"American Prayer" question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoopop

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Where was I when this song came out? It seems not many U2 fans like it. Is it a U2 song or something Bono just performed? Thanks.

American Prayer was sung at the benefit concert in Africa last November (I believe). I saw it on tv as he performed it with Beyonce and Dave (?)Stewart (guitarist for the Eurithmics). I actually liked the song a lot.

I like the song. I don't like Beyonce, but she has a beautiful voice and I think she really adds to the performance.

The song was originally performed at an American university in 2002, I forget which. Personally, I prefer that performance to the one at the 46664 concert. Good song, I'd like to see it appear as a charity single or on a charity album, or something along those lines.

Then you're lucky, Axver....

Star-Packed Mandela Benefit Heads to CD, DVD

Billboard.com, January 30, 2004

Jonathan Cohen

The 46664 AIDS benefit concert held Nov. 29, 2003 in Cape Town, South Africa, is heading to the marketplace. Three single-CDs and a DVD will be issued April 5 by Warner Music International, chronicling the event which featured performances by Beyonc?, Bob Geldof, Peter Gabriel, Jimmy Cliff, Paul Oakenfold and Ladysmith Black Mambazo, among others.

The concert was named for the identification number former president Nelson Mandela wore during his years of imprisonment under the Apartheid regime. "I am delighted that this groundbreaking music launch which has brought together the artist community worldwide will result in our delivering the entirety of 46664 event on both CD and DVD to audiences globally," organizer Dave Stewart said in a statement.

Disc one, African Prayer, kicks off with Beyonc?'s "Crazy in Love (46664 Version)" and also sports collaborations between the surviving members of Queen and Stewart, Yusuf Islam and Gabriel, U2's Bono and the Edge with Stewart and Beyonc? and Gabriel with Youssou n'Dour and Angelique Kidjo.

Dubbed Long Walk to Freedom, disc two features Mandela's speech and performances by Cliff, the Coors and Bongo Maffin. The final disc, "Amandla," sports Geldof's cover of Elvis Costello's "(What So Funny 'bout) Peace, Love and Understanding," three songs by Eurythmics and Queen leading the whole cast of artists through "We Will Rock You" and "We are the Champions."

The double-disc DVD includes Mandela's press conference announcing the event, a behind-the-scenes documentary, artist interviews, a series of short films about the AIDS epidemic and a photo gallery.

? Billboard.com, 2004.

Axver said:
The song was originally performed at an American university in 2002, I forget which. Personally, I prefer that performance to the one at the 46664 concert. Good song, I'd like to see it appear as a charity single or on a charity album, or something along those lines.

It was first performed in Lincoln, Nebraska (University of Nebraska, Lied Center) on Dec. 1, 2002. I agree that this performance was the best EVER, but there's not an mp3 of it, unfortunately. I'd like to see the version Bono recorded in NYC later that month with the Gateway Ambassadors on a single, but it seems like they've ditched that for Beyonce :|

The CD/DVD sounds interesting ... I might buy it.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
It was first performed in Lincoln, Nebraska (University of Nebraska, Lied Center) on Dec. 1, 2002. I agree that this performance was the best EVER, but there's not an mp3 of it, unfortunately.

Oh, I thought it was performed somewhere else first (and I forgot to add that I wasn't sure if it was 2002 or 2003). I didn't know they played it there. Well, wherever the mp3 I have is from, it's better than the one from the 46664 concert.

I will diffently buy the dvd, if all of the proceeds, royalties, etc... go directly to charity.

Axver said:
Oh, I thought it was performed somewhere else first (and I forgot to add that I wasn't sure if it was 2002 or 2003). I didn't know they played it there. Well, wherever the mp3 I have is from, it's better than the one from the 46664 concert.

Nope, Lincoln was the first time the song was ever performed, being the first stop on the Heart of America Tour (World AIDS Day is Dec. 1). It was a total surprise, we didn't expected Bono to sing. The mp3 is from the Wheaton performance. One of our fellow interferencers has a friend who works the soundboard there :up:

Back
Top Bottom