An in-tour album in 2006?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marr

The Fly
In the Rolling Stone interview Bono mentions that mayby they'll realese a new album in 2006. Wouldn't it be great to have an album as experimental as let's say Zooropa, 'couse I'm sure that this kind of album made during the tour would be based on improvisation, so we could hear more tracks like Fast Cars or LAPOE on this record.
Just imagine, 2006 in times of mainstream pop and Eminem, a new ZOOROPA......

U2 will only make an in-tour album if they feel that their current album is running out of steam and they still have more shows to go. I don't think that will be the case with HTDAAB. Achtung run out of steam in 1993 (after a HOT 1992) but U2 still had two legs to go with ZOO TV, so the only viable way for U2 to keep selling their tickets was a new album. So U2 did it.

But I think U2 are now too old to tour for as long as they did with Zoo TV, so chances are there won't be any 2006 album.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
But I think U2 are now too old to tour for as long as they did with Zoo TV, so chances are there won't be any 2006 album.

Cheers,

J

Sadly, I agree with that statement. This idea's been discussed many times, mainly cos' of what Bono said, but I really cant see it happening. Flying home or wherever after each gig, to record the songs, then flying out again soon after for the next gig - nah, they wouldnt do that again. They know they don't HAVE to, so there's no reason for it. It would be cool, but it won't happen.

A live album however.....:eyebrow:
:wink:

I think it could be possible.

As opposed to Zooropa, when they were recording during the tour, they have plenty of leftovers now. Consider they're not getting younger - and some of their recent comments - so it's possible they'd crank up the tempo of releasing albums.

If they finish in December 2005, and they release the album in late 2006, that is enough time.

Yeah, with left-over material they could easily get in the studio during off time and work on it...if they want to. Also, if a lot of the material is mostly "done" then all they have to do is some over-dubs, retakes and/or mixing. I don't think they have 8 or 9 songs sitting on the shelve, but 5 or 6 could be a possibility.

I think U2 see the end of the game and the finish line is starting to appear in the distance, so they may want to crank out another album fairly quick.

It takes them four years to put out an album these days.

Plus they are getting old, have families, and have already committed to a full year of touring.

I don't think we'll ever see another album in the middle of a tour like Zooropa...unfortunately...

I think they'll have an album for us soon after the tour, or perhaps even before the end of the tour. Now that they're back in 'game shape' and are in a sort of groove as far as musical state of mind, I think they'll mix it with the fact that time is running out and they'll be able to easilt produce some quality songs.

Mercy (please don't use as b-side!!!!), first single off new album. You heard it here first!:wink:

there won't be an album in 2006. Bono eluded to this last time, and they took 4 years.

Bono never said there WILL be an album, not in 2001 on the tour or now. Don't put words in his mouth.

I'd say his "I hope we don't keep you waiting for the new music" comments from 2001 are more vague than the "I think there will be a new album in 2006. We're on it now" comment he made now.

Mybe the next album will take longer than four years, since so many of the unfinished ideas they might have used are in the digital box set.

I'm hopeful for 2006, though. I'm thinking that very soon they're going to start unloading a lot of albums pretty quick as they feel age starting to creep up on them.

yes it's true they are getting old.
but also if we want u2 to still be excting and fresh we have to expect impossible things from them. That's waht this band is all about. Another four years waiting, with more Bono's political stuff and less music, could kill this band.
They are at the same point as when they recorded Rattle and Hum. An Achtung Baby is need fast:)

U2girl said:
Bono never said there WILL be an album, not in 2001 on the tour or now. Don't put words in his mouth.

I'd say his "I hope we don't keep you waiting for the new music" comments from 2001 are more vague than the "I think there will be a new album in 2006. We're on it now" comment he made now.

you failed to mention the "keep the momentum going" comment.

but in reality, this issue isn't about exact quotes, it's about perception. bono's words at the end of the Elevation Tour created the perception that the band was going to have a new album out within the next year/year and a half.

Marr said:
but also if we want u2 to still be excting and fresh we have to expect impossible things from them. That's waht this band is all about. Another four years waiting, with more Bono's political stuff and less music, could kill this band.
They are at the same point as when they recorded Rattle and Hum. An Achtung Baby is need fast:)

I totally agree.

Nothing is going to kill this band, but the members themselves.

I wouldn't be shocked to have one more album and tour and that's it. Actually that's exactly what I would expect. Which means next album=2008.

Also, take whatever Bono says and add a minimum of one year, and possibly two, to it. :)

I think if they put their minds to it, they could make a double album by 2006. Wishful thinking? Maybe. But it'd be possible for such creative minds.

mikal said:

you failed to mention the "keep the momentum going" comment.

but in reality, this issue isn't about exact quotes, it's about perception. bono's words at the end of the Elevation Tour created the perception that the band was going to have a new album out within the next year/year and a half.

The key words being "hope" and "think" at both times, I think. You also need to remember they were out with the Best of in 2002, so that would have been too early anyway.
The plan was, most likely, 2003, like we know from interviews - that was when Bono and Edge thought they were finished but Larry (and Adam?) said it wasn't good enough yet.

They had an album finished in 2003 altough there was a tour in 2001 and a Best Of in 2002.

So, I think there could be an album in 2007 or maybe at the end of 2006.

jick said:
U2 will only make an in-tour album if they feel that their current album is running out of steam and they still have more shows to go. I don't think that will be the case with HTDAAB. Achtung run out of steam in 1993 (after a HOT 1992) but U2 still had two legs to go with ZOO TV, so the only viable way for U2 to keep selling their tickets was a new album. So U2 did it.

Cheers,

J

Actually, thats totally incorrect. The band were planning an EP(mini-album 4-5 songs) and then Paul McGuinness explained to the band that with only one album left in their contract, they should make it a full album and get in on a new incredible album deal. That is precisely what happened.

Virtually the entire European tour was soldout over a month prior to the release of ZOOROPA or anyone hearing a song from the album. ZOOROPA was released in July and the European tour ended in August. Even during the last part of the European tour, the band rarely played songs from the new album.

The band then played a total of 10 shows in Australia, New Zealand and Japan. It was only then that the band played up to five or six songs from ZOOROPA per show.

To clear up misconceptions, it's a total fallacy to believe it takes U2 four years to make albums. That's just the gap between releases.

Zooropa - 1993
ZooTV ends - 10 December 1993
They then had a rest, recorded Passengers for 1995, and didn't begin Pop until 1996.
Pop - 1997
Popmart ends - 21 March 1998
In the next two years, they recorded both ATYCLB and the MDH soundtrack and released the first Best Of with one re-recorded track.
ATYCLB - 2000
Elevation Tour ends - 2 December 2001
In 2002, they recorded two completely new songs and completed some new versions of Pop songs for the second Best Of. By the end of 2003, they had a whole new album ready for release. It would have come out then if it weren't for Larry and Adam being unhappy with it, so they re-recorded in less than a year, obviously with many songs already established.
HTDAAB - 2004

U2 have taken roughly 1-2 years to record their three most recent albums. They could do an album in 2006 if they really wanted to.

I think that they may release a live album with maybe 5 or 6 new songs thrown in it. Like for example we may hear different version of ABOY and COBL and a few other songs from HTDAAB and then we may get 5 or 6 new songs. Kina like what happened in Rattle and Hum where we got some new songs and some old songs from JT. Except this time it would be better then Rattle and Hum. Thats my oppinion

PS then i think 2009 or 2010 for another full album with 10 or 11 new tracks

Marr said:

While I would love another Actung Baby this comment is absurd. I am assuming the poster wasn't old enough to have gone through the "rattle and hum" phase.....

The reaction to these two albums are light years apart...

na, i don't believe it will happen, i'm sure we gonna have another album, but not before 2008 or 2009, maybe now it's the right time to put out a RRRRRRREaly cool LIVE DOUBLE CD!!!! definitely, now we need a live album!

I guess it comes back down to how they feel. They look totally rejuvenated and up for it, moreso than at the start of Elevation. The thing that might count against anything happening is that the new album looks like being a lot more popular than ATYCLB so there might not be any need to release anything. The record company won't want another album out there if HTDAAB is still selling well and gets more momentum behind it with the tour.

They should record these leftover songs plus some new songs and release an album in late 2006. They don't even necessarily have to go on tour for the album, or at best a short tour. They could skip the media blitz and all that, and just put out an album. THEN, release the big final album in 2009, and the big final tour in 2010, ending their on a high note, instead of pulling a Rolling Stones and being terrible the last 20 years of your career.

I don't think U2 will prolong things if their output starts to drop quality-wise. They're too smart for that and they've always said they'll quit while they're ahead. I could see them recording for some time to come even if their tours aren't as globe-spanning as currently.

As for the Stones, who cares what they do. Every tour they do lets a new generation of people see them live before they finally give up for good. Which can only be a good thing. Its not about the new songs they play, but the old stuff. I'd never have seen them play live if they'd given up gracefully, so long may it continue I say!

Back
Top Bottom