Anyone been to Dublin? Anyone been to The Kitchen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mirrorball Girl

Refugee
Some friends and I are going to Ireland for a week, leaving Thursday, and we're planning to be in Dublin for at least a day. I really want to go to the Kitchen. I was wondering if anyone around here has ever been there, and what it's like. Is it busy? Hard to get in? Intimidating?

Regrettably we won't be staying at the Clarence
wink.gif
but a bed and breakfast on the north side. I know there was a thread awhile ago about what to see and do in Dublin -- but if anyone has anything new to add, I'd love to hear it.

------------------
"The minute anybody starts telling you what God thinks, or exactly why he does such and such, beware. People should never try to make God in man's image, and that's what they're constantly doing." - Madeleine L'Engle, 1963

"Some of my best friends are women. Some of my best friends dress up as women too." - Bono, Hot Press interview

"don't give up, you've got the music in you..."

Well I went once back in the summer of '94 and there weren't problems as far as dress code (it seems to me I've read in a few places that it's one of the most slackest clubs as far as dress code is concerned).
They didn't reject anyone when I was there and it was a busy friday night during the summer, too.

Maybe you'll be as lucky as I was - Bono was sitting in the VIP section on the left of the entrance (behind a black sheet) the entire night whilst the Edge danced away with some girls I went with (I was too busy staring at Bono to go dance with him! silly me, I know!)

I had my first Guinness in the Kitchen.
biggrin.gif

Just dress decently and you should have no problem getting in. I think they have a rule about guys not wearing "sport" jerseys, so watch for that.

Have a great time...it's a cooool club.
smile.gif

-sula

I'm so excited you guys!! It'll be my first time in Ireland. I'm glad the Kitchen doesn't sound too strict or anything. (Not that I'm planning on wearing a t-shirt or something.) Oh, and ladywithspinninghead -- Edge danced with your friends? That's so cool! Yeah, when I read that Paul McGuinness had to track the band down in 4 countries I was like, "So, they have about a week and a half to get back to Dublin to see me, then." Yes, I like to dream.

------------------
"The minute anybody starts telling you what God thinks, or exactly why he does such and such, beware. People should never try to make God in man's image, and that's what they're constantly doing." - Madeleine L'Engle, 1963

"Some of my best friends are women. Some of my best friends dress up as women too." - Bono, Hot Press interview

[This message has been edited by Mirrorball Girl (edited 01-06-2002).]

I never made it inside the Kitchen, but a good friend of mine gave it a bad review. The Octogon Bar inside the Clarence is good for a pint and apparently Bono goes there every Thursday night for a few when he is at home.

------------------
"we're free to fly the crimsom sky...the sun won't melt our wings tonight..."

Have a great time in Dublin!

Went to the Kitchen in the summer. Relatively easy to get in - just don't turn up in a tracksuit!
wink.gif
Bono goes there most Thursdays when he's home... but if you're Bono-spotting, dress up and try Lillie's Bordello - he hangs out there a few times a week.

Good luck!
biggrin.gif

I went to the kitchen in 1997 (I was 26) - and they made me show my passport!!! If you have a youngish face, be sure to bring ID! LOL!

Have a great time!
smile.gif

I was there also. Very funky place. Check out the RED room.

I do believe its a 23 and over club - so bring ID!

------------------
...Its no secret that a liar won't believe in anyone else...

Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead:

Well I went once back in the summer of '94 and there weren't problems as far as dress code (it seems to me I've read in a few places that it's one of the most slackest clubs as far as dress code is concerned).
They didn't reject anyone when I was there and it was a busy friday night during the summer, too.

Maybe you'll be as lucky as I was - Bono was sitting in the VIP section on the left of the entrance (behind a black sheet) the entire night whilst the Edge danced away with some girls I went with (I was too busy staring at Bono to go dance with him! silly me, I know!)

ladywithspinninghead-
I was there also in the summer of '94! To be exact, it was July 10th- my 21st birthday! Yep, I became legal in the Kitchen with everyone buying me drinks
wink.gif
I remember more than I probably should of my night there... the little yellow duckies floating in the "moat" around the dance floor were too cute- I kept wanting to take one home with me
biggrin.gif
The bouncers outside the entrance even took a picture with me cause it was my birthday! Everyone was soooo nice & I had a BLAST! Danced my butt off until the wee hours then my friends helped me to call a cab back to UCD for a couple of hours of sleep until I had to be in class. What a great birthday!!

HAVE A GREAT TIME, MIRRORBALL GIRL
smile.gif

Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead:

seriously? damn girl, that's pretty cool.

have fun in dublin, mirrorball girl!
smile.gif

------------------
)|( Vande )|(

"Rock 'n' roll is a term that's been heavily abused. It's not
something you can buy in a record shop. It's an attitude." -Adam

"And I wear grey underwear." -Bono

Everyday can be a beautiful day. Don't let it get away.

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

It?s cold outside, but brightly lit...

Thanks, everyone! Lillie's Bordello sounds like it would be fun, as well, but I don't know if I could convince my friends. What do you have to be wearing to get in there? I know it has a really strict dress code most nights. Wait, what's 23 and over?? Confused. I certainly hope it isn't 23 and over, because I'm only 22. We'll probably be in Dublin on a Wednesday night. Unfortunately we leave on Thursday, or I'd be hanging around in the Octagon Bar.
smile.gif
Of course, I have no idea whether Bono (or anyone else) will even be in Dublin. Ah well. We'll have a great time no matter what.

------------------

Yup - I distinctly remember a bunch of the clubs in Dublin being 23 and over - which I thought was especially strange since the drinking age is 18. This was in 1997 when I was 23 - which is probably why I remember the age thing. My friend and I let out a sigh of relief cause we just made it.

Though - as a woman - they might just let it slide! And it may have changed since 97!

Have a great time - its a cool place.

Oh and if you order beer - get it in a bottle. They were having a little "problem" with extra stuff getting in the draft beer back then! All I know was that by that point in the trip my friend and I were up to about 10 drinks a nite for 2 weeks without being smashed. That nite we had 2 beers and were completely off the wall. Be careful!

------------------

Yikes! Well, here's to being female I suppose. I have the attitude to pull it off, so I'm just going to hope I don't have any problems.
wink.gif
You know, I'd be happy if the clubs weren't 23 and over, but part of me is kind of tickled that I'm still "too young" for something. I thought the thrill of getting into places illegally had ended when I turned 21.

Well when I went in '94 I was only 19 and there were no problems at all...I don't remember being asked for i.d. (and I DID/do look younger than my age according to most).

Yeah, as far as Bono...I had done the "stalker" thing during the day and visited his house (forgive me - I was a 19year old freak!) and the guards around there said that Bono was in France and definitely not in the country. So imagine the look on my face when I saw Bono sitting there when I got in. When you first enter, there's a bench on the right side and I spent most of the night sitting there, staring at him...I really was a loser! but at least I had a drink in my hand and I'd pretend to talk to the people around me from time to time. One woman sitting beside Bono got up to go to the washroom and saw me - she told him this upon her return and he just turned to the side and just started laughing and laughing at me...I had never felt so embarrassed....Needless to say, I got up and went to the dancefloor instead (where like I said some Australian girls I had gone with were dancing with Edge!)

Ah, what a night...how foolish I was...
wink.gif

lol poor lady, reminds me of a story someone I met in line told me about how she went to this restaurant (also after unsuccessfully stalking all day) and found herself and her friends sitting right across his table. The girl refused to stop staring as she was convinced this was the last time she would see him up close she was gonna gonna take in every millisecond. Eventually, right as he finished his meal, Bono puts down his utensils and returns her gawking look holding it for a couple of seconds then laughs it off. He finishes his meal, leaving the poor girl completely humiliated and with nowhere to go except under the table.

Of course this is all in good fun, but it does make you think twice about wishing to meeet him.

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian

Mrs. Edge, I was there in 1997 too! Pretty cool club, though it was smaller than I expected. Red room is a trip. The Irish lads were very nice to buy drinks
smile.gif

As I remember, it's best to get there (and it's just a nondescript door on Temple Bar)at around 11:15p and I think they let the crowd in at 11:30 or so. Might have changed by now, though, you can ask at the Clarence.

ARGH!!! I'm confused, I don't know why but I always thought that most European nations didn't have age limits on drinking. Anyways I plan on going to Ireland over the summer so I could use some help here so that I don't do anything silly and get arrested.

Is there a drinking age in Ireland? If so what is it? Are the age limits you guys talking about simply to get in the clubs? If so what is the usual minimum age to get in? Are pubs the same way?

Yes these are probably the stupidest set of questions ever asked in this forum but I'm not much of drinker so it's not the kind of info that comes to me easily.

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian

Originally posted by mbi16:
ARGH!!! I'm confused, I don't know why but I always thought that most European nations didn't have age limits on drinking. Anyways I plan on going to Ireland over the summer so I could use some help here so that I don't do anything silly and get arrested.

Is there a drinking age in Ireland? If so what is it? Are the age limits you guys talking about simply to get in the clubs? If so what is the usual minimum age to get in? Are pubs the same way?

Yes these are probably the stupidest set of questions ever asked in this forum but I'm not much of drinker so it's not the kind of info that comes to me easily.

I don't remember being asked my age anywhere I went while I was there. I was 21 at the time and this was last year. So, I dunno. Someone from Ireland want to help us out?

-sula

Whew, MysteriousWays posted just as I wrote my question and that cleared some confusion. But I'm curious is the 23+ still common in the clubs?

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian

Whew, MysteriousWays posted just as I wrote my question and that cleared some confusion. But I'm curious is the 23+ still common in the clubs?

i don't know if it's common, but in Dublin last august, a couple of the guys i was hanging out with were turned away for being under 23. none of the girls were, though. go figure!

actually, i have encountered this same phenomenon in NYC, too. but it only ever happens to guys... not very fair.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
I don't remember being asked my age anywhere I went while I was there. I was 21 at the time and this was last year. So, I dunno. Someone from Ireland want to help us out?

-sula

Well Sula you're so tall (well compared to me) that I think it would be hard for anyone to think you were under 18, 21, or 23 for that matter
wink.gif
I on the other hand, get IDed to go watch an R movie *rolls eyes*

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian

Originally posted by *Ally*:
i don't know if it's common, but in Dublin last august, a couple of the guys i was hanging out with were turned away for being under 23. none of the girls were, though. go figure!

actually, i have encountered this same phenomenon in NYC, too. but it only ever happens to guys... not very fair.

Lemme guess, the bouncers are all male.

In any case it's the same thing with Frat parties. All the girls in the world can get in, but only the guys that belong to the Frat are allowed in. I wonder why. It's so stupid I don't even bother, in fact I couldn't even tell where the frat houses are on campus. Sad uh?

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian

Like I said - being a woman you probably won't have to worry as much about your age!! And it was only in clubs that I encounterd the 23 rule. As for pubs you could be 16 and get in - they aren't very strick about IDing in a bunch of places. Especially ouside of Temple Bar.

As long as you go up to the door as a confidentwoman with no fear of getting turned down you should be fine! If you look nervous they might ask. So go with the "I'm getting in and dancing with Bono" attitude and you'll have a great time!

You are going to love every minute of being in Dublin. I wish I was going with you!

------------------

I went to the Kitchen last December. It was definitely different - lots of smoke, techno music, pretty young crowd. There was quite a line out the door when I went, but it was right around Christmas. Dress well but not over the top - lots of black, etc. - typical night club attire. I do remember the age being 23, which was just last year. They asked me for my passport too, which is funny since I am well into my 30s. (but I do look young for my age). I had a great time, but definitely a crowd, and definitely loud!

Have fun in Ireland! I love Dublin.

Peace

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

Well Sula you're so tall (well compared to me) that I think it would be hard for anyone to think you were under 18, 21, or 23 for that matter
wink.gif

lol. You do have a point. (has been mistaken for 25 since she was 17
tongue.gif
)

Back
Top Bottom