Anton comments on new album photography and Please video.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swan269

Rock n' Roll Doggie
from our good friends at the log.

He was slightly reluctant when he said that he is in the middle of photographing U2 for the upcoming album.

That?s right. We are currently working in London, where the photos are to be taken. We are not working from any one special theme, but instead we take the pictures based on a feeling. Right now, I?m trying to sort them out
, he laughed, speaking about the band members.
This was all that Corbijn wanted to tell, but he gave all the more beef on the recording of the ?Please? video, which was also shown to the 400 spectators in the Expolaris conference center.

We recorded it in a studio and it cost a ton of money. The clouds were added in post production, as we recorded everything against a blue screen.
About the theme of the video, Corbijn had the following to say:

U2 never said it right out, but I understood the song to be about the conflict in Nothern Ireland so this was my point of reference. Everyone is on their knees, except the old bearded man, who portrays God. He is standing up until the very end. I guess one can say that the video has a duality to it. In part it is about Northern Ireland, and in part about religion as a whole.
Corbijn says that he is dissatisfied with the end of the video, which was too unreal and overstated. He thinks it would have been better if the video was to end with a close up of Bono. But the most unexpected thing was that the official version of the ?Please? video is not the version Corbijn liked the most. In Corbijn?s version Bono is bursting into tears.

This song means the world to him and when we recorded the video he could not stop the tears. It was very emotional. But Bono did not want this version shown on MTV so we had to edit it.

Even though the new album information isn't a lot or very discriptive, at least we know that things for the new album are moving along.........I always knew that Please meant a lot to Bono but I didn't know it touched him that deeply.

Yeah, I never liked the ending of the "Please" video. It's just so out-of-place. The rest is about perfect, though. I think seeing Bono crying would've been a bit much, though.

Back
Top Bottom