American Prayer: No clapping please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yoyodyne

Babyface
Does anyone know why Bono says "no clapping please, if you wouldn't mind," at the beginning of the American Prayer bootleg that's floating around?

Yes, I DO realize that people were clapping to the beat, but my question is why does this bother him? Is it a singers thing?

Sparkysgrrrl said:
It's very distracting esp. when you have a bunch of rythmless ppl clapping the wrong beat.
:yes:

lol i am rhythmless! And I am marching band..I am suposed to be good with rhythms..getting on the right beat..thats like all we do! any way I was clapping wrong..but 99% of the other people there seemed to get it..so i dont think thats why he would say that. the clapping seemed to add to the lust for life, beautiful atmosphere during that song..so i dont know why he would say that. Which city was the boot from?

I was at one of the DATA meetings and he did say "no clapping please". I think perhaps since the background music came from a stereo set up on a chair behind him and there was the whole young African troupe singing and dancing on stage with him.

There was a lot of noise and distractions and plus he's playing a new song.

Also, he said no clapping seriously but in a jokingly matter. he laughed about it!

Remember when Adam Sandler had to tell his fans to stop clapping because it was messing him up in the Thanksgiving Song!

I don't know! Just some thoughts!

I believe on one of the nights he said something to the effect of, he didn't have the song down pat yet and he was afraid of the rythmn getting thrown off. This isn't a song he had done a million takes of in the studio before performing it live, and with having the tape in the background, the tempo couldn't be adjusted like it could if it was being played live. I know he didn't mean it disrespectfully.....

I think Bono's also used to having the backbeat in his earpiece, which he didn't have, so if you clap as an audience and get off the recording (which you will) then it messes up the rythm.

I'll agree with that theory. One of those recordings is from the Wheaton College soundboard. I was there and pretty close to the stage, and I can tell you that the recording was much better than the live perfomace in terms of quality. The cd player was not very loud -- it sounds much louder in the recording (and, in fact, most of the people there probably couldn't hear the acoustic guitar at all). The clapping could have easily thrown Bono off.

I'm sorry but I don't like the song. I don't like 'Hands that built America either'. Maybe it's the word America in it? Don't like the style, and i don't think of it as pure, it's sentimental. I want new fuckin' rock and roll!!!!!! So I'm looking forward to the next album!

grtz Pascal.

I think "American Prayer" is an appropriate name considering it was the "Heart of America Tour". True, it's not rock at all, but it's not a U2 song anyway so I wouldn't worry about it being on the next album or anything.

I'm surprised no one has said because he must realize how much it sucks. Then again, maybe the snideness of this forum is declining.

SkeeK said:
I'm surprised no one has said because he must realize how much it sucks. Then again, maybe the snideness of this forum is declining.

I sure didn't look like he thought it sucked!

Back
Top Bottom