Any official reason for a non full Milan DVD ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
I know there were problems on one of the two nights they filmed, but there should still be plenty of material filmed.

I read somewhere the band and Willie Williams weren't satisfied with the footage but a) why release anything, then? and b) why not satisfied ?
Sure the DVD starts like a typical Hamilton shoot but starting with I still haven't found what I'm looking for the direction really improves and I think H. Hamilton would really be vindicated with a full Milan.

Plus the fans wouldn't need to put together the official stadium Vertigo DVD with Milan and U2-3D.

There were a few reasons I heard, but no idea if any of them are true.

1. There was a power issue on the first show, the first 45 minutes of the show weren't filmed and Hamilton only had one version of the songs from the seciond night.

2. As Bono said they were making a little movie, the emphasis being on 'little' maybe this was the plan all along.

3. Releasing the entire gig along with the 18 singles disc would have increased the price tag too much

4. Chicago was already out there.

Who knows :shrug: I'm not certain either show displays U2 at their best, Chicago comes out a little flat and Bono's voice isn't really on form at Milan.

There's a petition going around for the full release though.

I was there on the first night and it was such a good gig, especially because everybody knew they were recording to publish and we were all so expectant to become part of another legendary U2 live show.
When the cut DVD came out I was soooo disappointed!!

DevilsShoes said:
Bono's voice isn't really on form at Milan.

There's a petition going around for the full release though.

What do you mean it wasn't really on form at Milan??? Have you forgotten the amazing performance with Miss Sarajevo?

I was literaly in tears (also because it was dedicated to the poeple who died in the London terror attacks that I missed in a stroke of luck javascript:smilie(':ohmy:')
javascript:smilie(':ohmy:'))

Oh Miss Sarajevo's the best song of the night I agree, plus I found his dedication very touching, particuarly being so close to home, but overall I felt his voice was better at Chicago, the crowd was a bit lacking, the Milan audience were far more energised.

I think the crowds on Boston AND Chicago official DVDs are rubbish. Compare to the European Crowds on Milan and Slane who are more into it.

DevilsShoes said:
Oh Miss Sarajevo's the best song of the night I agree, plus I found his dedication very touching, particuarly being so close to home, but overall I felt his voice was better at Chicago, the crowd was a bit lacking, the Milan audience were far more energised.

I can't agree here, Bono's voice on the Chicago show was one of the worst nights for Bono on Vertigo tour. He was ill that night.

On Milan, I don't find Bono's voice weak at all on that night, only that he has a little hoarse sound in his voice, you can hear it specialy on AIWIY in the end when he screams, but I think that hoarse sound makes the sound intressting. Milan has one of the best performences on that song on the whole tour and the same with Miss Sarajevo. I have never heard him in antoher show sing the L'amoure note so good like he did on that night.

I think Milan is tons better than Chicago, and other than a few touches, Hamish did a pretty decent job with Milan. The crowd is infinitely better.

Regarding #3 - It would cost a bit more up front to produce and mix an entire concert, but there's no difference in pressing a 10 song DVD and a 22 song DVD, is there?

i would much and i mean MUCH rather see a release of vertigo melbourn, even if it was just the footage used from the screens at the show, i would much rather see a show with a long emotional version of kite.

otherwise if i had to choose a show, i wouldnt choose milan, its only good as the short dvd that it is. i think something from the last leg of the tour would be more appropriate. one of the large outdoor shows like sao paulo etc.

Maybe it will be the new gift from U2.com if you suscribe as a member :) Or we get a cd with the whole Mexico show... But why? We already got the Hasta La vista cd, sure it isnt the whole show.

I would prefer a full DVD of U2-3D, but to get 22 songs instead of 14-15, as anounced.
The South American seem to be great - although Bono's voice only became brilliant on the 5th leg - very emotional. On the other hand, the Milan setlist(s) seem to be too much similar to the one available on the Chicago DVD, and the 4th leg has some more subtle differences - it has too "Miss Sarajevo" instead of RTSS, it has "Mothers Of The Disappeared", UTEOTW, it has "All I Want Is You" too...
And... Bono's voice was not great at all in Milan - as someone said, WOWY in Milan is painful to listen, for instance.

prideofzootv said:
i would much and i mean MUCH rather see a release of vertigo melbourn, even if it was just the footage used from the screens at the show, i would much rather see a show with a long emotional version of kite.

otherwise if i had to choose a show, i wouldnt choose milan, its only good as the short dvd that it is. i think something from the last leg of the tour would be more appropriate. one of the large outdoor shows like sao paulo etc.

I completely agree, 5th leg Bono was brilliant, the late Australian shows were so much more interesting, there was something sponteneous and unpredictable about them, which made them so much more appealing for me. They have that special feel of an event about them rather than just another stop on the tour. Any of them would have made awesome concert DVD's and I too would love to have some great footage of one of those long versions of Kite. I think a professional film of any of these late gigs would have really displayed the Vertigo tour (and Bono) at their finest, something I personally felt that Chicago and Milan never quite achieved.

All the shows mentioned have their good and not so good moments, and I agree, a full DVD from any of the last leg concerts would be brilliant: Great setlist, great voice, great outdoor audience.

Back
Top Bottom