Another "baby" on the way?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rymyx

The Fly
With all the recent talk and rumours it appears U2 are going to go absolutley mental on their next record. Keep in mind that with the success of ATYCLB in the mainstream they have regained the privelage of going off the deep end experimentally and bringing sales of at least 8 million with them for their next record. (2003)

When Bono said that U2 were reapplying for the job as best band in the world I think the agenda is that they want to make some serious kick ass rock albums like achtung baby again but needed ATYCLB to get new fans and critics onside for their next few albums.

Yes I think another achtung type record is what we will see. Of course we have heard this all before and been shocked at the finished result so who knows.

What do you think, what's your prediction?

What do you want?

Also I'm new and would like to say hello to everyone at interference.

:p

Hmm, I think the Bono will promise punk and hard rock and deliver with mostly pop music. But I will still enjoy it Im sure. It just seems that the lads definition of hard rock and punk is different than our definition. This all said they are the best band in the world!:yes:

rymyx said:
Keep in mind that with the success of ATYCLB in the mainstream they have regained the privelage of going off the deep end experimentally and bringing sales of at least 8 million with them for their next record. (2003)

What do you think, what's your prediction?

What do you want?

Also I'm new and would like to say hello to everyone at interference.
:p

:wave: Hello and welcome!

Well, I was also thinking of that 'privilege of having another baby' the other day. I think they will, but they will be more careful this time. Not too experimental like Pop (I :heart: this album though).

What do I want? Yes :yes:, I'd like another "baby"! Those sinister, metaphor-filled lyrics I just :heart:.

Personally I dont want another Achtung Baby, Joshua Tree, ATYCLB, etc. I hope the new album has a new sound or feel to it. That is one of the reasons I love this band. They create so many different types of music, yet you know its U2, and its good.

We will probebly get something though that is similiar in ways to other things they have done and that is fine, I will probebly still love it. But I think it is way to early to speculate on what the next album will be like. It is probebly way to early for the band to even speculate at this point. We are at least a year away and when U2 records things can change DRASTICALLY in that kind of a time frame.

I definately don't want another sequel to the Joshua Tree (ATYCLB). Hopefully, they bring out something that totally kicks my ass, like Achtung Baby and POP did. I think if U2 released an album full of slower songs next year, that I'd kinda be bored with it. Hopefully "Full Metal Jacket" delivers what Bono promised it would. I also hope the Edge sings it. It'd be good to have a U2 song entirely sung by the Edge. "Seconds" was more of a duet, "Van Diemen's Land" wasn't a full band song, "Numb" had all the other members chiming in, and "Corpse"......well......

So I hope we get a rockin' album in 2003, and a kick ass tour in 2004. That's what I'm screamin!

"Seconds" was kind of duet live, but the studio version was dominated by Edge.

Oh, and watch what you say about "Corpse," buddy.

I got to agree with Blue Room. They've already done Achtung (which is the finest collective piece of music I've ever heard). The U2 I made my favorite band is about pushing and pulling themselves in different directions. That's what I want them to do with the next record: do things they've never done and nobody's done before. The songs should have life in them. For me, that's one of the best parts of the 90s albums: there is so much stuff going on in them, and the songs sound so full.

We're just going have to wait and see. U2 takes a long time to make records and they talk about all of these different ideas during that process. I think the record that comes out is full of the ideas they're into at the moment when it's time to stop recording.

typhoon said:
"Seconds" was kind of duet live, but the studio version was dominated by Edge.

Oh, and watch what you say about "Corpse," buddy.

Sorry, "Corpse" is cool in my book, sure. I can't count on my hands how many times I've listened to it, so maybe there's something I've missed. On the album, it's definately Bono that sings "In an apartment on Times Square...." verse. But as for the rest, you're right. The Red Rocks version, I don't know if it's just the way they filmed it, but you really get the impression that Edge is singing the backing vocals. And for some reason, they switched microphones. The cameras stay on Bono pretty much the whole song. I know that Edge sings lead and that's why he took center stage, but it just doesn't show.

I Think I should clarify what I am trying to discuss.

WhenI say another Baby, I imply a vast departure from the last album (ATYCLB) just as Achtung Baby was so different from Rattle and Hum.

"type" will it be this type of record? I don't want a repeat Achtung I want the things that made that record great, energy, vitality and experiment. For me as a u2 fan that is why I will always love that album more than any other, it was so different. You all hit on this point and it helped me to comprehend the point I was trying to make. Lets hope for something that completely rocks!

I don't think they'll make an Achtung Baby 2. If you mean that the album will be a bit of a change of direction then perhaps. Although I must say the new stuff so far isn't much of a departure for them. It seems that u2 follows ideas for two or three albums at a time. U2-3, Boy, and October are in one group. Then War, and Under A Blood Red Sky in the next era. Then comes The Unforgettable Fire, and Wide Awake In America. After that came The Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum. The ninties brought Achtung Baby, Zooropa and Pop. Looking at this trend I'm guessing the next album will be a bit different from ATYCLB but not entirely a departure. Then again, I could be dead wrong and on the next album Adam will sing and Bono will play bagpipes while Edge and Larry play tin whistle. Thats the best part about U2, you think you have them figured out, think you've got a pattern and then one day you turn on the radio and hear "The Fly" for the first time and think "well that's certainly not a rebel song..."

ZewTeeVee said:
I don't think they'll make an Achtung Baby 2. If you mean that the album will be a bit of a change of direction then perhaps. Although I must say the new stuff so far isn't much of a departure for them. It seems that u2 follows ideas for two or three albums at a time. U2-3, Boy, and October are in one group. Then War, and Under A Blood Red Sky in the next era. Then comes The Unforgettable Fire, and Wide Awake In America. After that came The Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum. The ninties brought Achtung Baby, Zooropa and Pop. Looking at this trend I'm guessing the next album will be a bit different from ATYCLB but not entirely a departure. Then again, I could be dead wrong and on the next album Adam will sing and Bono will play bagpipes while Edge and Larry play tin whistle. Thats the best part about U2, you think you have them figured out, think you've got a pattern and then one day you turn on the radio and hear "The Fly" for the first time and think "well that's certainly not a rebel song..."
Oh, but it is a rebel song! It's funny that people can try and group U2 periods, but even when they do, they're all different depending on the person who grouped them! By that I mean, you have grouped the eras differently than I would have. You include Under A Blood Red Sky with War, even though the latter is simply the first one, plus earlier stuff, done live.

If I were to group U2 into eras, this is what it would look like:

The Young Revolutionaries:

* Boy
* October
* War

The Romantic, Brooding Poet Years:

* The Unforgettable Fire
* The Joshua Tree
* Rattle and Hum
* Achtung Baby

Exlploration Of Boundries and Looking For The Walls:

* Zooropa

Hitting The Walls and Bouncing Off Them Again Years (almost as long as saying ATYCLB!):

* Pop
* ATYCLB

As you can see, I'm one of those people who doesn't so easily seperate 90s U2 from 80s. I think Achtung Baby is really the next logical step from Rattle and Hum (just listen to God Part ll), with a bit of contemporary tweeking (ie, Marky Mark, and the new industrial pop...). Zooropa is almost an era unto itself, though it also has a natural progression from Achtung Baby. The poppy element of Achtung Baby is all but removed, however, leaving pure experimentation for art rock.

Pop and ATYCLB are, in my opinion, the most commercially driven albums U2 have ever put out (not saying that's a bad thing). Pop was based on the idea that electronica was going to be the next big thing in popular music; it wasn't to the extent U2 were hoping for and, consequently, didn't do as well as expected. ATYCLB was safer in that U2 didn't risk the sound on something that was expected to happen, but instead relied on classic treatments that have stood the test of time. In either case, they produced two modern classics.

As far as the next album is concerned, I really believe we'll get something very ordinary as far as U2 is concerned. By "ordinary" I simply mean there won't be any major experiments, but a lot of raw energy. It will be ATYCLB on steroids. 'Electrical Storm' taken to the next level. The arrangments will be simple, the guitar and drums will be up front. You'll hear some very, very cool riffs by Edge - and it will be the "sound of a rock band in full flight" (to use Bono's Grammys speech).

I think the next album will surprise many people, but once it sinks in many will understand. This is where U2 have been heading all along.

The arrangments will be simple, the guitar and drums will be up front. You'll hear some very, very cool riffs by Edge - and it will be the "sound of a rock band in full flight" (to use Bono's Grammys speech).

I think too that perhaps some of the feeling of The Hands that Built America could be on the album but it could be as far out as U2 could go. I always wondered what the left over hard rocking songs sounded like that were left off "behind"

what's everyone so worried about??? have they made an "(album name) II" YET? maybe i've just fallen into the "this is one of my absolute favourite bands, so i'll probably end up liking anything they do from this point on", but you can't fall into a trap like that completely without reason...

IWasBored said:
what's everyone so worried about??? have they made an "(album name) II" YET? maybe i've just fallen into the "this is one of my absolute favourite bands, so i'll probably end up liking anything they do from this point on", but you can't fall into a trap like that completely without reason...

Yup, completely agree with you.

The Million Dollar Hotel came out just before ATYCLB... and they had a completely different vibe from anything on ATYCLB, so I don't think anyone should worry about having a "Hands" vibe on the next album, whatever that might mean. It's a wait and see I guess... U2 could put out an album of nothing but Raffi covers, and we'd all buy it.

Baaaaaayby Beluuuuuuga....

I don't really care what their new album is like pop, rock, whatever. The album is still by U2, so we know it's gonna be great. They could do smooth jazz, which I hate (no offense to jazz fans), and I would still love it. As long as the album comes out and is followed by a tour, I'm happy.

gherman said:
How hard can they get, they are in their 40's and... the're U2!

That quote rules. Pretty true in some ways, but I still love em. They're still kicking out some of the best music in the business and they're in their 40's! I think that's really quite an accomplishment, I really dont think any band has ever been as good and influential as U2 still are for their respective age.

If its only 50% as good as Achtung Baby it will be excellent

Hands that built america is the worst U2 song I have heard for years, But I will put that down to a one off film soundtrack ;)

You really feel 'Hands' is one of the worst U2 songs? Wow, your mind is as open as 12 year old virgin's legs praying in church

Back
Top Bottom