An interesting tour pattern during the years

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djerdap

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
In addition to the "songs not played live" thread, there is another thing that always seem to bother me in the U2 live world. It´s those amazing album songs that didn´t get a proper live arrangement and they were very soon eradicated from the setlist or the songs that just suffered from being TOO rare.

BOY
Shadows and Tall Trees (12 times played; the band ditched it just as they were going over the world to promote their debut)

WAR
Like a Song... (only one time performed live in Dundee, the opening night of the War Tour, a rocking song with a huge live potential obviously didn´t live up to the band´s expectations)

THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE
Indian Summer Sky (a very cool song from the UF album - only 9 times perfomed)

THE JOSHUA TREE
Mothers of the Disappeared (one of the highlights of the Joshua Tree Tour only 7 times performed, and the subsequent 6 performances on the Popmart and Vertigo tours fell flat IMO, but I´m sure it was very emotional for the people who were there).

RATTLE AND HUM
Hawkmoon 269 (I think we can all agree on the incredible live transformation this song has presented us; one of the best concert openers ever, only 8 times performed)

ACHTUNG BABY
So Cruel (not a big fan of the song, but I would like to hear a full band version in front of an audience; only 3 times Bono performed it solo, supposedly 2 times the full song)

ZOOROPA
Everything (except Numb, Stay & The First Time), especially Lemon, Zooropa and Dirty Day.

POP
Do You Feel Loved (don´t get me started here; my favorite song from the album, ignored for 99% of the Popmart shows... they could have rehearsed it better after the Las Vegas fiasco; the other songs started to work, why couldn´t this one too; 6 times performed)
Wake Up Dead Man (my second favorite from the album, never performed with full lyrics, full band, the way it should be played).
If God Will Send His Angels (only once was the full band version played; it started promising, but then it fell apart at the end - the extraordinary Las Vegas ´97 performance)

ALL THAT YOU CAN´T LEAVE BEHIND
Wild Honey (not a fan of the song, which was performed acoustically 11 times, but a full band version may have been interesting)

The Ground Beneath Her Feet (talking about acoustic versions ruining the song; that Edge solo is one of the most remarkable things the man has did; to hear it live... :drool: :drool: :drool:

HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB
Crumbs From Your Table (another frustrating thing; only 7 times played and I bet if it was more rehearsed, it would work a whole lot better than a lot of other Bomb songs that fell flat live)

Last edited:
Don't forget Tomorrow.
I don't think any of us really has a good idea of what U2 are going for in their setlist choices (I know I don't). I used to hate the fact that they played the same stuff every night but then I realized it was because I followed the band and I knew the setlists and so there was no sense of unfolding drama when I saw them in person. Back in the JT days audiences used to get the same setlists two nights in a row in the same city, but that may have been their best tour. Anyway, all I'm trying to say is, I understand your point and to a certain extent I feel your frustration - if I ever meet Bono in a bar my first question will be why Acrobat has never been played, and I won't be polite about it - but at this point I just trust that they have their reasons for what they do.

djerdap said:
BOY
Shadows and Tall Trees (12 times played; the band ditched it just as they were going over the world to promote their debut)

Actually, it was probably played live a considerable amount of extra times, but we just don't have setlists from the early concerts. To my understanding, it was a setlist standard from the earliest U2 shows in 1978 through to mid-1980. I find it really bizarre though that it was the only Boy song not played on the Boy Tour.

I second much of what you posted. Like A Song, Indian Summer Sky, Dirty Day, and especially the amazing Hawkmoon 269 deserved lengthy live careers rather than very abbreviated ones. I also wish I could have heard Crumbs From Your Table on Vertigo, as it's my second-favourite song off the album, but I missed it by four months in one direction and eleven months in the other!

bgmckinney said:
Don't forget Tomorrow.

I suspect it didn't quite meet djerdap's definition of 'rare', as it appeared live over 30 times. It should have been played much more though. I think it was very effective in concert.

Back in the JT days audiences used to get the same setlists two nights in a row in the same city, but that may have been their best tour.

Actually, you can find very, very few examples of U2 playing exactly the same setlist two nights in a row, and JT was pretty good for setlist diversity except for the middle of the third leg.

Well, this is the kind of thing the hardcore fans will agree on.

bgmckinney - Exactly the same thing would happen if I would run into Bono: "Why don´t you play Acrobat?!"

Axver - Yes, I didn´t count Tomorrow because it has been played over 30 times (magnificently, it should have been played way more). You´re right about Shadows and Tall Trees, but it is still weird that it hasn´t been played on the worldwide Boy tour.

One of the reasons the Vertigo Tour (especially the last leg) is frustrating me - it is already the most varied U2 tour ever, but it had an amazing potential of becoming so varied, we would enjoy the setlist parties and the bootlegs much more; and the people who were there - both the casual and the hardcore fans, would have the time of their lives.

Why the sudden disappearance of such gems as Running To Stand Still, Wild Horses, Crumbs From Your Table, Zoo Station, Love and Peace or Else, THE ELECTRIC CO., An Cat Dubh, Gloria...
I can´t understand.

And I sincerely hope at least one of those songs I´ve listed appear on the next tour.

djerdap said:
bgmckinney - Exactly the same thing would happen if I would run into Bono: "Why don´t you play Acrobat?!"

Actually I was thinking something more along the lines of, "Why have you never played Acrobat, you bloody motherf**king Irish bastard?"
I figure I might get slugged, but at least he would remember the conversation.

bgmckinney said:

Actually I was thinking something more along the lines of, "Why have you never played Acrobat, you bloody motherf**king Irish bastard?"
I figure I might get slugged, but at least he would remember the conversation.

I would donate money to a cause aimed at making this a reality.

Of course, this would require me having money available to donate in the first place. Curse being a poor student. :(

djerdap said:
THE JOSHUA TREE
Mothers of the Disappeared (one of the highlights of the Joshua Tree Tour only 7 times performed, and the subsequent 6 performances on the Popmart and Vertigo tours fell flat IMO, but I´m sure it was very emotional for the people who were there).

i thought the performance in santiago w/ the charango (sp?) was great, actually.

djerdap said:

The Ground Beneath Her Feet (talking about acoustic versions ruining the song; that Edge solo is one of the most remarkable things the man has did; to hear it live... :drool: :drool: :drool:

I'm not positive, but isn't that a Daniel Lanois guitar solo? Not that Edge couldn't pull it off. I actually only like the song from the guitar solo onward.

I agree with almost all of your list though. Via complete luck I've gotten to hear several of those songs live (DYFL, IGWSHA, Wild Honey, and the Crumbs debut in Minneapolis).

I'd also like to add that any song with a female voice in it should be brought back into the setlists, like Mothers Of... and Surrender.

Mark

Re: Re: An interesting tour pattern during the years

kramwest1 said:
I'd also like to add that any song with a female voice in it should be brought back into the setlists, like Mothers Of... and Surrender.

And how about Red Light's overdue debut? :wink:

djerdap said:
Well, this is the kind of thing the hardcore fans will agree on.

Axver - Yes, I didn´t count Tomorrow because it has been played over 30 times (magnificently, it should have been played way more). You´re right about Shadows and Tall Trees, but it is still weird that it hasn´t been played on the worldwide Boy tour.

One of the reasons the Vertigo Tour (especially the last leg) is frustrating me - it is already the most varied U2 tour ever, but it had an amazing potential of becoming so varied, we would enjoy the setlist parties and the bootlegs much more; and the people who were there - both the casual and the hardcore fans, would have the time of their lives.

Why the sudden disappearance of such gems as Running To Stand Still, Wild Horses, Crumbs From Your Table, Zoo Station, Love and Peace or Else, THE ELECTRIC CO., An Cat Dubh, Gloria...
I can´t understand.

And I sincerely hope at least one of those songs I´ve listed appear on the next tour.

Sure we lost those songs..... but look at what we got instead!

Full band (as opposed to acoustic) versions of Walk On and Stuck in a moment u cant get out of.
The unbelievably brillian Kite, with that stunning solo at the end.
New Zealand and Japan got One Tree Hill... FULL BAND!
The Saints are Coming, which lets face it... has been brilliant on the fifth leg.
Window in the skies!!!!!

Having heard LAPOE on all 5 Aussie dates I saw... the only song i would have loved to have heard from the ones u mentioned is The Electric co. I wish they hadn't dropped 40 though, but Kite was an awesome closer for the Aussie shows.

I say that looking at all 5 legs' setlists, Australia/NZ and Japan can be very happy with what they got in terms of song choices.

Re: Re: Re: An interesting tour pattern during the years

bgmckinney said:

Not to my knowledge, no... what makes you think so?

Sorry, my memory is STILL tainted from the Florida Elevation show where they cut the song before the guitar solo.:mad:

I just went back and relistened to the song, and I was thinking of Lanois' steel stuff in the song and blending it with Edge's.
So yes, the solo live :drool: :drool: :drool:

And I'll add, Bono can feel free to snippet Falling At Your Feet anytime, too. It might be a nice little addition somewhere.

Mark

u2 have an unbelievable habit of dropping the best songs to replace new ones with. the electric co. was imo the best song of the night on the euro legs. I can't understand it being dropped. the band seemed to love playing it, and even less hardcore fans around me just thought it's intensity amazing...

shortfuse said:

Sure we lost those songs..... but look at what we got instead!

Full band (as opposed to acoustic) versions of Walk On and Stuck in a moment u cant get out of.
The unbelievably brillian Kite, with that stunning solo at the end.
New Zealand and Japan got One Tree Hill... FULL BAND!
The Saints are Coming, which lets face it... has been brilliant on the fifth leg.
Window in the skies!!!!!

That is the thing that frustrates me; instead of throwing out some tired songs out of the set (how can they not being sick of Pride, I Still Haven´t Found What I´m Looking For, With or Without You, I Will Follow...) they throw out by far the best ones and replace them with the equally good ones (Kite, Walk On and One Tree Hill were indeed stunning), instead of blanding all the fresh ones in one amazing set.

This is what fascinated me during the 1st leg of the Vertigo tour - With or Without You and I Still Haven´t Found became rarities. It was actually a delight seeing them in the setlists.

The "throwing the best songs thing" happened during the last couple of tours as well... on the Elevation Tour they´ve kicked out the best songs of the tour IMO after the 2nd leg - The Fly, Gone, Discotheque, Mysterious Ways... On the Popmart tour Miami got kicked out and on ZooTV Who´s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses and Ultra Violet (on the Zoomerang tour).

Maybe if some songs didn't get dropped we would never get Kite, One tree hill, Saints are coming, WITS, Desire, Angel of Harlem...can't please everyone :shrug:

I thought I remember reading somewhere that The Electric Co. didn't receive a great reaction from the fans in Monterrey.

That ebing said, if you don't like The Electric Co., perhaps you shouldn't be a U2 fan.

I and I in the said:
I thought I remember reading somewhere that The Electric Co. didn't receive a great reaction from the fans in Monterrey.

That being said, if you don't like The Electric Co., perhaps you shouldn't be a U2 fan.

Agreed! That song alone foreshadowed Edge's guitar work for the rest of the band's career.
Great song, even better live. I'm lucky I finally got to hear it.

Mark

I really don't understand why they never played Like A Song... again... I really love that song, and the live one I got doesn't sound like they're having problems with it!

but the one I'd like to see most still is acrobat.... By the way, in London Bono did say that he'd like to play acrobat one day, sadly Edge didn't want to play it... :( means we'll never see that one!

realy? they only did LAS once? i guess thats the live vesion i got then. lol. i also have the pre boy SATT version, witch sounds way diffent then the boy studio version.

Back
Top Bottom