Another Time, Another Place is tight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's not one of my favorites. I like the chorus, but Bono's voice bugs me.

When he sings "I'll be with you now," he sounds like he has a cold of epic proportions. Or something. It just sounds really weird to me.

hmm, Bono's voice doesn't really bother me, it sounds about like it does on all of Boy :shrug:

this is kind of a creepy song. I love the atmosphere. All of Boy has it, but somehow this song comes across as particularly eerie, especially with Bono's gaelic vocals. The way he delivers it makes him sound posessed or something :huh: I suppose it gets lost in the awesomeness that is Boy (I mean, it's right before The Electric Co), but I really like it.

AtomicBono said:

I agree

the first half of War is amazing, but the second half is pretty forgettable. U2's most lopsided album.

If we go by popularity of tracks then i'd say War wins easily, by virtue of SBS and NYD.

But Boy runs together so well. Its one of the few albums U2 albums i have no trouble listening to in its original tracklisting.

For a long time, I could really take or leave Boy. But around about the time the tour started up, I really listened to it for the first time in some years, and was surprised by how much I liked it.

Boy :up:

LOve Another Time Another Place, but then I love Boy altogether. And yes, it's one of the only U2 albums I can listen listen to start to finish without skipping or changing the order.

Boy is magical. I think it is probably the only U2 album I have bought and loved from start to finish straight away. My exact words as it finished was "what a fucking awesome album!!" Very underrated.

AtomicBono said:

I agree

the first half of War is amazing, but the second half is pretty forgettable. U2's most lopsided album.

Agree completey I've been saying this for years!!!

Okay, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Seconds, New Year's Day, Like a Song, Drowning Man = pretty goodam flawless. And then you get The Refugee, Red Light, Surrender, Two Hearts Beat as One and 40. 40 and THBAO are great but...

Boy = Absolutely Fantastic... I'm tempted to say that a re-recording would be the wasp's patellae, but I may get shot down in flames, since it'll probably be overproduced and lose its magick.

coolian2 said:
Boy > War

I agree. It's better by a mile than War. The only War songs I listen to regularly are Two Hearts Beat As One and Like a Song. SBS is great, but there are many live versions that are better than the original track.

Boy is an amazing debut album. Really there isn't a bad song on it. The songwriting is pretty sophisticated given Bono's age and it flows so well. Edge was on fire even back then.

Another Time, Another Place wasn't a song I liked when I first got Boy, but it's grown on me a lot. It's the perfect track to build up to The Electric Co.

david said:
all of Boy is pretty tight.

:up:

The only thing that brings the album down for me is Bono's vocals which were still pretty poor at this point.

War > Boy BTW. More variety, better vocals, production, instrumentation...etc. It almost sounds like a different band. I think Boy is overrated on interference and War is way underrated simply because one of those two albums is still fresh for many.

AtomicBono said:
Why does no one ever talk about this song? It's a killer track. I love Edge's solo.

Boy... :drool:

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You....

I feel the same way. I could listen to this song over and over--and I have. Its slightly dark and meanecing and I like the 'driven-ness' of the sound.

COBL_04 said:

Agree completey I've been saying this for years!!!

Okay, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Seconds, New Year's Day, Like a Song, Drowning Man = pretty goodam flawless. And then you get The Refugee, Red Light, Surrender, Two Hearts Beat as One and 40. 40 and THBAO are great but...

The Refugee is fun but by no means a classic U2 track. Two Hearts and Surrender are good but overrated. Red Light sucks and 40 works much better as a live closer - on the album it's kinda meh.

but Boy is an amazing debut album and that sound I think has become very influencial. When I hear a band that sounds like U2, Boy is usually one of the albums it reminds me of (UF and JT are the other two common ones). But more than that, it's just an overall solid album. The only somewhat forgettable track is The Ocean, but I don't mind it much. The album needs a moment to breathe.

Stories For Boys sucks. Worst song on Boy. :down:

I like The Ocean, but it's not great or anything...

But An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart, OOC, Electric Co, A Day Without Me, and Shadows And Tall Trees are all perfect to these ears. :drool:

I accept Bono's vocals as a kind of 80s thing, woah oahwwwwww oahwwwwwww.

Everyone had to sing and emphasize the Os as if they were OAHWWWWWWWs. Maybe you can thank Video Killed the Radio Star for that.

Oahwwwww-ah-oahwwwwwwwwwww! :dance:

LemonMelon said:
Stories For Boys sucks. Worst song on Boy. :down:

really? I love Stories for Boys, one of my faves. My dad really likes it too, and my dad is Kevin Bacon. Kevin Bacon > you :wink:

My second favourite U2 album after AB.... and actually almost everything they were doing at the time (78-80) is great. So raw, so powerful, so much energy.

LemonMelon said:

War > Boy BTW. More variety, better vocals, production, instrumentation...etc. It almost sounds like a different band. I think Boy is overrated on interference and War is way underrated simply because one of those two albums is still fresh for many.
prairiedogyb66uv4.gif

I LOVE Boy! Another Time, Another Place was not one of my favourites to begin with (only because I loved Electric Co so much I kept on skipping past it)... but now I love it just as much as everything else on Boy. I love Edge's solo too, and Bono's gaelic... lol, I'm not sure why...

If you want to see a great live performance of it, check out the Hattem video from the Spiral Staircase... there's an interview first, then Gloria, then Another Time Another Place :) Awesome stuff...

http://u2 -thespiralstaircase.blogspot. com/2006/11/hattem-1982-05-14-video.html

Back
Top Bottom