"also one of the most despised..."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Just something that shocked me the other day - I hired the Guiness Rockopedia from my school library the other day. Naturally, I flipped to the U2 page, and was taken aback to read this following statement.

"One of the most perplexing, iconoclastic and biggest bands on the earth, U2 are also one of the most despised. Detractors cite pomposity, pretension, earnestness and egotism; the flag-waving bluster of their 80s peak; the studied ironic posturing of their 90s guise; their terminally uncool Christianity; the bigness of it all.

What the hell? Since when were they one of the most despised bands? I went on to read the rest of the article, and was left very confused as to which way the writer felt - were U2 good or bad? Has anyone else read it? Under 'What' in their profile, they are listed as 'Planet-sized PopMartys, while the Stones are the greatest rock 'n' roll band in the world, and the Beatles are the most influential pop group in history. My friend the other day called them 'pussy'. The only song he knows is Vertigo.

And so what if they are Christians? I have a short story to tell. My cousin is in a band named Alibi. When they were going for a record label they were told that they would have to replace members, battle with drug addicitions and leave their religous beliefs behind. They told the producer to stuff it, that they were not going away from their beliefs and going to become potheads in the name of a record deal and I was just so inspired by that.

My main question here is is the reason U2 are despised because they don't fit the 'rock 'n' roll image' of drugs, sex, violence, drugs, alcohol and drugs?

Actually I agree with Rockopedia, you can't deny it.

But even if you hate Manchester United, you can't deny they're one of the biggest football club's in the world.

I don't think they're despised because they don't fit the rock n roll image. It's simply because they're an easy target.

COBL_04 said:

My main question here is is the reason U2 are despised because they don't fit the 'rock 'n' roll image' of drugs, sex, violence, drugs, alcohol and drugs?

Ellay put it nicely, they are an easy target.
Also the person who wrote the bio is probably a frustrated envious elitist hack. I don't think religion has anything to do with it, at all. They get more admiration for that than a lot of things.

I think there is a very large dose of cynicism about U2 from those who fall outside of the fandom, from all kinds. Even those who like them, I think they are cynical about their sincerity about their intentions etc. Also the music, see:Henry Rollins. I dislike a lot of bands, I wouldn't go out of my way to villify any of them. Well, maybe Poison or some hair band that I've hated since I was 13. Even then I wouldn't go out of my way. Hating U2 is a sport for some people. Like hating 'Creed' is popular to the masses these days, I think it's been popular for a long time to hate U2 outside of the mainstream.

They make it easy as well, a lot of people didn't get the whole irony phase, a lot of people didn't like the self-righteous 80's and a lot of people think these days they are either insincere or whoring out.

They expose themselves to great criticisms, good and bad by being so big and bold and with a singer who is too overexposed for any celebrity.

And then there is a jealousy and a complete lack of understanding. I'll finish by saying something I've said a few times recently, they've got a big image problem. Do they care? At first reaction, you probably think 'no', but then again they want to be loved as well. They simply can't please everybody, I wouldn't worry about it. A lot of people hate George Lucas and Steven Spielberg too.

Last edited:
You either love them or you hate them. Frankly I could care less about other peoples' opinion about the band.

Ellay said:
Actually I agree with Rockopedia, you can't deny it.

But even if you hate Manchester United, you can't deny they're one of the biggest football club's in the world.

Well said. They are a target because they are so huge. Tons of people are going to hate them for just that reason. Still, it is an odd thing to publish.

Canadiens1160 said:
You either love them or you hate them. Frankly I could care less about other peoples' opinion about the band.

I agree with not caring about other people's opinions about bands. Best to like what you like without regard for other's opinions.

However, I don't think like/dislike of U2 is an either/or deal for everyone. I dearly loved U2 in the 80's, didn't so much as give them a thought in the 90's, and like them ok now. Can't say I ever hated them, but I don't love them now either.

They are really easy to slag off though. :) But if you like them...don't worry about anyone else. Just enjoy them.

U2 has always been just a touch uncool. A little too enthusiastic. A little too transparent. A little too sincere. trying a little too hard to BE cool. All of those things are the very antithesis of cool. I like that about them.

A lot of times when people bring good into the world, they are despised for it. Sad, but it's a fact of life. Look at some of the big names in music that hate U2, it's pure jealousy.

You know, U2 can't be likeable to everyone. If this man writes U2 are one of the most despised band, it's more than clear that he's following a personal feeling, nothing else

babyman said:
You know, U2 can't be likeable to everyone. If this man writes U2 are one of the most despised band, it's more than clear that he's following a personal feeling, nothing else

This is a great post - there's more emotion (writers) to it then fact.

Although I must admit even my long-time friends who used to love U2 from way back in the day don't like them anymore. I have just two friends who like U2 as much as they ever did but the rest can't stand them. :huh: My brother who played in many bands that covered U2 songs - he actually despises them now and when ever we go any where puts a ban on listening to them.:huh:

I think though that because they are the best in the business they are easy targets and like the Yankees in American Baseball and the Canadiens used to be in Hockey it's easy to dislike this band

Who wrote this book? What is the Guinness Rockopedia? If it's supposed to be an opinion/critic book, then it's okay for that description to be there. If it's really supposed to be like an encyclopedia of rock bands....like a real reference....then it's not really right for such a blatant opinion to be in there. :shrug:

When you're a winner, there are always some who despise you because they can't reach you. It happens at school, sports, cinema, music........................I got one word:

ENVY

U2 have always had a lot of people who hate them, especially in the Uk. I grew up in London and growing up I knew of hardly any other U2 fans other than myself and my brother. Maybe people secretly liked them but wouldn't admit it in public, so I was almost a lone voice shouting Bono's gospel to my part of London!
The level of hatred was unparalleled in my experience, not even Bon Jovi or Queen or whoever got slagged of us much. The odd time I would meet a u2 fan i would be in paradise, finally able to converse with a kindred spirit!!

I agree totally that U2 have a bad image problem and in the 2000's that is almost entirely down to Bono I'm afraid. Having since met lots of U2 fans, I have noticed that many who ardently defended him in the 90's are now his main critics. They see him as selling out through his contacts with Blair and Bush and feel that all of his work is self serving and done to massage his ego's. If they was just everyday joe's i wouldn't care less about their opinion, but in my experience a lot of very intellegent, former U2 worshippers now are the total opposite, of course the Ipod commercials didn't help.
These aren't my opinions though, I have been a U2 worshipper since i was 11 and I will always stand up for them, just don't be shocked that so many people dislike them, it has almost always been the case.

You do read people's post in here, don't you?

You don't have to read much past interference to know they are one of the most despised groups.

u2 are are hated because they are succesful. My mates hate u2 but they respect them.

Something I can never wrap my head around is that if they are so despised, criticized, etc.. by everyone, even their fans, then how are they the biggest band in the world?

Who is buying their CDs? Their concert tickets? I don't get it? And people often post that none of their friends like U2, they hate them, etc...

***These are honest questions, it's like, on one hand, U2 is huge, on the other, they are so despised, it's amazing they have a fanbase at all!***

What makes them so big? Sure, they sold a ton of records with the Jochua tree, Achtung Baby, but how have ATYCLB and HTDAAB compared to those? And if they do compete, why?

It seems that most people just hate them out of ignorance, they have no idea about Bono's experience in Africa in 1985 BEFORE they were huge, how this effected him, I mean, his trip to Africa is a major theme on the Joshua Tree.

What about the fact that people just see them as a Huge band, filthy rich, and judge them just on the 2 or three singles since 2000 without knowing anything about Pop, Zooropa, Achtung, JT, War, UF, October, or Boy.

They had all this success without compromising artistic integrity, etc.. but people don't know or see that!

And the iPod thing is the future of MUSIC, U2 were smart enough to see this and didn't get paid for supporting the new direction of music! Whereas Kiss, Metallica, Motley Crew, AC/DC have action figures, lunchboxes, and anything else they can paste their name to that have nothing to do with MUSIC!!!

It comes down to ignorance, u2 being so big, being easy targets, jealousy, and people like to root for underdogs, though people forget or don't know, U2 Was the underdog...who made it!

any thoughts/comments?

They've ALWAYS had an image problem...and probably always will!

Read Neil McCormick's "Killing Bono"--even before they had a record contract, some people didn't like them. Locals prefered the Virgin Prunes, despite the fact the the Prunes (according to McCormick) literally were inspired by U2, and they were all friends.

U2 has never been good at making a "cool" image.

Most people can't look past an image...(people can be *very* shallow, esp. when it comes to celebs).

An a lot of those folks who "hate" them are the first in line for concert tickets...:wink:

innocent_eyes said:

Who is buying their CDs? Their concert tickets? I don't get it?

There's a large group of people that buy their CDs and tickets but then hide behind an elitist attitude that bands have to have a certain indie cred to be cool. Just look at this board, it's full of them.

For every person that hates U2 there are 4 more who love them. And some people dislike the current music, others dislike their 80's attitude, some dislike the 90's, some just can't stand Bono. Most people like some aspect of the band, however. And let's remember, the more successful you are the more haters you are going to have.

Still, I do take issue with the this writer's article--I do think U2 had periods of "cool" and I don't think religion has played that big a part in terms of their coolness/uncoolness, at least not in a while (and remember, they aren't all religious.)

As for U2 not fitting the "Rock and Roll Image"--I think in some ways, U2 VERY MUCH fit the rock and roll image, in fact, that may be the reason why certain indie types dislike them.

Lastly, what big names in music hate U2? It seems to me that most of them love to kiss their asses.
(and no, Henry Rollins and Chumbawumba do not count. I said BIG names in music :wink: )

Lemonfix said:

Lastly, what big names in music hate U2? It seems to me that most of them love to kiss their asses.
(and no, Henry Rollins and Chumbawumba do not count. I said BIG names in music :wink: )

Eric Clapton and Liam Gallagher, but that's probably jealousy.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

There's a large group of people that buy their CDs and tickets but then hide behind an elitist attitude that bands have to have a certain indie cred to be cool. Just look at this board, it's full of them.

:applaud:

well said

^Just read the Yahoo message boards whenever a Bono story is posted on Yahoo news. You'll find plenty.

people who "hate" U2 talk about their image but never about their music. they talk about it cause they know U2 create great music :cool: they are very jealous about U2's music :rolleyes:

ntalwar said:
^Just read the Yahoo message boards whenever a Bono story is posted on Yahoo news. You'll find plenty.

Yeah, but those are mainly about ONE, DATA, Red, etc. That has nothing to do with U2, their music, their tour. Generally, I get the impression that those kinds of people are *looking* for something to hate.

It's been my experience that a lot of the people that "hate" U2 have only heard a few of their songs, those being: Beautiful Day, Elevation, Vertigo, One, and With or Without You. And then they proceed to judge.

It is very simple. When you are the biggest band in the world, there is a very good chance that you will be the most loved and the most despised. It is simple math. Not sure why this is shocking or why anyone here really cares.

ntalwar said:

Eric Clapton and Liam Gallagher, but that's probably jealousy.

They have been slagging them off recently, but that doesn't mean they hate every aspect of their career--Oasis and U2 were friends at one time.

Anyway, it's easy to find people who hate U2 if you're looking for them--and I think sometimes U2 fans DO go looking for them.

Back
Top Bottom