American Idol - discuss Bono and/or your donation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
msn.com

An "American Idol" charity special filled with wrenching pictures of impoverished children and celebrity appeals raised more than $60 million, Fox said Thursday.

The money from "Idol Gives Back," a two-night special that was combined with the regular talent contest, will go to organizations funding relief programs for America and Africa, the network said. Donations came from viewers and corporations.

A total of $5 million was pledged by Fox parent company News Corp., which gave 10 cents for each of the first 50 million votes received for contestants on Tuesday's show. More than 70 million votes were cast, a record for the show, Fox said.

Pledges were still coming in and an updated total was to be announced on next Tuesday's show, Fox said.

Funds will go to the newly formed Charity Projects Entertainment Fund for distribution to groups including America's Second Harvest: The Nation's Food Bank Network, Boys & Girls Clubs of America and the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, TB and Malaria.

More than money was raised. More than 70,000 people joined "ONE: The Campaign to Make Poverty History," the group said Thursday.

We used to call it a twinkie. okay, enough of that.

Way too little Bono, wanted to see more of his time with the finalists, but it probably was a good thing. It was like a cheesy telethon. At least it wasn't Bono's show. He has done so much without all that . it just shows though, that many people don't give a shit about anyone else, unless you shove endless pictures and info in their faces in a very mainstream way.

Kelly Clarkson was awesome-looking a bit like a throwback to the 70's. She has an astounding voice.
I like The Pretenders version of Stand by You, better than Carrie's.

martha said:
:crack:

Headache, you gotta stop that shit.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
celine_dion.jpg

i think that's what sank the titanic... hoo ha

ICE BERG DEAD AHEAD!!!

Allanah said:
$60 million and counting? Wow. And hey, if Bono's two minutes onscreen got 70,000 signatures, that's awesome.

that's what it was all about, and why Bono was smart enough to give of his time, because he knew these results were possible.

these results are impressive. :up:

I finally got to watch this, my mother recorded it.

Bono content: pretty much perfect

otherwise: spectacularly cheesy

that said, Annie Lennox was incredible singing Bridge Over Troubled Water and Kelly Clarkson was fucking awesome.

God bless Kelly Clarkson. She will prove to be the ironic bane of American Idol.

Back
Top Bottom