AMAAW = Plagiate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
edurban said:

:huh: Let's keep our level of agression down, shall we, gvox!? :|

Yay :hyper: another episode of "Lost In Translation"

Perhaps you're not used to this yet here, but using "fuck" in a sentence or this guy :mad: doesn't mean aggression per se. I would use the term 'vehemently objecting' ;)

At any rate, and again meanings might be different where you're at, but when you say 'the sorts of George Michael', I read that as someone who's first language isn't English meaning 'the likes of George Michael'. Usually the saying "the likes of..." has a derogatory connotation and I thought you were making a character comparison between GM and MJB.

I misunderstood you, you misunderstood me. Whew!

edurban said:
Call me picky, for me saying that "U2 DO NOT need any kind of influence" is denying their musical history.

BTW, can I say that I did not even listen to the incriminated "tune", I was just picking on your statement. I would never think that U2 lifted a chorus off GM, I was just pointing out (by the means of my reference to Mary J Blige, GVOX!) that they are not impartial to popular music.

I used "tune" ´cause I understand "tune" as a series of musical notes that are sung or played in a particular order to form a piece of music... Well, that´s why I believe there are many, many songs with the same "tune" but not because a song writer wants to "plagiate"... (could be "steal" ??) a specific song or he felt influenced by this specific "tune":huh:
I just believe in "coincidence" of tunes, not in plagiate.

Anyway, I need to be honest with you and say that I heard here for the first time in my life about U2 being influenced by some kind of music... That´s why I got a little ....:confused:

I just can assure you I do love U2 songs, lyrics, tunes...whatever...just the way they are and I´ll keep in my mind Bono´s loyalty to the others band/songs/singers...

He really doesn´t need the word ' plagiate' to be part of his musical history.
:wink:

LET'S FACE IT....

NOBODY creates art in a vacume. Once we deal with that fact, there wouldn't be all these accusations of plaigarism. For example, memebers of the Beatles themselves openly admitted to subconsciously/conciously "pinching" from their 50's predecessors and some of them even got sued for it (ie, Chuck Berry's 'You Can't Catch Me' vs. Lennon's 'Come Together'). As long as the artist(s) is able to incorporate what he/she/they stole into his/her/thier own style, it shoudn't matter. If one was to single out U2 for it, then that person might as well point fingers all the way from Buddy Holly, Elvis Presley, to present day
:larry: :adam:

gvox said:

Yay :hyper: another episode of "Lost In Translation"

Perhaps you're not used to this yet here, but using "fuck" in a sentence or this guy :mad: doesn't mean aggression per se. I would use the term 'vehemently objecting' ;)

At any rate, and again meanings might be different where you're at, but when you say 'the sorts of George Michael', I read that as someone who's first language isn't English meaning 'the likes of George Michael'. Usually the saying "the likes of..." has a derogatory connotation and I thought you were making a character comparison between GM and MJB.

I misunderstood you, you misunderstood me. Whew!

Meh, here in Britain if I say fuck they crucify me, over there you can use it any other word, I am confused :scratch:
Anyway, no I did not mean anything derogatory towards George Michael, I really like him actually! I was just pairing out GM and MJB as both being pop singers.

Re: LET'S FACE IT....

asr said:
NOBODY creates art in a vacume. Once we deal with that fact, there wouldn't be all these accusations of plaigarism. For example, memebers of the Beatles themselves openly admitted to subconsciously/conciously "pinching" from their 50's predecessors and some of them even got sued for it (ie, Chuck Berry's 'You Can't Catch Me' vs. Lennon's 'Come Together'). As long as the artist(s) is able to incorporate what he/she/they stole into his/her/thier own style, it shoudn't matter. If one was to single out U2 for it, then that person might as well point fingers all the way from Buddy Holly, Elvis Presley, to present day
:larry: :adam:

THANK YOU!:yes:

Addicted To Bad said:

Anyway, I need to be honest with you and say that I heard here for the first time in my life about U2 being influenced by some kind of music... That´s why I got a little ....:confused:

Can I ask you how old are you and when did you get into U2? I don't mean to patronise but if you were very young and a new fan (the start of you membership could suggest that but then again I only joined in September and I have been a fan for a tiny bit more..) well, this would explain why you not hearing U2 were influenced by others before.

I want to cite an example I lifted off U2.com regarding the publication of Boy.
These are Edge's own words:

‘Going back through the early stuff, nothing really horrified me. Particularly on Boy, I can hear a bit of the Banshees and The Buzzcocks and some hint of The Skids, as well as - ha ha - some wildly original ideas of our own...[...]’

Edge speaking to Q Magazine, December 1998

Another example, Bono on Bomb:

'It started out to be a rock 'n' roll album, pure and simple. We were very excited that Edge wasn't sitting at the piano or twiddling a piece of technology, because he is one of the great guitarists. Halfway through, we got bored, because it turns out you can only go so far with rifferama. We wanted more dimension. Now you've got punk rock starting points that go through Phil Spectorland, turn right at Tim Buckley, end up in alleyways and open onto other vistas and cityscapes and rooftops and skies. It's songwriting by accident, by a punk band that wants to play Bach.' Bono

I know... I am pedantic:shrug: it's my job.

so, i googled plagiate to figure out what the hell was going on, and this thread is the 3rd link that shows up (1st link in english.)

I've learned nothing today :sad:

And I'm with LM, that music video sucks.

lol....

April 2004 for GM.....and november 2004 for U2..... then U2 had 6 months to plagiate GM knowing that the album was ready in July probably.... then only 2 months to plagiate.....

And I don't see an inch of "look-alike"

Drug is good...

edurban said:

Can I ask you how old are you and when did you get into U2? I don't mean to patronise but if you were very young and a new fan (the start of you membership could suggest that but then again I only joined in September and I have been a fan for a tiny bit more..) well, this would explain why you not hearing U2 were influenced by others before.

I want to cite an example I lifted off U2.com regarding the publication of Boy.
These are Edge's own words:

‘Going back through the early stuff, nothing really horrified me. Particularly on Boy, I can hear a bit of the Banshees and The Buzzcocks and some hint of The Skids, as well as - ha ha - some wildly original ideas of our own...[...]’

Edge speaking to Q Magazine, December 1998

Another example, Bono on Bomb:

'It started out to be a rock 'n' roll album, pure and simple. We were very excited that Edge wasn't sitting at the piano or twiddling a piece of technology, because he is one of the great guitarists. Halfway through, we got bored, because it turns out you can only go so far with rifferama. We wanted more dimension. Now you've got punk rock starting points that go through Phil Spectorland, turn right at Tim Buckley, end up in alleyways and open onto other vistas and cityscapes and rooftops and skies. It's songwriting by accident, by a punk band that wants to play Bach.' Bono

I know... I am pedantic:shrug: it's my job.

Thanks Edurban for your effort in bringing me closer to these important details about my favorite band. I recognize I was imature to say U2 was not influenced by others but the plagiate thread brought me negatives things about U2 something like: "U2 has cheatead other songs/singers/bands...)"

Yes, you´re right considering me younger than the average here and that I need to be more into these facts than only just love, listen to them, watch their DVDs and have fun.

I also learned that it´s not a good idea to talk about facts you don´t understand very "deeply". I´m new at Interference and I´ve read many old threads in order to learn more about them and I could notice that most of people here are really "experts" in terms of U2 history (obviously´- what else I could wait??) like you!!

I have a lot to learn, indeed!!

unico said:
so, i googled plagiate to figure out what the hell was going on, and this thread is the 3rd link that shows up (1st link in english.)

I've learned nothing today :sad:

:lmao:

Addicted To Bad said:

I need to be more into these facts than only just love, listen to them, watch their DVDs and have fun.

Nah, you can do "just" that and you'll be aok, probably better off than many of the nutters here, me included :lol:

I also learned that it´s not a good idea to talk about facts you don´t understand very "deeply".

........most of people here are really "experts" in terms of U2 history

Riiiiiight. Don't get too hung up on that! More crazy ideas and opinions than anything, to be honest ;)

If you're really into learning about U2, buy / borrow /steal the following books:

U2 Show
U2 by U2
and Niall Stokes books Into The Heart have been given the thumbs up by the band as being fairly accurate I think.

:)

Thks for the tips GVox.. I started buying first all DVDs materials I could. I think now I have all of U2 stuffs (the latest ones were the Joshua Tree Special Editon - that wonderful black box including an awesome book, b&w pics, cds and the show in Paris ...and POP Mart in Mexico in that ..:drool: silver package with 2 dvds... just amazing..). I´m kinda of "broken" but i intend to buy U2 BY U2 next month... oh...and U2 & I is my consumers dream..
It´s not cheap to be a U2 fan. I´m not sure but in my opinion U2´s stuffs are the most expensive in the music market.
:yes: but is worth each penny..:wink:

Addicted To Bad said:

Thanks Edurban for your effort in bringing me closer to these important details about my favorite band. [...]

I also learned that it´s not a good idea to talk about facts you don´t understand very "deeply". I´m new at Interference and I´ve read many old threads in order to learn more about them and I could notice that most of people here are really "experts" in terms of U2 history (obviously´- what else I could wait??) like you!!

I have a lot to learn, indeed!!

Oh noooo, come on, don't take it like this :hug: .
As I said, my job is all about being pedantic and it's very difficult not to let it out in real life :reject: . don't give me sarcasm because of it!

I am far from being an expert but I have done a fair bit of reading through the years and I just reacted to you insisting that you never heard about U2's musical influences.

Peace?

p.s. Neil McCormick's I was Bono's Doppleganger is a also good fun way of reading about the beginnings.

edurban said:

Oh noooo, come on, don't take it like this :hug: .
As I said, my job is all about being pedantic and it's very difficult not to let it out in real life :reject: . don't give me sarcasm because of it!

I am far from being an expert but I have done a fair bit of reading through the years and I just reacted to you insisting that you never heard about U2's musical influences.

Peace?

p.s. Neil McCormick's I was Bono's Doppleganger is a also good fun way of reading about the beginnings.

Yeah...!! LOVE AND PEACE OR ELSE ...:rockon:

(btw: what the f...:censored: does it mean PLAGIATE??) :reject:

(I couldn´t resist..:D )

Plagiate is the new Radiohead single

its about how all music is but a mundane derivative of radiohead's sonic thoughtscapes

¿

plaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii ate
doooooooooooooooooooooooont followwwwwwwwwwww
reguuuuuuuuuuuuurgiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitate
it's hollowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

So, let me guess this straight, you were casually listening to your sister's best friend's iPod on shuffle and came across a George Michael song or were you actually listening to George Michael? :scratch:

Back
Top Bottom