amazon.com scares me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharky

New Yorker
So I went to this random web site that had this weird amazon.com ad that somehow just had U2 albums in it-- Achtung Baby, October, etc. But I've never gone to amazon.com's site from my computer here at work. What's the deal? has this happened to anyone else before? can amazon.com read my mind? ohhh...spoooky!

could be...well, sort of.

Advertisers are creating "smart" advertising on the internet that create profiles of users, and then tailor the ads towards that consumer.

For instance, if you go to Amazon.com's web site, and choose a U2 album, it will say "people who bought this album also liked A B C". The smart advertising is just taking this a step further.

I don't know that "smart" advertising is an actuality yet, so what you experianced may have been just a coincidence, but trust me, it's happening. That and a lot more...

Disable cookies on your browser if you're that concerned about your privacy.

The website you went to was probably an affiliate. Was it a U2 site? If they had an amazon.com ad to click on on their site, then the webmaster can program that link to tailor the searches. So if you click on an amazon link at a U2 site, then you will most likely get a U2 search. Then if you go to amazon from that site and they buy something, then the site owner gets some credit.

Hope that helps.

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

Looking at the site again, I realized they had some link to U2 news so probably they set that up on their own. Still quite freaky. Amazon can be scary when it comes to privacy at times.

one click shopping will be the end of us.

------------------
reflective panelling

Back
Top Bottom