Another uneducated attack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On another message board, I asked what everyone's favorite U2 songs were. Here's one of the replies:

"Personally I think 99% of every U2 song is exactly the same they've been using the same bass line and drum track for 5 fucking albums."

Is he talking about the same band? Didn't think so.

this is coming from someone who I am sure who likes bands who play metal, country, reggae, and new age. there has to be a different singer in every song and they all have to alternate instruments. I love it when people say that....how could the same band have songs from Numb to I Will Follow to Trip Through Your Wires to MLK to Zoo Station.......

Originally posted by Mulholland Drive:
On another message board, I asked what everyone's favorite U2 songs were. Here's one of the replies:

"Personally I think 99% of every U2 song is exactly the same they've been using the same bass line and drum track for 5 fucking albums."

Is he talking about the same band? Didn't think so.

What a sadly misguided individual...

But maybe they are one of those people who thinks that U2 is a new band. Believe it or not, I have come across people who think that ATYCLB is the band's debut album!

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

Originally posted by wertsie:

wertsie, nice wording.
biggrin.gif

Well, I heard a good friend of mine rip on Edge (which is oh so not ok) the other day. He was talking about Edge's echo use:

friend: Edge uses too much echo.

me: how many number one songs have you got?

friend: shut up.

I think I took care of that nicely.

------------------
"Why do you have to be such a smart ass?" -my mom

Originally posted by Lilly:

*lol*!!

------------------
"I'm nearly great, but there's something missing..."

Originally posted by Lilly:
wertsie, nice wording.
biggrin.gif

Well, I heard a good friend of mine rip on Edge (which is oh so not ok) the other day. He was talking about Edge's echo use:

I think I took care of that nicely.

Just my thinking....how many songs they know of U2?

------------------
Please...don't make me say please, champagne and ice cream, it's not what I want, it's what I need.

I think sometimes we really do take this band too seriously to the point of letting what others say affect us the way I've seen it in this forum to the point that we bring someone else's words in who we don't even know and we slander them and go against the very philosophy we find in U2's music and message.

I, for one, have seen for 22 years U2 get slammed by music fans and critics alike, and I've seen them address all of it with grace and dignity. I hope that we can all remember that in this forum, and realize that what we have is "the secret", and that not everyone is going to get it, even though many of us in this forum have. I'm still in awe of U2 after all these years and let the people out there say what they will say about U2, but it will never sway me away from loving U2, or make me dislike someone because they disagree with me.

Chris

Good point, Chris.
Yeah, I know that I take things too seriously sometimes. I always say that the easiest way to piss me off is to say anything bad about U2. Nothing anyone can say will change the way I feel about them. I don't like it when people diss them. It's like somebody dissing a member of my family, and NOBODY messes with my family!

If other people don't get it, that's their loss, I guess.

------------------

If he were referring to INXS, he wouldn't be far from the truth. I've always thought their songs were all the same and all based on the same riff, with the exception of Never Tear Us Apart. But if he said that about U2, he doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground.

------------------
"I've been all over,
and it's been all over me!"

Originally posted by wertsie:

But maybe they are one of those people who thinks that U2 is a new band. Believe it or not, I have come across people who think that ATYCLB is the band's debut album!

Wow, that is frightening.

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Originally posted by spanisheyes:

I hope that we can all remember that in this forum, and realize that what we have is "the secret", and that not everyone is going to get it

That's a really cool way of looking at U2 fandom!
smile.gif

I, myself, have also been guilty of taking criticism of U2's songs personally. When somebody knocks a song that had such a powerful emotional effect on me that the song has become internalized and become a part of me, it's easy to lose sight of what exactly the person is criticizing.

[This message has been edited by kariatari (edited 04-14-2002).]

Originally posted by spanisheyes:
I think sometimes we really do take this band too seriously to the point of letting what others say affect us the way I've seen it in this forum to the point that we bring someone else's words in who we don't even know and we slander them and go against the very philosophy we find in U2's music and message.

I, for one, have seen for 22 years U2 get slammed by music fans and critics alike, and I've seen them address all of it with grace and dignity. I hope that we can all remember that in this forum, and realize that what we have is "the secret", and that not everyone is going to get it, even though many of us in this forum have. I'm still in awe of U2 after all these years and let the people out there say what they will say about U2, but it will never sway me away from loving U2, or make me dislike someone because they disagree with me.

Chris

Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes:
hey, at least they're not duran duran where they get no positive reviews!
biggrin.gif
even the imagination of critics is limited

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Duran Duran weren't that bad, I thought their 1993 Wedding Album was pretty good. Suprised they enjoyed success in the 90's after the decade known to many as the 80's.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Originally posted by david:
Duran Duran weren't that bad, I thought their 1993 Wedding Album was pretty good. Suprised they enjoyed success in the 90's after the decade known to many as the 80's.

You know, I've actually always enjoyed Duran Duran. They're a fun group.

------------------

Originally posted by Mulholland Drive:

The guy who said this was simply quoting Henry Rollins. If he's not going to think for himself and research what he's saying, you should probably ignore him.

Back
Top Bottom