....an album which has edge getting some extraordinary sounds from his guitar and a guitar driven album?
For me, HTDAAB certainly dont come near what I anticipated. I was expecting along the lines of Achtung Baby sound wise. Apart from Yahweh pretty much the through rest of the album could be any guitarist out there and not very edge like.Edge is at his best playing wi his toys and i dont feel that on this record.
Feel free to disagree.

And he said that before they stopped working with Chris Thomas and Lanois helped out and before they got Lillywhite. They also said that the album changed direction once Lillywhite came along.

To me it is guitar driven.

It's been a long while since I enjoyed a (Edge) song like I do with Vertigo, All because of you and Love and peace or else.

Yeah, it's not a "punk rock from venus", but HTDAAB is guitar driven... The most of the album and the composition of the songs are the proof to this statement. Maybe the next album corresponds to that Bono's statement
I believe that what was said above is true... Listen to "Native son", "Xanax and wine", "All because of you" (alternate) and we can see that after the bad results with Chris Thomas, the direction changed a bit... But I confess that I love the final product as it is.

I think the production "destroyed" any guitar that was present in the songs.
ie. LAPOE has a Zeppelin-riff and should sound like Whole Lotta Love, or How Many More Times, or Moby Dick. But it doesn't. It sounds too "commercial", if that's the word I'm needing. It's like they're not brave enough to rock out.
And they even thought Vertigo is too rock'n'roll, so they've decided to put it on (iPod) add, just to make it more, well, commercial I think. :|

I wrote my comment AND THEN actually went and listened to the cd...and realised it does include a lot of guitar. It's all over Vertigo, the third verse in City Of Blinding Lights, Love And Peace Or Else, All Because Of You are the heaviest guitar tracks.

Back
Top Bottom