And the Most Embarrassing Moment in U2 History is...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a girl and I agree the pink shirt is bloody awful.

I also agree that many, many cringe-worthy things have come out of Bono's mouth, but I'd imagine the rest of the band has only limited control over that. ;)

Hoodlem said:
Stuck in a Moment - US music video
Elevation - music video

Okay the Elevation video is a bit cheesy...the whole "this is evil Bono thing" is not something I would show to my friends to say 'here's an example of cool U2' but are you kidding? That Stuck US video is sweet as!!! Different, and more interesting than the international version.

Alisaura said:
I also agree that many, many cringe-worthy things have come out of Bono's mouth, but I'd imagine the rest of the band has only limited control over that. ;)

That made me laugh. I can just imagine the rest of the band thinking "Can't we just put a gag on him?" sometimes. :)

indra said:

That made me laugh. I can just imagine the rest of the band thinking "Can't we just put a gag on him?" sometimes. :)

Yeah... I'd love to be a fly on the wall after one of Bono's more embarrassing moments... do they tell him off, or are they all used to it by now? :)

mandrake said:
I'd have to say the whole get up Bono wore in the early 80's: the white puffy shirt thats too short for him and the boots.

I thought he looked pretty cool back then!
The Stuck in A Moment US version is fu cking awful, worse thing theyve ever done in my humble opinion.

The Discoteque video, it would have fine if they used snippets of the band in their YMCA homage but oh no not only that they stood shoulder to shoulder and did that daft BOO-CHA:huh:

...and who could forget MTV awards in Paris

'Wow, what a night, what a crowd, what a city, what a bomb, what a mistake....what a W@nker you have for a president!'

It was daring but I remember cringing like mad and wondering if Edge thumped him one....still do:slant:

Soul Love said:

'Wow, what a night, what a crowd, what a city, what a bomb, what a mistake....what a W@nker you have for a president!'

Personally, I think that was one of U2's - well, Bono's - better moments.

Well, yeah in a way it was; outspoken and passionate - typically Bono - you heard the bewilderment from the crowd, you saw Edge bracing himself

It was a fantastic 'uh-oh' moment captured live on TV!:wink:

I just wish that had been the contents of his speeches before One at last year's two concerts in Washington DC.

lastrega said:

He jumped like a little girl in Adelaide when he lit it and the sparks blew on him.

The look on his face, while amusing, was Quite Uncool.

He nearly blew his head off in Sydney aswell as Sao Paulo, and Melbourne aswell I think...

not embarrassing, just plain STUPID!

:tsk: do not let little boys like Bono play with fire!

Soul Love said:

That was one of Bono's best moments :huh:

To me it's up there with the Fuck Revolution speech

LyricalDrug said:
The lyric, "somethings you shouldn't get too good at... like smiling, crying, and celebrity"

:dies of embarrassment:

Yay, OOTS bashing! :lol:

I love this thread...I can't stop giggling. So many great moments so far:

1. Ponkine's rant about a country he's never even been to
2. Puffy pink Bono shirt
3. Bono OWNING that tambourine
4. And the simple that fact it hasn't been closed yet. Class.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the Grammy speeches. They were tipsy, yes, but I couldn't stop laughing. Worst speehes ever, but charmingly so. :giggle: Also, the flag jacket was really poignant at the time, plus is just looks cool.

I'll give my vote to the Elevation video. Nothing, not even a puffy pink shirt, is as embarrassing as that video is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIh_AUwRzbI

Wow. :lol:

I will admit that Bono's muscle outfit or whatever it was that he wore during the PopMart tour was slightly ridiculous. But, I think that that was the spirit of the whole PopMart vibe/tour. But, I believe that rock and roll can be ridiculous. Ridiculous should be embraced. Since U2 chopped down The Joshua Tree, I would say things have been pretty wacky since then.

So many cringe worthy embaressments but it just makes them more human to me!

Although i understand the reason behind the american flag, i hate the defiant stance he has, it just screams WRONG WAY.

But SHAME on the :down: over POP things (minus the vegas concert) POP era rocked!!!

Walk On videos, particularly the alternative London version. Video for I Will Follow makes me laugh hysterically too, which I'm sure was not the original intention.

jinn77 said:
Walk On videos, particularly the alternative London version. Video for I Will Follow makes me laugh hysterically too, which I'm sure was not the original intention.

Ok u said ' particularly London version ' , but u cited both versions , and I ask what's wrong with the Brazilian version ? I think it's perfect

Actually, where's that bathing Bono-walrus photo. PLEBA girls, help me out here :heart:

shart1780 said:

It's none of Bono's business if the guy wants to talk on his phone. Let the huy waste his money. He's not hurting anyone.

Actually he is hurting some people. Think about it. Rock Concerts are loud. If you talk to someone on a cell phone during a rock concert, you are basically screaming into it so the person on the other end can hear you. That means that the person standing next to you during this very same rock concert is struggling to hear the music over your screaming into the phone. Actually, it doesn't have to even be a cell phone. If you are just talking to the person next to you at a rock concert, that means you are talking really loud, louder than the music so that the person can hear you. I cannot tell you how many times this has happened to me. There are some people who talk thru whole songs to the people next to them. Listen, I can walk and chew gum at the same time, but I cannot talk and listen to music at the same time. By the way, this is LIVE, you cannot hit the repeat button. I could never figure out why people go to rock concerts and pay all that money to talk to people standing next to them during the whole show. They could have done that for free. I am there to listen to the band.

hughfan_1 said:

By the way, this is LIVE, you cannot hit the repeat button. I could never figure out why people go to rock concerts and pay all that money to talk to people standing next to them during the whole show. They could have done that for free. I am there to listen to the band.

:up:

ponkine said:

That day won't come because in Chile we will never let our president nor government to plan attacks to his own contry and then demand the world to join him for his invented "war against terror" and support his crimes against humanity ...

Time for the truth: 11th September 2001 attacks were planned by the own US government. I don't mind if you believe me or not. Time will let the whole truth, like what happened with Vietnam war, another US agenda hidden by the "attacks" story. Now everyone knows that Vietnam NEVER attacked USA. Even in 1962 JF Kennedy admited that "Vietnam never attacked us". Neverthless your country killed 4 million innocent people in revenge for an attack that never happened.

Is that "freedom" you want to impose the world?.

I will never feel like "complete ASS" because I live in a country who don't kill other nations, don't create "wars against terror" to steal oil and make more and more money, don't play God, don't impose other countries an economic system and way of life. I live in a country that let the other countries live!, no matter color of skin, religion, economic system, etc. I can go to ANY country in the world if I want to, unlike US, where people can't go to Cuba, for example.

Is that "freedom"?.

Wide Awake

Obviously the fans are far more embarassing than the band could ever dream of being.

Last edited:
sorry i wasnt here two months ago, just read it tonight. According to the decleration of human rights i have an opinion too so my opinion counts too. so there. :madspit:

dazzlingamy said:
im not saying your opinoin doesnt count (even when your opinon is being offensive to another person's opinion), its just you need to NOT drag it back up when its not revelant.

:shrug:

sorry dearest amy, im dazzled by your thoughts here...i dont see how my opinion could possibly be any more offensive than anyone elses' including the one i quoted. :angel:

as for "dragging it back up".....well i didnt bump the thread...it was at or near the top which is why i saw it. And the fact that it is still open means the whole thing is relevant correct?

But yeah, i do agree that politics should be left elsewhere so point very well taken on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom