Another Hard Question!! Which Song Would You Leave Off The Joshua Tree?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryMullen's POPAngel

Blue Crack Distributor
I'll be up with the sun, I'm not coming down...
I know that this album isn't as conceptually-themed as Achtung Baby, but it does have a central theme of Bono's ideas of America woven throughout (at least imo-see what happens when I think?).

Anyway, my pick-Red Hill Mining Town.

Anyone else?

------------------
I know your garden's full
But is there sweetness at all?

"Bullet the Blue Sky"...cuz I would at least still have the live version from R&H.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

ALL OF IT!!!! J/K, i don't fancy JT too much, but if i had to choose a least fav, i would pick "haven't found" oh and ESPECIALLY the R&H version, those 'sexy voice' backups make me vomit. it just drones on and on. nice video though.

Originally posted by Achtung_Bebe:
It would not have existed in which case it would not ever have been performed live...

haha, gotcha Bonochicky!!!
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Hey now! *lol*

We'll just say it was a track that almost made the album but didn't and then surfaced on R&H...

HA!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I don't know you,

Originally posted by Achtung_Bebe:
hmmmmmmmm..... Trip Through Your Wires.

noooooo i love that song!!

------------------
touch me, take me to that other place, teach me, i know i'm not a hopeless case

Originally posted by Bonochick:
Hey now! *lol*

We'll just say it was a track that almost made the album but didn't and then surfaced on R&H...

HA!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

LOL! Oh ok.... you found a loophole
biggrin.gif

And so do I actually, nellie... really... I am in love with The Joshua Tree entirely. But unfortunately one of my precious babes had to go, and based on the fact that I wasn't so very fond of this song performed live on the R&H outtakes, well...
frown.gif

Difficult.... hmmmmm..... even though I don't want to say it, it would probably be "Mothers of the Disappeared". So sad, I know.

------------------
Oh great ocean
Oh great sea
Run to the ocean
Run to the sea

Originally posted by Can'tSeeOrBeSeen:
Difficult.... hmmmmm..... even though I don't want to say it, it would probably be "Mothers of the Disappeared". So sad, I know.

Yup. Sad... and also my choice. April!!! Horrible thread girl! lol

------------------
I disappeared in you
You disappeared from me
I gave you everything you ever wanted,
It wasn't what you wanted

Red Hill Mining Town- don't hate it, but don't love it either. On the copy of the cd I made onto cassette for my car I didn't even copy that song.

That's much tougher for me than picking one for Achtung Baby. I would probably have go to with Trip Through Your Wires. I do like it a lot, but it's not essential to the album, if you know what I mean. In God's Country would also be a contender...but I think I'd have to go with Trip.

------------------
Your seven worlds collide
Whenever I am by your side
Dust from a distant sun
Will shower over everyone

-Crowded House

I think I would leave off "Bullet the Blue Sky." As much as I respect the song and the meaning of it and the new life it takes on when performed live, I skip that track most of the time. Most of the time when I listen to JT it is to relax, and "Bullet" just sounds too harsh coming in right after WOWY. But then again, they probably put the track in that position on purpose to create the uncomfortable contrast.

Just checkin'.

------------------
"I don't know you,

Trip Through Your Wires. For me that's an easy decision. Though the song does admittedly have some charm for me, I've never really been able to get into it. To me, it sounds too much like U2 emulating the blues, rather than U2 taking the blues and making something new with it.

But I'm shocked to hear of Mothers of the Disappeared being nominated. One of the best closers ever. The mood is just perfect to end the album with.

But we've all got our own opinions...
smile.gif

Originally posted by Sicy:
Yes, flarg.

LOL, there's things that deserve even worse treatment than just a regular blarg!

Several songs come to mind: Bullet (just too agressive for my taste), Exit (if only it didn't sound so weird on the album), In God's country (never did anything for me).

I'm getting flamed for this, aren't i?
smile.gif

------------------

be uncool, yes be awkward

I would've taken off the studio version of "Bullet" and replaced it with the Live ZooTV version. Holy crap, it's depressing how much better the song got in a mere four years.

Hmm.....Trip Through Your Wires. AH! Sorry, sorry, I'm going to burn in hell for making a decision like dropping a song from a U2 album. Sorry. I'm in so much pain right now. What sick minds came up with these questions?

I cannot understand so many picking Red Hill Mining Town! Not only is it the best song lyrically IMO and it has the prettiest tune, it fits the mood of the album- the desert, the west, the 'longing' as Bono says of the album.

My pic to leave off- Mothers. Sorry, but a song about disappearing people in SA is out of place on an album with the western US theme and plus I don't like it as much as the others. The one that really does not fit in with the sound of the rest is Exit.

trip through your wires. it takes the country/american thing too far.

------------------
)|( Vande )|(

"Rock 'n' roll is a term that's been heavily abused. It's not
something you can buy in a record shop. It's an attitude." -Adam

"And I wear grey underwear." -Bono

Everyday can be a beautiful day. Don't let it get away.

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

It?s cold outside, but brightly lit...

Sorry to say it would be Trip.

I am very glad to see that nobody has said One Tree Hill- that's such a good song.

Back
Top Bottom