All those little questions that have been bugging you...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
...but were never quite important to start a thread about. I had one floating around today that I'd like answered.

The song A Different Kind of Blue... is it in any way connected with the Miles Davis album Kind of Blue?

Now there is a thread for which you can post all of your insignificant questions.

And let's try to keep this on track shall we? :p

Mine is important enough to make a thread about, to make lots of threads.

I still want to know who the hell sugar is.

On the vhs Achtung Baby the Videos the Cameos and a whole lot of Interference . In the beginning of The Fly video something is being licked :tongue: what is being licked ?
This something I hoped would be clarifyed on the on the dvd
but that part was cut :mad: from the Best of videos .

what is it ? :crazy: :scratch:

There's one thing I've been always puzzling about. Why Bono in OOTS sings: "I give you everything you wantssSSS, except the thing that you wantsSsSs". Despite the totally stupid meaning (yeah I get the sense, but it still sounds dumb lol) aren't these lines gramitically incorrect? Why these s's? Or maybe I'm just wrong? Cause obviously not hearing things!

Zooropean103 said:
There's one thing I've been always puzzling about. Why Bono in OOTS sings: "I give you everything you wantssSSS, except the thing that you wantsSsSs". Despite the totally stupid meaning (yeah I get the sense, but it still sounds dumb lol) aren't these lines gramitically incorrect? Why these s's? Or maybe I'm just wrong? Cause obviously not hearing things!

I've noticed the opposite thing in Please, he doesn't sing "please, get up off your knees, but just "plea, plea, get up off your knee, plea"...:huh:

I figured that would be one of two things:

(1) Poor enunciation (given his penchant for Bongolese, it wouldn't surprise me.)
(2) The entire chorus of the song is a plea, so it still works, even if it's grammatically incorrect.

:shrug: Bono's delivery of the line more than makes up for it, anyway.

u2trinity said:
On the vhs Achtung Baby the Videos the Cameos and a whole lot of Interference . In the beginning of The Fly video something is being licked :tongue: what is being licked ?
This something I hoped would be clarifyed on the on the dvd
but that part was cut :mad: from the Best of videos .

what is it ? :crazy: :scratch:

anyone have the answer for this or have the VHS and can check it out? thanks

U2lunatic said:

I've noticed the opposite thing in Please, he doesn't sing "please, get up off your knees, but just "plea, plea, get up off your knee, plea"...:huh:

ALL I WANT IH
ALL I NEED IH
ALL I WANT IH
YOUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Varitek said:
What is an intellectual tortoise?

I always think of this dude:

turtles.jpg

Zooropean103 - i think the sssssss you're hearing are actually the "t" sound extended.

U2lunatic - i think the missing "-se" part of please is just for effect. in singing...sometimes the "s" sound is omitted or altered when it appears at the end of words, and sometimes when that word is at the end of a phrase. it is more musically appealing for example to sing out

"Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" and slightly pronounce the s when ending the shout rather than sing it as "Beeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss" because you end up sounding like a snake :)

I think an intellectual tortoise would be someone who's not too bright, even chooses to hide themselves from any new ideas.

U2lunatic said:

I think in music some things are meant to be implied. Maybe he doesn't like the sound of the s or something, so he just doesn't say it. But we know that he means "please" given the title of the song.

By intelectual tortoise I thought he meant someone who was a little slow understanding intellectual things. I dunno. I don't like to think about that lyric because it's really lame.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom