An Open Invitation to Flaming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Miggy D said:
Most of them? Show me a rose-scented asshole and I'll show you 5 dollars.

-Miggy D

Five dollars eh? It's tempting. Make it ten and I'll find you the sweetest smelling asshole in the Western hemisphere.

DaveC said:
yes, the flames are going to come fast and furious on this one.

but to be honest...i don't think HTDAAB is all that great. i mean, sure, when it first came out, i exclaimed that it's the best thing since AB and that it's one of my top 3 or 4 U2 albums, but that was because of the newness, the excitement.

and sure, i played my copy non-stop for weeks after i got it.

but now i think it's merely mediocre. sure, there are some good songs on there, but they seem just all randomly thrown together, the production is wicked bad on some of them, and overall i just don't find anything that really excites me anymore.

i'd put this one now, after having the novelty wear off, at slightly above the level of October, about where Zooropa is.

i just think the parts do not add up to a great sum. :shrug:

*puts on fire-retardant suit*

Yep gotta agree with ya, have being saying so for the past month or so. But I wouldn't put it with Zooropa cos that is a far more exciting album musically wise. It is pretty medicore and compared to their best albums it don't come close. The mixing/production is terrible on certain tracks (COBL certainly) and a lot of the material doesn't do much for me (Miracle 'Day', COBL, All Because Of 'Desire', Crumbs I still havent found your table' and A Man Bland A Woman' to name the main bores). But overall its an average album that is selling like hot cakes in the UK, already sold a million over here. Oh well at least its making them plenty of more money!:wink:

After ATYCLB, I am happy to see they are making music for themselves instead of The Man.

I still cannot comprehend people who say HTDAAB is similar to ATYCLB. How many of the songs on the latest album can you honestly say would fit well on the last one? Not many, that's for sure.

Miggy D said:

I take back what I said, then. Apologies. You have to admit though, when you quote someone's entire post and then write 'How old are you?' without adding any sort of context, it DOES seem like a cut. Unfortunately, it's a limitation of the internet - I couldn't read the inflection in the question. Thanks for clearing that up, man.

-Miggy

I totally understand. It did look sarcastic.

neutral said:

Yeah.

If this thread gets nasty again it will be closed straight away.

So they don't have jokes in Atlanta? Strange, I usually have a lot of fun shooting the breeze down south.

Calm down folks ... I don't think any of us need to take ourselves this seriously. Its bad for the glands.....

Re: Re: An Open Invitation to Flaming

rjhbonovox said:

Yep gotta agree with ya, have being saying so for the past month or so. But I wouldn't put it with Zooropa cos that is a far more exciting album musically wise. It is pretty medicore and compared to their best albums it don't come close. The mixing/production is terrible on certain tracks (COBL certainly) and a lot of the material doesn't do much for me (Miracle 'Day', COBL, All Because Of 'Desire', Crumbs I still havent found your table' and A Man Bland A Woman' to name the main bores). But overall its an average album that is selling like hot cakes in the UK, already sold a million over here. Oh well at least its making them plenty of more money!:wink:

Who was it that said, "It is better to remain silent and have people believe you are a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"?

:wink: :wink:

How's life RJH?

DaveC said:
it's good, but it's not great.

the only thing that approaches greatness on this record is City of Blinding Lights.

Those are my EXACT sentiments, although I love Miracle Drug. Apart from that, I feel as though the album could be a lot better.

I have not been part of this "discussion" but I guess what I don't understand is: wjen have we all become such great musicians and songwriters that we can feel sufficiently justified in criticizing U2's music or anyone else's?:ohmy:

I mean, it's one thing to say that you prefer one song over another (although I fail to see the significance in that), but to down an entire album after only one month's release - where's the logic in that?

Maybe if everyone didn't spend the last three years hounding U2 about the upcoming album and maybe if everyone didn't spend the summer analyzing every snippet of music coming out of France or down the stairway of HQ and maybe if everyone didn't spend the entire summer trying to decipher every word we heard Bono utter - MAYBE IF WE JUST BIDED OUR TIME AND WAITED FOR THE RELEASE OF THE ALBUM AND NOT RUSH TO LISTEN TO THE ILLEGAL DOWNLOADS - then maybe we would still be amazed and enthralled by the musical brilliance and lyrical mastery of U2.:yes:

I know that I haven't tired of HTDAAB - I have never tired of any of U2's music.

Because I listen to U2 with my heart rather than my head. And I don't evaluate them - I just appreciate them.:wink:

No disrespect is meant to anyone in this thread - this is just something I had to say.

SPIRIT MOVES IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS....:hug:

Sleep Over Jack said:
Another horrible post from rjhbonovox

Please refrain from personal attacks.

neutral has already warned people that if this thread continues to be nasty, it will be closed.

Jamila said:
I have not been part of this "discussion" but I guess what I don't understand is: when have we all become such great musicians and songwriters that we can feel sufficiently justified in criticizing U2's music or anyone else's?:ohmy:

:huh:

... So we need to be not only musicians, but great musicians and songwriters to criticize music... Oh well, in that case, where's Beethoven, Mozart, Hendrix and Lennon when we need them?...

Last edited:
DaveC said:
i don't.

it's good, but it's not great.

the only thing that approaches greatness on this record is City of Blinding Lights.

Add Sometimes (next "One" as far as I'm concerned) and Original of the species. All great U2 songs for me.

Very good, but not quite great, are Miracle Drug, Crumbs from your table and One step closer.

Still good by U2 standards are Love and peace, All because of you and A man and a woman.

Worst Vertigo and Yahweh.

I don't remember making any sorta comment about anything here..........................:huh: Sometimes, Miracle Drug and COBL probably my faves, I hate ( READ DONT LIKE) Crumbs.

ok i was being a bit sarcastic in my post!
htdaab is not a crap album but why the hell does bono call it a rock album(is he drunk 24/7) its more of a pop(alternative) kind of album. aboy is a rock song but thats it!!!!!!!!!!!!

again htdaab is not a crap album but it aint no rock&roll!!!!!!

He said it was going to be a rock album like over a year ago. Since then they got a couple of new producers, wrote a few mew songs, and reworked a bunch of them. This is not the same album as the one Bono was referring to. Do your homework before making statements like that.

shaun vox said:
htdaab is not a crap album but why the hell does bono call it a rock album(is he drunk 24/7) its more of a pop(alternative) kind of album. aboy is a rock song but thats it!!!!!!!!!!!!

just wondering then since you're all about rock n roll, how much do you like the album then?

shaun vox said:

Maybe you don't know what sarcasm means then.... you can't just take words that you see adults using and just start using them, you gotta know what they mean first. Maybe you should ask Santa for a dictionary. :)

I've never heard bono call HTDAAB their "first rock album". I've heard him call it their "first album", but if you can show me an article or tape where he calls it their first "rock" album I'll give you 5 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom