Amazing U2 Facts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman

New Yorker
Thought it would be good to post some amazing u2 facts on here.

I would like to offer....

The largest PAYING audience for a single headlining artist (180 000) modena ITALY

Largest ever TV Screen (Popmart). Dunno if Vertigo counts?

Most powerful sound system ever (Zoo tv tour, Over 1 000 000 watts, apparently capable of killing you if turned full up!)

Only u2 and Beatles have had 5 albums in chart at same time in UK.

gman said:
Thought it would be good to post some amazing u2 facts on here.

Most powerful sound system ever (Zoo tv tour, Over 1 000 000 watts, apparently capable of killing you if turned full up!)

But what a way to go! :drool:

U2DMfan said:
Bono also shares the record for worst pants ever worn in a video with Mike Reno from Loverboy.

Would that be A Celebration video per chance? Its no coincidence that the vid was shot in a prison you know!!

Bono is the only man in history to be nominated for a Grammy, Oscar, Golden Globe, and Nobel Prize

Dig out The Joshua Tree's chart runs and there's some pretty impressive stuff there. I think it managed to be #1 for 26 weeks or half the year in one European country. France? Sting2 would know for sure.

gman said:
The largest PAYING audience for a single headlining artist (180 000) modena ITALY

Actually, that was 150,000, though I've read that it's likely more people managed to sneak in.

Re: Re: Amazing U2 Facts

Aygo said:

When did that happen? What were the albums?

Think it was around zoo tv time Aygo. Its in the guiness book of records under most albums in the chart similtaneously. On that basis, i rekon it would be, AB, R&H, JT, UF and War.

Another amazing fact is, and some may doubt this, but its true...........if you add up all the time U2 has been in the UK charts, it amounts to 28 years (with no break!!) of being present in the chart.

U2 never used the word "baby" in a song before the album Achtung Baby was released. It was used 27 x's on that album.

david said:
despite its title "Wideawake in America" the two live cuts on the album were actually recorded in the UK.

Actually "A Sort Of Homecoming" isnt live at a concert. They recorded it at a soundcheck and added the audience noise in for the EP. Or was it "Bad"? I dont remember for sure, but one of them was from soundcheck.

Last edited:
Val said:
U2 never used the word "baby" in a song before the album Achtung Baby was released. It was used 27 x's on that album.

Actually that should read that the word baby was not used in a song on an album until Achtung Baby. However the word baby is used in Spanish Eyes which was recorded during the Joshua Tree sessions and released as a b-side to ISHFWILF.

Dana

Blue Room said:

Actually "A Sort Of Homecoming" isnt live at a concert. They recorded it at a soundcheck and added the audience noise in for the EP. Or was it "Bad"? I dont remember for sure, but one of them was from soundcheck.

and that makes this fact more amazing!

Carek1230 said:

I don't think Vertigo counts in this category because Vertigo used the lightbulb strings and not a real TV screen.

This is a cool thread tho!

Outdoor was an LED screen, like Popmart.

Never saw Popmart in person, but i think the Popmart screen was wider, Vertigo may have been taller.

rihannsu said:

Actually that should read that the word baby was not used in a song on an album until Achtung Baby. However the word baby is used in Spanish Eyes which was recorded during the Joshua Tree sessions and released as a b-side to ISHFWILF.

Dana

"We had never allowed the band to use the word "baby" in a lyric. It did not exist in the U2 vocabulary. It is on Achtung Baby twenty seven times, which is one of the reasons for the title."
Bono, U2 by U2 pg. 216

But, Dana is right!

"Wey hey hey, baby hold on" is from the song "Spanish Eyes"which was released before Achtung Baby. Geez, you just can't believe Bono. What on earth made him say that? I'm going to need a back up fact checker for my book. Dana, can I come to you when in doubt?

thrillme said:
On one of the Italy ZooTV stops...the vibrations from Adam's bass amp were picked up on a Richter scale. :D

Theyre fekin wrecking the environment as......allegedly, similar thing happened on UF tour where, if i remember correctly, I think it was the crowd getting down so much, it set of the earthquake sensors. Think it was belgium. Who would of thought it!!

Out of interest, does our very own oracle (Axver) or anyone else know how many weeks U2 have spent on the US chart (in total), or in any other countries that match or better UK chart feat?

What is going on here? first it was double thread replies , now triple? Can someone remove the replica threads please????
Ppl.....am not mad!

Re: Re: Re: Amazing U2 Facts

coolian2 said:

Outdoor was an LED screen, like Popmart.

Never saw Popmart in person, but i think the Popmart screen was wider, Vertigo may have been taller.
Maybe taller but not in any way bigger in complete size then the Popmart screen i think.

having witnessed both screens..........by my reckoning, I would have thought Vertigo (outdoor) Stage was definately bigger. I remember being amazed how small pop mart screen seemed, but I think it was flexible (ie:meaning they could adjust the size of the stage) making it easier to fit in certain stadiums and still have the same impact. All this is dependant on my memory not having failed me and confusion taking over.
:giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Val said:

"We had never allowed the band to use the word "baby" in a lyric. It did not exist in the U2 vocabulary. It is on Achtung Baby twenty seven times, which is one of the reasons for the title."
Bono, U2 by U2 pg. 216

But, Dana is right!

"Wey hey hey, baby hold on" is from the song "Spanish Eyes"which was released before Achtung Baby. Geez, you just can't believe Bono. What on earth made him say that? I'm going to need a back up fact checker for my book. Dana, can I come to you when in doubt?

Uh, sure but I often don't remember sources for my info. I've read everything I could get my hands on about U2 in the last 2 years. But to be honest pretty much everything can be verified through online searching. One thing though, don't use anything from Mick Wall's book "Bono: In the Name of Love" without triple checking it. I just reread it and it is so full of error's its ridiculous. For instance he says that With of Without You video is shot on a rooftop in LA and shut down by the police when any idiot knows that was Streets. He called COBL a love song to Ali and Miracle Drug a Streets type song. From beginning to end mistakes in every single chapter and he doesn't source his quotes so you have no way of knowing where he is pulling this from.

Dana

rihannsu said:

Uh, sure but I often don't remember sources for my info.
Dana

I hear ya. I've read somewhere that Bono went to Paris with his father as a small boy, but now I can't find where I read that to save my life. Did you read that anywhere?
I now write every source down which takes an age.

One time, Bono had his hat flown first class to a concert in Italy.

(RED)ICULOUS!

Back
Top Bottom