And the backlash begins...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JOFO said:

not to gang up on anyone, but this comment is totally inappropriate considering that you are actually wrong in your listing of the first singles; "The Fly" was the first single from Achtung Baby.

I recognized the mistake, and that wasn't my point anyway, I am just depressed that I don't like it that much.

I guess I should have said "any single release" not just the first one.

RobVox

RobVox said:

Well truly I was not hoping for With or Without You again, in fact I was with the band on Achtung about it sounding like the four of them cutting down the Joshua Tree, and I still loved it. As per my list, it is all from memory, remember I LIVED this stuff, I didn't just jump on the "bandwagon" these past 3, 5, or even ten years, so if I remembered wrong I am sorry.

My main point was not the order, but that everytime I heard a new single it had that U2 magic, and this time...it felt empty...I am just looking for some hope, not to start a flame war.

RobVox

um, so if you're admitting that it wasnt the lead singles that you heard the "magic" in, why are writing this off as shite straight off the lead single which in previous instances clearly didnt make as much of an impression on you some of the later tracks did?
maybe the next single or the album will change your mind?

you think we jumped the bandwagon on to liking it? you just jumped the band wagon going in teh other direction

RobVox have you given it a fair shake? Like downloading the good clip and listening to it several times?

I can see someone not liking it, music is very subjective. But to claim that Beautiful Day has something magical that Vertigo doesn't have is in my opinion strange. Especially if you've been a long for the whole ride and enjoyed their previous incarnations.

I had a love/hate relationship with POP and ATYCLB but I never doubted that U2 didn't have their magic. Especially not based on one song.

I say give it time you may grow to like it, and if you don't. So what? You might like the rest of the album.

As far as I can tell the reception has been much better than good. The best thing would be to ask friends or associated that are predisposed to having a good taste in music, not just a U2 fanatic.

My buddy, he's not much of a U2 fan at all, said he thought it was about the best single they coudl have possibly made, all things considered. Listen to Aersomith or some other 40 something band and tell me that any of them could approcah the vitality in this song. It's just one song. Like it or don't, it doesn't make much of a fuck besides to yourself.

AussieU2fanman said:
Well if they didn't take the approach like they did with this first single, who would care about U2? They couldn't release another WOWY or something like they have done before (ballad type-rock), they had to take this road, and they charged down that road a million miles an hour!

i think it was larry who said this on popmart after everyone kept on asking if they were going to make more stuff like Joshua Tree...

"the truth is we couldn't, we wouldnt know how to repeat ourselves"

AMEN for that!

I just hear up-tempo rock and roll. It's not anything that hasn't been done before, but it's good. It's U2 man. What the fuck do people expect? It's better than Beautiful Day by a mile, but that's just my opinion. I think the "rock" public will like it better.

Not everyone is gonna like it, just get prepared now, no matter how good the album is, there will be some pretentious critics who pan it, if only because it's doesn't fit their idea of 'cred'.
Same with the fans, not everyone is gonna like it. If everyone liked it, it would ruin it, it would get overplayed and the lovefest from the media, radio and musical television would be enough to kill the inspiration.

I expect more than "fun" music from U2. I have other bands to gimme "fun" music...

From U2 i expect elaborated, meaningful songs that will inspire me. Not inspire me to "drive faster" or to wake me up in a rainy day as some fans are saying... But to REALLY inspire me.

As i said i still have hope that this album will provide that.

Inner El Guapo said:
RobVox have you given it a fair shake? Like downloading the good clip and listening to it several times?

I can see someone not liking it, music is very subjective. But to claim that Beautiful Day has something magical that Vertigo doesn't have is in my opinion strange. Especially if you've been a long for the whole ride and enjoyed their previous incarnations.

I had a love/hate relationship with POP and ATYCLB but I never doubted that U2 didn't have their magic. Especially not based on one song.

I say give it time you may grow to like it, and if you don't. So what? You might like the rest of the album.

As far as I can tell the reception has been much better than good. The best thing would be to ask friends or associated that are predisposed to having a good taste in music, not just a U2 fanatic.

My buddy, he's not much of a U2 fan at all, said he thought it was about the best single they coudl have possibly made, all things considered. Listen to Aersomith or some other 40 something band and tell me that any of them could approcah the vitality in this song. It's just one song. Like it or don't, it doesn't make much of a fuck besides to yourself.

well said!

U2_Guy said:
I expect more than "fun" music from U2. I have other bands to gimme "fun" music...

From U2 i expect elaborated, meaningful songs that will inspire me. Not inspire me to "drive faster" or to wake me up in a rainy day as some fans are saying... But to REALLY inspire me.

I think there is a bit of tongue in cheek with this song, but the song is *definitely* meangful. It may be one of their most relevant songs in some time. The lyrics and music are, imo, very inspired and full of serious depth. It's kind of like how U2 "hid in plain sight" back in the AB-POP days. And the way Bono's voice belts out from the dizziness of vertigo acknowleding that love is the salvation from all this. Just brilliant, imo!

U2_Guy said:

U2 is not here to cater to your expectations. They will make whatever music they feel like making. That being said, making elaborate, meaningful songs is part of their genetic make-up, so i'm sure the album will have some of that also. If it didn't, i would be shocked.

U2_Guy said:

Your expectations are the problem. Open them up.

You are right ppl...

I should "Expect Nothing" (a title U2 had in mind for the Pop record). In fact, i should act like many of you and lose the sense of critic just because it's U2 and we must worship anything they do.

Of course any fan have their ow...Know what, it's a waste of time answering to this.

You ppl r right, me and robvox r wrong. Vertigo is better than WTSHNN.

U2_Guy said:
You are right ppl...

I should "Expect Nothing" (a title U2 had in mind for the Pop record). In fact, i should act like many of you and lose the sense of critic just because it's U2 and we must worship anything they do.

Of course any fan have their ow...Know what, it's a waste of time answering to this.

No way. Streets kills Vertigo. No Doubt. But expectations can be strange. I would just say, U2's music can grow on you. If any record taught me that it was Zooropa. Now I enjoy it. If this board had been around in July 93, I'd be callin Numb poop. But now I enjoy it.

U2_Guy said:
You are right ppl...

If you are comparing WTSHNN and Vertigo, it's obvious you have no idea what you're talking about. They are completely different songs and can't be compared. It's like comparing Sultans of swing to Moonlight Sonata.

MrBrau1 said:

No way. Streets kills Vertigo. No Doubt. But expectations can be strange. I would just say, U2's music can grow on you. If any record taught me that it was Zooropa. Now I enjoy it. If this board had been around in July 93, I'd be callin Numb poop. But now I enjoy it.

He was being sarcastic :rolleyes:

A friend of mine is overseas at the moment. He called me last night drunk (among other things) from Amsterdam. Caught up on all his latest crazy stories for about 10 minutes and then hung up. Now this guy loves Achtung Baby, but thats about it. Isn't anti-U2 as such, just not his thing and he can't 'see' the massive attraction. About 30 seconds after we hang up, my phone rings again, and it's him again "Dude, I forgot to say, that new U2 song fuckin' ROCKS!"

no one better than fans can judge u2 songs, we know their level, we know their history, we know each song, and that's why we can descern their good songs and their bad songs. i'm not a fanatic, i love them but i can admit when a song really sucks, and like me i think most of the people around interference and around the world can do this, too.........they made bad songs, of course, but it's absolutely not the case of vertigo, from u2 i've never heard a riff like this, i've never been submerged in such a rush at the first listening, and it wasn't just for the abstinence of their new music

my mom didnt think it was u2 until i told her it was.

she likes the song nonetheless and shes not really a "u2 fan", she loved the joshua tree and likes certain songs but gets sick of em cuz i play them so much.

but, my mom was even singing along to the chorus which is sorta funny to me.

U2_Guy said:
You are right ppl...

I guess i'm wondering what you hope to accomplish by posting a message that you don't like the song one day after it's released. Certainly no one here is saying that you should somehow be forced to like it by being a U2 fan, or that there is something wrong with you for not liking it. However, you've made your opinion, so are you expecting other people that love the song to agree with you now? I don't want to speak for everyone on this board, but i would say everyone here enjoys most of what U2 puts out bc every song has U2's style in it. Personally, i like Bono's voice and lyrics, Edge's guitar, etc, so yeah, i'm going to like 90% of what they do. But they are one of the biggest and best bands in the world because they do it better than everyone else. So don't say we are somehow losing our sense of critic bc we enjoy the song and you don't.

Mates like it, especially the older ones who love the fact it has elements from their earlier days, especially some of the Edge's playing, but also manages to mix in an up to date rock and punk sound.

One of them also thought it sounded a bit like Duran Duran?!?!

First of all: What did you all expect when you entered a thread titled? : And the Backlash Begins

You entered a room with varying opinions of the new tune. You should have expected to read criticisms = NOT EVERYONE WILL HAVE A POSITIVE OPINION of the SONG.

Also, with regards to The Pixies and Veritgo sounding like them, isn't that what Bono said many moons ago? Punk Rock made on Venus? That is exactly what Veritgo sounds like (IMO). a pixies reference to vertigo is inescapable.

I also think this song is great because on the surface it is very free, fast, loose and fun and is a nice change of pace for U2. Not every song in their catalouge needs to solve the world's problems in 4 and a half minutes like One, Please, SBS, Peace on Earth. Songs like Vertigo, Discoteche, Numb, expose U2s other side of "free wheeling, run with the crazy idea, enjoy the song/lyrics and who cares what the critics say" approach to music.

having read this whole thread, the two things that i find strange here is:
1- if you don't like the song, so what it is just one song. i think stuck in a moment is one of the worst u2 songs, but i still loved the album. there will be without a doubt several big 'classic' U2 type anthems. Each album has 3-4, not ever U2 song is this way.
2- as a huge pixies fan for a very long time, i don't see the connection at all. i think vertigo is very different than anything the pixes have done, and sounds nothing like any pixies song. the only connection i can see (as someone already pointed out) is the spanish part- which is absurd to make a connection based on that. the only other possible thing is most pixies songs are short. come to think of it a 3 minute song, with some spanish in it is just like the pixies.

Anymore personal attacks or calling people gay and this thread will be closed.

Honestly, the discrepancy between Bono's ragged voice on ATYCLB and this song is a little unnerving. It does not seem possible. I would hate to think that they "tweaked" or "textured" his vocals, as is the habit with any pop diva's album, curving those high notes until the voice sounds near-robotic.

If anything, I don't think the production is ragged enough. Edge has been listening to a lot of Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and Spiritualized (REALLY obvious on the "Love Peace or Else" snippet). And that is not a bad thing at all. They should have let things get fuzzy and distorted; my one complaint about "Vertigo" is that it is too cautious. It's a butter knife. I want a Ginsu knife.

Back
Top Bottom