Another Speech by Paul Mcguinness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ramblin rose

Site Team
Staff member
Posted on U2.com

U2.com | Official News

It's kind of long so I won't post the entire speech. But he did say something not exactly about the recording industry but about live nation which I didn't know.

Live Nation also have big plans as they get their ticketing rights back from Ticketmaster this year in North America, next year in the rest of the world. They have discovered that when customers are online to buy tickets, they are inclined at the same time to buy other products including physical and digital music and merchandise.

I'm assuming that maybe we will be buying our tickets directly from Live Nation if there is a tour next year and not from ticketmaster? I've never purchased tickets from them directly, how is there fee structure?

Posted on U2.com

U2.com | Official News

It's kind of long so I won't post the entire speech. But he did say something not exactly about the recording industry but about live nation which I didn't know.

I'm assuming that maybe we will be buying our tickets directly from Live Nation if there is a tour next year and not from ticketmaster? I've never purchased tickets from them directly, how is there fee structure?

Basically, McGuinness feels he is entitled to a share of ISP fees because people sometimes use the internet to download illegally.

The man is seriously deluded.

I mean, how many people would stop paying ISP fees for internet access if they couldn't download illegally ?

Here's one rebuttal

lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2008/06/04/mcguinness-speech/

Basically McGuinness is trying to find a way for artists to get paid.

The rest of us get paid for our work, why not musicians?:shrug:

they should, but not by claiming the a portion of the money someone else is getting for doing their job automatically belongs to them

Are you serious? What they don't have enough millions of €. Oh those poor U2. Paul McGuinness is a fucking moron. The only good thing he ever did was he put U2 on the map. He should take his retarded ideas to a fucking 1980s and never come back.

For a love of a fucking money...

Are you serious? What they don't have enough millions of €. Oh those poor U2. Paul McGuinness is a fucking moron. The only good thing he ever did was he put U2 on the map. He should take his retarded ideas to a fucking 1980s and never come back.

I'm talking about artist in general, not just U2.

When surgeons start making millions do they stop charging you for their services? :|

It doesn't seem like Paul is referring to U2 when he discusses this topic. I thought he was pretty clear that U2 isn't really impacted by this issue, i.e. they make tons touring, their albums still sell, they have a great record deal and own all their music.

Did you even read the speech?

Asking a percentage of ISPs fees because people obtain pirated music through them is just stupid. Then he should ask a percentage of every computer, cd burner, CD-R and iPod sold because those devices can also help the user to obtain and propagete pirated music. It's the user's choice what to do with the technology, and using a computer with internet access to find and download illegal music is no different than driving your car to a store that sells pirated or stolen stuff.

It's the user's choice what to do with the technology, and using a computer with internet access to find and download illegal music is no different than driving your car to a store that sells pirated or stolen stuff.

Problem with this analogy is that how many stores stay open that sell stolen or pirated merchandise?

shut this clown up

hey Paul,

do me a favor and shut up, quit your whining your embarrising me as a U2 fan.

i really dont need to hear some multi millionaire complain about people "stealing" music when a lot of people cant afford crap anymore.

stop ripping everyone and charging people $150+ to see them in concert

and before you tell me how it hurts the small bands, most of them want to get thier music out to people in any manner, it's not like the radio plays thier songs for people to hear, especially in the large markets.

the only people getting hurt by this are the record industry and they are a bunch of greedy people anyway. i remember paying $18-20 for a crap CD in sam goody while they lined their pockets and ripped off the bands w/ crap contracts.

they got what they deserved. FU...now let me get back to downloading.

Problem with this analogy is that how many stores stay open that sell stolen or pirated merchandise?

The analogy is fine. One can't be spending their time 24/7 to buy pirated material.

If people choose to share by sending Zip drives around the country we'd have McGuinness whining to get a share of all Fedex income because any shipment COULD be trafficking pirated material.

My folks have never downloaded an mp3 file in their lives, legal or otherwise, yet a portion of their ISP fee should go to the "music industry" ???

ROFLMAO!!!!

i just hope this livenation deal doesnt send up the ticket prices :(

nice find rosa! hows it going anyway? :D

chris

Asking a percentage of ISPs fees because people obtain pirated music through them is just stupid. Then he should ask a percentage of every computer, cd burner, CD-R and iPod sold because those devices can also help the user to obtain and propagete pirated music. It's the user's choice what to do with the technology, and using a computer with internet access to find and download illegal music is no different than driving your car to a store that sells pirated or stolen stuff.

Audio CDR media has a royalty built into the price.

The analogy is fine. One can't be spending their time 24/7 to buy pirated material.

If people choose to share by sending Zip drives around the country we'd have McGuinness whining to get a share of all Fedex income because any shipment COULD be trafficking pirated material.

My folks have never downloaded an mp3 file in their lives, legal or otherwise, yet a portion of their ISP fee should go to the "music industry" ???

ROFLMAO!!!!

1,003 people on mininova are currently downloading the entire Beatles catalog. None of them know each other. All they had to do was press buttons.

The comparison of snail mail & physical media with broadband is not valid.

I'd also wager your folks have never committed insurance fraud, yet the price of others committing those crimes is baked into their bill.

i just hope this livenation deal doesnt send up the ticket prices :(

nice find rosa! hows it going anyway? :D

chris

Hey chris :wave: yeah, I've been wondering the same thing. I haven't had any experience buying tickets through live nation, it will be interesting to see what happens. It's not only the price thing that worries me, I hope their technology can hold up to a U2 ticket sale. :crazy:

Well you might not have a lot of stores of pirated stuff where you live, but for example here in Mexico you can easily find one everywhere. I would dare to say that there are more people here that purchase pirated music, movies and software than people that download it. (Not everybody has the knowledge to find this stuff online, or access to broadband). The point is that actions should be taken to prevent the INDIVIDUALS that CHOOSE to download pirated content from doing it, rather than putting an additional fee on everyone's Internet access (if they charged the ISPs for a percentage of their revenue, the only ones who end up paying more would be the end user, as the ISPs would raise their rates). The technology is not bad in itself, what people do with it is another business.

hey Paul,

do me a favor and shut up, quit your whining your embarrising me as a U2 fan.

i really dont need to hear some multi millionaire complain about people "stealing" music when a lot of people cant afford crap anymore.

stop ripping everyone and charging people $150+ to see them in concert

and before you tell me how it hurts the small bands, most of them want to get thier music out to people in any manner, it's not like the radio plays thier songs for people to hear, especially in the large markets.

the only people getting hurt by this are the record industry and they are a bunch of greedy people anyway. i remember paying $18-20 for a crap CD in sam goody while they lined their pockets and ripped off the bands w/ crap contracts.

they got what they deserved. FU...now let me get back to downloading.

Spoken like yet another person who has never worked near any entertainment industry.
Not every person in the record business is GREEDY.
Your sad steretype of coke snorting label execs is laughable at best.
I've never heard a plausible argument for why you should be able to download music. Because it is easy?
Because you can't stop it?
Because you want to?
Because something was expensive (in your mind) it is ok to now steal it?
Do you really feel you are owed something?
Your sense of entitlement makes me sick to my stomach.
Not every band is U2.
In fact there won't be many (if any) U2's in the future if you don't pay for them.
Finding alternative way to make money such as lisencing is a great idea but it is more of a necessity than anything.
Why you should dictate how someone gets paid for their work is beyond me.
"Hi, I love your music and I'm downloading it but I'm not going to pay you for it. Go ask some corporation to pay for it but don't ask me."
And you call the corporations greedy?

I don't know where you work or what you do but maybe someone will rob you blind and you'll get laid off.
Don't prosecute the person who robbed you though, your stuff was probably just too expensive.

1,003 people on mininova are currently downloading the entire Beatles catalog. None of them know each other. All they had to do was press buttons.

The comparison of snail mail & physical media with broadband is not valid.

I'd also wager your folks have never committed insurance fraud, yet the price of others committing those crimes is baked into their bill.

So because 1000 people (or whatever % of internet users are sharing, fees are to be paid to the "music industry" on everyone who COULD share's ISP account ?

The insurance industry analogy is bad, they aren't having to pay a different industry because someone COULD commit insurance fraud.

When surgeons start making millions do they stop charging you for their services? :|

Well you're comparing apples with rotten tomatoes. I don't know where you live but surgeons don't make millions where I live. Even if they do they're saving lives! And they probably work 12+ hours a day and have to be ready 24/7.

I really can't see your comparison as a serious one. But whatever works for you.

Like Bono says spoiled rock stars.:wink:

I still buy everything that I like I cant be bothered to be wasting time on low quality recordings that are compressed and finding good quality is not as easy as it seems as most people are not savvy enough to be able to record something properly.

There is a lot of people in the music industry that need to be paid like the grunt workers who I am sure are being cut and laid off at an unfortunate pace.

I dont see any other band becoming anyplace close to U2 in sales and this is primarly due to the downloading that goes on.

I think that when an artist displays his art and and attempts to transmorgify it into by calling it a "service" is funny.

When was medicine considered art?

<>

Spoken like yet another person who has never worked near any entertainment industry.
I've never heard a plausible argument for why you should be able to download music. Because it is easy?
Because you want to?
Not every band is U2.
In fact there won't be many (if any) U2's in the future if you don't pay for them.
Finding alternative way to make money such as lisencing is a great idea but it is more of a necessity than anything.
"Hi, I love your music and I'm downloading it but I'm not going to pay you for it. Go ask some corporation to pay for it but don't ask me."

I don't know where you work or what you do but maybe someone will rob you blind and you'll get laid off.
Don't prosecute the person who robbed you though, your stuff was probably just too expensive.

Thank you - well said :applaud:

I work in the music industry selling music & have done so for the past 20+ years, and lately, there's not much selling at all. I'm sure some of it has to do with the internet & downloading, and some of it is definitely the economy. I don't know what we are going to do :shrug: :sigh: I don't sleep well lately. And it seems to be a generational thing, whereas if you are older, you remember records, you remember the CD format coming into existence, and people BUYING music. The younger generation just wants/expects it for free if they can find a way. If they are going to pay to download a CD on iTunes or some service, they don't even own anything but a digital file on a computer. If your computer or iPod type device dies, I think you lose that file. At least if you buy the physical CD, you still own it, the artwork, the lyrics, the MUSIC and you can still have it on your computer/iPod (whatever). When my daughter asks me if she can make a copy of a CD for her friend, I say no. I'd be a hypocrite to just let everyone copy what I have purchased with my hard-earned money. And the handful of CDs that people have emailed/zipped to me have come with much guilt. I think I've gone out and physically purchased each one. The files were basically me just listening enough to the music to see if I'd like it, since there's nowhere for me at least, to hear new stuff. I don't feel I'm "entitled" to steal the band's music for free. That's how the artist makes a living - making muisc, selling it, touring, etc.

Sorry if I rambled or hijacked the thread. Just a sore spot right now. :depressed:

I hope Live Nation will be an improvement over Ticketmaster, and lower "fees".
crossfingers.gif

Well you're comparing apples with rotten tomatoes. I don't know where you live but surgeons don't make millions where I live. Even if they do they're saving lives! And they probably work 12+ hours a day and have to be ready 24/7.

I really can't see your comparison as a serious one. But whatever works for you.

Like Bono says spoiled rock stars.:wink:

Well then you missed my point completely. The point is, it doesn't matter how much the person makes or how spoiled you think they are, why are you entitled to free product?

I think that when an artist displays his art and and attempts to transmorgify it into by calling it a "service" is funny.

When was medicine considered art?

<>

Service, art, it doesn't matter. Why are we expecting certain people to work for free now?

Because you want to?
Not every band is U2.

Thank you.

Needs to be said.

Interesting that Virgin Media (one of the biggest ISPs in the UK) has just announced in the news that they are going to get tough with illegal downloaders and start sending written warnings with the threat that persistent offenders may be disconnected or taken to court. Seems a better way forward than trying to fine ISPs themselves. Time will tell if it has much effect.

It's kind of ironic though that file sharing has worked in favour for new bands such as the Arctic Monkeys who wouldn't have become half as popular so quickly without it although now they're established and have a record deal they (generally) expect fans to pay to download their music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom