American Idol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LukeMan

Babyface
There Is A Rumour That American Idol
Producers
Are Trying To Get U2 To Guest Judge
On The Show And Have The Theme Of
The Night Be U2 Songs.

I Think It Would Be Great For Exposer
But I Don't Think U2 Would Sell Out That Way.

But We'll See

i didn't think u2 would sell out , but i didn't think i'd ever see them in an Ipod commercial...

i'll tell what though, if Bono has a chance to have a few minutes to talk about africa on one of the most popular shows in the U.S. ..what do you think?

i'm not sure that U2 doing this would exactly be "selling out". it would be corny as hell, but not "selling out".

It Would Be Nice To See Some Real Music
On The Show Instead Of Those Boring R&B
Tunes... Nothing By Whining..

Actually This Season On Idol Isn't Bad.. You Have A Couple "Rocker" Guys Who Add Some Flash To The Show.

American Idol is all Pop songs and very little rock. I just can't imagine the style fitting very well.

If this was in any way shape or form true, Larry would tell them to FOAD so fast it would make your head spin...

Yes, Larry is the guy that most listens to Pop Music, but can you honestly imagine Larry serving as a guest judge? :wink:

Just don't see it...

Haha - true, true! Bono would be all dimplomatic and stuff, while Larry would make Simon look like your best friend!!!

Last night, one of the guys sung Bohemian Rhapsody, and did a good job.

Another one sung Free Bird, and made a mess of it, though...

If Gene Simmons can be a guest judge, I think that Larry Mullen can too.

There aren't any guest judges, at least this year. There were guest judges during the auditions.

There is one reason, and one reason only for me to EVER watch American Idol (besides U2)...

CarrieUnderwood2.jpg

snap.

:combust:

OH HELL NO!!!!!!!!!! I HATE AMERICAN IDOL, it is the most stupid reality show out there. I will scream if they have something to do with it! I cannot stand to hear anything that has to do with AI. They would be selling out. People thought that the ipod commercial was a sell out, not even close. This would be selling out.:mad:

If U2 gave this crappy show any credibility by appearing on it, I would be extremely pissed off. :madspit: It's all about finding the next disposable pop star, not nurturing real creative talent.

Good God I Really Hope U2 Does Not Appear On American Idot That Would Not Be Crickett.

Ahh my oyes hurt :(

Probably a rumor. However, how funny would it be to see Scott Savol try to scale the walls of the theatre carrying a white flag while singing Electric Co?

It would be equally hilarious to hear Simon critique every performance by saying "Awful Bloody Awful" or "No More!"

i would love to see this, but doubt it will happen. U2 like to associate themselves with the cutting edge (Public Enemy, Rage Against the Machine, iPod, Kings of Leon) and not the mainstream. American Idol doesn't have that edge they usually associate themselves with. Again I would love to see it, but most guest judges seem to be wash-ups. Who knows, U2 has said they like pop music as much as the next guy.

For some ridiculous reason, I've seen almost all the shows of AI this year (which wasn't true in previous years). My coworkers and I talk about it.

A lot of the kids have good voices, but to be candid, the "rockers" on the show could not do justice to a Bono song from his "prime" (UF-R&H and arguably AB). And while some of them make all sorts of faces (which is supposed to symbolize their "emotion"), none have the swagger or the passion to pull a good U2 song. Keep in mind, this show focuses on singers, so they'd really be imitating Bono here, not Edge, Larry or Adam - and I can't see any of them really doing a great Bono. Nor are any of them talented enough to "make the song their own".

In other words, at best they'd be good copies of the song, but no more. So while interesting to see, I wouldn't really look forward to it.

More importantly, as U2 own the rights to their songs, I really doubt it will happen. U2 did allow "Beautiful Day" to be used once on "World Idol", but other than that, I've never heard a U2 song on AI - and I'm sure that's due to copyright issues. I also could never see Larry agreeing to this nor any of them judging.

As such, I doubt it would happen - and I'm rather glad it won't. :yes:

Last edited:
doctorwho said:
For some ridiculous reason, I've seen almost all the shows of AI this year (which wasn't true in previous years). My coworkers and I talk about it.

A lot of the kids have good voices, but to be candid, the "rockers" on the show could not do justice to a Bono song from his "prime" (UF-R&H and arguably AB). And while some of them make all sorts of faces (which is supposed to symbolize their "emotion"), none have the swagger or the passion to pull a good U2 song. Keep in mind, this show focuses on singers, so they'd really be imitating Bono here, not Edge, Larry or Adam - and I can't see any of them really doing a great Bono. Nor are any of them talented enough to "make the song their own".

In other words, at best they'd be good copies of the song, but no more. So while interesting to see, I wouldn't really look forward to it.

More importantly, as U2 own the rights to their songs, I really doubt it will happen. U2 did allow "Beautiful Day" to be used once on "World Idol", but other than that, I've never heard a U2 song on AI - and I'm sure that's due to copyright issues. I also could never see Larry agreeing to this nor any of them judging.

As such, I doubt it would happen - and I'm rather glad it won't. :yes:

What he said.

To add another though; I really hope this doesn't happen because if it does, it means we're going to have to sit through U2 songs get casturated by the AI editing/arranging team. Every song sung on that show is a shortened, re-arranged, mainstreamed version of the real thing.

Just the other night, one of the 'rockers' sung Queen's 'Bohemian Rhapsody', and they CUT OUT THE OPERATIC PART!! 'Thunder bolts and lightning very very frightning' and all that. They went straight from the quiet first part to the 'you think you can stone me' verse at the end, and totally skipped the middle. Boo.

Another example? Two seasons ago, in the year of Reuben and Clay, Clay sang Simon and Garfunkle's 'Bridge Over Troubled Waters' a few times. The real version ends with the line 'I will ease your mind', on a minor note, and then a breif stringy outro. On AI, after 'ease your mind', instead of the stringy outro, it's just 'ease your mind' again except that it ends on a crescendo, a very upbeat, climactic, crowd-pleasing, mainstreamed version of the song. Boo.

Seriously, think about what would happen to U2's songs when AIed:

Vertigo - I think they'd go from the second verse right to the last chrous and then the yeah yeah yeahs. I don't see them keeping the guitar solo and 'all of this can be yours'.

Beautiful Day - I bet the whole 'see the world in green and blue' verse would be cut out, and it would go straight from the first 'touch me take me' to 'what you don't have you don't need it now'.

WOWY - how much you wanna bet they'd end it after the last 'with or without you' before the oh oh oh's?

SBS - the 'wipe your tears away' verse would be gone. Take it to the bank.

Streets - I bet there would be no organ intro and no guitar intro. It would start on the guitar chords just before the singing starts.

One - I don't even want to think about what they'd do to this.

I Will Follow - Goodbye, 'your eyes make a circle' verse.

etc etc etc.

Do you want to see that?

I agree with all you wrote, namkcuR, with one minor exception... I actually think they'd keep in the "oh oh oh's" from "With or Without You" at the end because those are the big "glory notes" of the song. And we all know how these AI kids love to "glory note" their way through a song. They are all about the big, high notes - and this would be perfect for them. Sure, they'd screw up the soft, subtle, sad beginning, but they'd end on a bang - and that's all they care about. It's what almost won Clay the competition 2 years ago - he ended "Bridge Over Troubled Water" with a big glory note!

None on American Idol so far, but there have been U2 songs done on other country's Idol competitions, for one, Canadian Idol. Nadia just had Where the Streets Have No Name cleared to sing on AI, but she got booted before we could hear it. It doesn't seem that they have any objections to it.

Back
Top Bottom