another unheard of U2 fact

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bildo

The Fly
I was reading the CD reviews in the last issue of Maxim, and they did a review on that Ramones tribute album. In keeping with Maxim's affinity for useless little tidbits of information, they had a little thing about U2's early days. Useless to anyone who isnt a U2 fan, anyway.
It said that when they were first getting started (I think it mightve said circa 1980), they had a chance to appear on an English TV show. They had to play for the tv executives first, though. In order to ensure they got on the show, U2 played two Ramones songs and told the executives that they were their songs.
It didnt say if they got the gig or not....

They got the gig!

IIRC, it was for the Late Show in Ireland (it might be one which they played in the Cork Opera House in Cork on 5 October 1979, that one ended with Glad To See You Go).

C ya!

Marty

im not marty, or a dear, but im pretty sure it stands for

If I recall correctly

Martha honey, Chizip reacted a bit faster than me (at that time I was driving home after a long day of work...)

:D

Oh, BTW (that's an acronym for By The Way :p) since I'm home now I can check it a little bit in the excellent book U2 Live: A Concert Documentary (a new edition is coming later this year :hyper: ). Anyway, it says that this concert was U2's television debut as the concert was broadcasted on RTE, so it's very probable that this is the said show.

C ya!

Marty

Lucky it was the Ramones. a lot of bands are so anal they might have tried to see our boys.

bono said in an interview (i can't remember what interview i'm talking about, it was a clip on either something ran on vh1 or mtv i think, i just watched this yesterday...i should remember...but i don't) that some important tv dude was coming around to check out the band and they were all fighting and couldn't figure out what to play, so tehy played 2 ramones songs and told the guy they wrote them, got on the tv show cos the person thought they were really good, and when it came time to actually do the performance they played their own songs.

Back
Top Bottom