Ange(RED)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:

:)lol:)

I (can)'t stand t(hat) hack E. E. Cummings any(way).

Axver, I used to respect your opinion until now. r(e)d uses punctuation for advertising purposes, seemingly randomly, but dont' hate on the best poet of the 20th centurly just because he happened to also experiement wih punctuation, except he did it to a point and exceptionally well. really, if you hate e e cummings i can't respect eyou anymore, and that saddens me.

i'm gonna go read from my complete works now.

Varitek said:

Axver, I used to respect your opinion until now. r(e)d uses punctuation for advertising purposes, seemingly randomly, but dont' hate on the best poet of the 20th centurly just because he happened to also experiement wih punctuation, except he did it to a point and exceptionally well. really, if you hate e e cummings i can't respect eyou anymore, and that saddens me.

well iHave no iDea who e E cUmings is, but after (REA)ding this post i hat(E) him.:madspit: :wink:

I knew there was a reason why the (RED) discussion never moved out of Pleba. :|

And I know some very nice (RED) t-shirt-slogans that would be very fitting for some of you guys here.

:wink:

last unicorn said:
I knew there was a reason why the (RED) discussion never moved out of Pleba. :|

And I know some very nice (RED) t-shirt-slogans that would be very fitting for some of you guys here.

Neute(red)?

Varitek said:

Best poet of the 20th century? There's no way you can tell me he was better than Wilfred Owen. E. E. Cummings' strikes me as attempting to look "artistic" and "original" when he was not. He is the Radiohead of poetry - trying too hard to be clever.

Harsh words, I know. But just like I condescend people who use "AOL speak" and wilfully make communication more difficult, so shall I condescend E. E. Cummings. I find reading his poetry to be frustrating and unfulfilling. If you're going to disrespect me simply because I have different tastes and attitudes towards poetry, then that's your loss really.

While I don't dislike Cummings, I do agree with Axver that he can get a bit gimmicky at times. I think it's a big, big stretch to say he's the best poet of the 20th Century, or even the best American poet of the 20th Century.

I won't launch into a longer discussion of this because a) it's not really relevant here, b) I haven't had my coffee yet, and c) people would get Bo(RED) :wink:

Axver said:

I bloody c(an't) st(and) the way some peo(ple) type Red. I don't see anyb(ody) following the stylisat(ion) of anything e(lse). When was the l(ast) time you r(ead) about "who's gonna RIDE your WILD HORSES" or "TRYIN' to throw your ARMS around the WORLD"? That's right, never, because nobody types like that and it looks STU(PID).

Ag(re)e(d).

Varitek said:

I roll with Yeats, personally.

Back
Top Bottom