Allow me to put an idea to you.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
"Beautiful Day is the sequel or second part of Wake Up Dead Man."

Discuss.

when you count every combo of dispair/hope, life/death, losing/finding again as sequals
then I might agree

I suppose you could say that Beautiful Day is the emergence from a period of mourning (Wake Up, Dead Man). But I've never thought of it that way.

Axver said:
OK, so no-one's read the book of Job lately?

Well I haven't read it from start to finish, kinda bounced around reading it, but I know the gist of Job. :)

Hmm, you've a point, Wake up Dead man, ends Pop, Beautiful day begins ATYCLB.

Wasn't Wake Up, Dead Man written during Zooropa sessions, though? So it's not like Bono's writing made the direct transition from where he was when he wrote WUDM to where he was when he wrote Beautiful Day.

madonna's child said:
Wasn't Wake Up, Dead Man written during Zooropa sessions, though? So it's not like Bono's writing made the direct transition from where he was when he wrote WUDM to where he was when he wrote Beautiful Day.

It's originally heard in the Salome Out-takes, and there may not be a direct connection, but thematically, I can definitely see a connection, even if it's not intentional. I need to re-read the book of Job myself, but I've recently been tossing around a theory that WUDM is the despondency and questioning of Job, while Beautiful Day is the 'happy ending' of the story. After all, I recall that the promo material for Beautiful Day did mention it was about a man who had lost everything but couldn't be happier, and I'm sure that made many people think of Job.

Anyway, I'm still working on this one in my mind.

Axver said:

After all, I recall that the promo material for Beautiful Day did mention it was about a man who had lost everything but couldn't be happier, and I'm sure that made many people think of Job.
B]

Yes, that's how I always thought of BD. I never thought of WUDM as the despondency in Job - but I think you're onto something there.

or wake up dead man could be the despondency of habakkuk or as long as were are going for a biblical theme possibly jeremiah. i personally it fits more in line with habakkuk than job as a just one the one song (wudm), but if you are trying to make a connection than job does bring the two songs together.

Back
Top Bottom