Any seeing Episode 2 tonight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by STING2:
Well I must say, Episode II is vastly superior to Episode I. But its still not on the level of IV, V, and VI. I was disapointed by much of the special effects of Episode I, but this was much better.

I'm going to see this in about 1.5 hours (on Sat., May 18th - yes, gasp, I waited 2 days!).

I quoted STING2 because no matter how good or bad Episode II is, I think people have over-glorified the initial trilogy and forgotten how bad some of it really was.

First, "Return of the Jedi" should have been called "Return of the Muppets." All those silly, stupid, little creatures around Jabba the Hut made me feel like I was watching a Saturday morning cartoon show, not a good sci-fi flick. And don't get me started on the ridiculous Ewoks. People complain about Jar Jar Binks, but all those muppets and Ewoks in "Return of the Jedi" made me happy that there wouldn't be another "Star Wars" film for a long time, as I really felt Lucas had lost his edge (and this was in '83).

When I saw Episode I in '99, I didn't hate it like so many others. In fact, this brings me to STING2's second comment. I was blown away by the effects in that film and still am. Remember, '99 also featured blockbusters like "The Matrix" and "The Mummy," so I was primed for an effects film and "Phantom Menace" still amazed me.

In the initial "Star Wars" we had three unknowns carrying the lead roles. Their lack of acting experience often showed through as well. And if you think Anakin whines in this film, rewatch "Star Wars" and see how much Luke whines and how much Leia throws little tantrums - it's clear that they would be children of Anakin.
biggrin.gif

Therefore, even if I dislike Episode II, I won't have some ridiculous expectations (like I did back way back in '83). I haven't over-glorified the original trilogy because it had more than its share of weak moments. And I think I will really come away enjoying this film.

Besides, even though I'll see it in a bit, I already have a boot copy on DVD and I couldn't resist watching about 10 minutes of it - not bad at all.
biggrin.gif

I'll take a muppet or a guy in a suit and mask any day over a computer generated images from Episode I that turned it into something I use to watch as a child on Saturday mornings. Bottom line is that the environments and special effects of the original movies I felt were superior to the Episode I computer generated images. Models of space ships against a blue screen that later has the space background put in looks more real to me than what is seen in Episode I.

But with Episode II, I feel the computer generated images have improved and this was much better. I admit, I think the originals are classics. The only bad thing about the Ewoks was their small size. Originally Endor and the Ewoks were supposed to be Wookies and Chewbacca's home planet, but Lucas decided against that because he had Chewie flying spaceships and operating sophisticated equipment. The race had to be a primitive race to fit the story line.
I did not find anything wrong with Jabba 's scene and the creature in there. Just an improvement over the first movies creature scenes. In fact I have often thought of Return Of The Jedi as my favorite of the original trilogy. Certainly everyone has different opinions on the original trilogy. But the opinions that find weakness in the originals are in the minority. Looking at the business side of things, when adjusted for inflation, Star Wars IV is the biggest money maker of all time.(with the exception of Gone With The Wind 1939) The other two movies from the original serious are in the top 15 and both are ahead of Episode I.

For me it was a vast improvement over Episode 1, but still not quite to the level of the original trilogy. The depth of these characters just seems lacking, not so much the actors' fault(though Hayden C. seemed very stiff, especially the first half of the movie), but the script. Lucas seems to be concentrating more on the visuals. Still a very good film, but after seeing both, this will clearly go down as the summer of Spider-Man.

Back
Top Bottom