Any update on U2 playing "Live Earth"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZOOTVTOURist

Refugee
Hi y'all,

with now the reports about the climate finally being spread all over the media worldwide, Al Gore's documentary being honoured by the Oscar-Academy and getting more attention in the USA plus more and more rumours about the "Live Earth"-gigs really happening, there remains one open question regarding U2:
If organised right, will the band participate in this event, that might be one of the most important musical happenings ever? Does anybody have any update on this idea?

U2 were rumored to be part of the lineup, but there's been no announcement about them yet. My guess is that they'll wait until closer to the show dates to make a commitment, in order to help build hype and generate additional press for the concerts (and themselves).

The only band I've seen "Confirmed" is Muse...Apparently so.

Other stars rumoured to be playing include U2, The Spice Girls, The Police, Oasis, Robbie Williams, Radiohead, Keane, Kylie Minogue and Coldplay and the venue for the London leg of the event is rumoured to be the newly constructed Wembley Stadium.

And I believe the Spice Girls have announced they will reunite for this too....my 10 year old self is :hyper:...but my 19 year old self is :shifty:

:lol:

^ I read that, too. It makes sense. If global warming becomes the new do-gooder "fad," then Africa might get pushed aside. Which is a shame, since Africa is a real crisis. *runs away*

love2bmama said:
Matt at @u2 made a good point in his column on Sunday...he's guessing that the band might choose not to take part in this concert because they don't want to "dilute the band's Africa message". It makes a lot of sense to me.

Here's a link to the column:
http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=4562

The issues of global warming and Africa's struggles are highly inter-related, and I suspect that Bono is aware of that. Poor nations and those with agricultural-based economies will bear the brunt of global warming's effects.

I think we'll see U2 play, but I bet the announcement won't come until much closer to the concert dates.

Africa is the more immediate crisis, but global warming has the potential to be Africa X 50. People have to open their eyes, not just see the obvious right in front of them.

Rachel D. said:
^ I read that, too. It makes sense. If global warming becomes the new do-gooder "fad," then Africa might get pushed aside. Which is a shame, since Africa is a real crisis. *runs away*

Yahweh_OMG said:
I bet U2 won't play......

I would put money on your prediction and I'm not a gambling man at all. :wink:

If U2 take part in this at all it wont be at one of the concerts. I could see them doing some live feed from Dublin or taped segment with a message of support or something similiar. But I dont think you will see U2 perform live on stage at this event.

U2 will probably just rehash one of their live staples and play it. So it won't be any definitive version of any song. It will just be like any other all-star convert such as Live8 or the Tibetan Freedom concert that won't be remembered for the song selection or performance but remembered more for just U2's being present. So it doesn't really excite me.

Thanx for your infos and answers so far, friends. Now I have thought longer about the possibility of U2 participating:

Politically a statement of artists and audiences united worldwide in mid-summer would be important - because what is now in the news, might be forgotten by media and peoples' minds tomorrow. And climate is an issue, that can't be forgotten anymore really. A lot more politicians and people (myself including) have to become more aware of it worldwide - we need action, not words! Just think about "Live Aid": It didn't change the world from one day to another - but the whole world was watching. Watching artists united raising their voice and watching crying injustice & death: images noone, who watched the concerts and read the reports, ever will forget in his life. So "Live Aid" at least made aware, did even change our way of thinking, did change our minds. In other words sensibility had its victory. Of course this is not enough, but it is a starting point. "Live Earth" could do the same ...

Then it really has to do a lot with U2's engangement for Africa/The Third World/Those, who have no voice with political impact. Because solutions/restrictions/treaties worldwide of course must include as many countries as possible (including the U.S. / China/ etc., who are no Kyoto-fans yet...), but especially those countries, where unfortunately crisis & chaos are already there.

And don't forget: Musically it might be interesting, too. The band could play a mini-gig without being put in a frame given by a current tour, given by a current image (photo icons, outfit, stage & merchandise design etc.) or even given by current setlists. They just could walk on stage, four guys just playing what they feel at this very special moment.
Oh yes, I'd appreciate U2 playing ...

Rachel D. said:

Poverty or No Poverty Africa is still part of the world, they are just as fucked as we are when it comes to global warming.
'
I could care less if U2 play this gig or not...its not like we've not heard Beautiful Day/One/Some Other Song That's Always Played At these events.
but on the other hand It would be good to see them out there again.

HAHAHA Spot on Perrypickwick.....or the 'Billions' of tonnes of coal/electricity that was needed to Fuel ZOO/POP/VERTIGO tours!!!

IMO Live Earth comes too close from Live 8 to be taken seriously...its Al Gore trying to rip off Bob Geldof

sorry europop2005 but that's just bull*** - not the main point! :wink:

1. the problem I see that Live 8 couldn't be taken seriously by some people is just that some of the Stars aren't very good examples for great Environmentalist. With all their cars and private planes...
U2 aren't that for sure - like I said the thing with the planes and Brotherborat mentions the stages and the big tours.
The funniest thing would be John Travolta participating in LiveEarth -
that's his house:
http://www.phoenixrealestateguy.com/images/travolta.jpg

(would be cool ife all the Stars drive with a bicycle to the concert - and then also a very redunant stage - with no lightning at all...:wink: )

2. I really don't think Al Gore "trying to rip off Bob Geldorf" :eyebrow: the issue is sooooo important - it seems to me that many people should become more aware of the danger (me either)- and such a concert could rouse the attention and bring on the talking - good thing...:up:

Last edited:
In the irish news, the first word about live-earth, was that u2 and razorlight were the first ones said to be playing in it, but since then u2 haven't been mentioned since!

Back
Top Bottom