All That You Can't or HTDAAB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Final Straw

The Fly
Sorry if this has been done before. Big debate that my sister my brother and i always have is which of the last two albums is better. My brother thinks bomb and my sis thinks All That You Can't.

Personally i prefer All That You Can't, even though i love Bomb. So, which one do you prefer and why?

(Again sorry if this has been done to death already!)

I prefer ATYCLB, it is a classic album in my opinion, and always makes me feel better if I am down. The albums has 7 classic songs (Beautiful Day, Stuck, Elevation, Walk On, Kite, Peace On Earth and Ground beneath her feet), and some other great highs like WILATW, and New York, plus the Man dreams one day to fly part in In a Little while is a highlight of the album. Overall I love the album

I've gotten to appreciate ATYCLB a lot more this past year. I feel that HTDAAB has better songs, but as a whole ATYCLB is a lot more consistent. So I think its a lot better than HTDAAB.

I much prefer HTDAAB because the song writing never reaches the depths of a Peace On Earth or a Grace .

BOMB much more better lots of classic songs like: vertigo, cobl, sometimes, new bullet (love and peace),oots, fast cars
what more important all songs from bomb rocks live !:drool:

XaviMF22 your avatar is freaking me out! Are the eyes moving or is it an optical illusion/me hallucinating?

Personally I prefer HTDAAB as an album...the songs are of a consistent high quality, the mood and pace of it seems better ordered than ATYCLB and the songs seem to gel together better as an album for me. That said, ATYCLB has some real gems on it and I don't hate it by any means.

Bomb brings more enjoyment out of me with its songs. I think ATYCLB probably has a little more "meaning" to it as an album, but I just can't resist the funner-ness of HTDAAB.

All those songs! Wow, it's like almost the whole CD is good. Look at this collection :drool:
Vertigo
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Love And Peace Or Else
City Of Blinding Lights
All Because Of You
Crumbs From Your Table
Original Of The Species
Yahweh
Fast Cars

I took out the ones I don't like :wink:

ATYCLB's great songs (Kite, Beautiful Day) were stronger than HTDDAB (Vertigo, Sometimes...).

But overall I'd go with HTDAAB.

HTDAAB is a better collection of songs, but there is not much consistency in the album.

ATYCLB is better as an album and there seems to be much more consistency and a definite overall theme.

If I want to listen to a few songs, I'll listen to HTDAAB. If I want to listen to a full album, it'll be ATYCLB.

I'll have to say Bomb. Both have great songs, but HTDAAB is much stronger as a whole album.

Bomb.......the songs overall are muche better.....othan than AMAAW adn OSC i think all of Bomb's songs are rather good......ATYCLB has too many songs that i dont particularly think are good (Grace, Peace on Earth, and Wild Honey) and then there are songs whicvh are not top notch (New York, IALW, Stuck)

A couple of years ago it was quite unfashionable to like All That You Can't Leave Behind here. Nice to see it being appreciated a bit.

10 years on and I still can't pick my favourite U2 album, Maybe it's How To Dismantle An Atomic. However nothing communicate better than POP and ATYCLB to me.

Personally it's not even close. HTDAAB is the a much better album. ATYCLB has some great songs(BD, Kite, When I look at the World) but it just doesn't sustain it for the entire album the way HTDAAB does. No contest Bomb hands down.

ATYCLB was the first release after I became a fan. I love the attention it brought to the group, and the accolades they received for it, and the healing it promoted following September 11th. The way they presented Elevation as an opener cannot be beat, I think. Aside from that, I can totally do without it. That sounds harsh just typing it, but that album has honestly gone in the file with War and October as albums I just have no desire to hear. Bomb, on the other hand is in the file with AB and JT as albums I could put on and listen to all day long. I listened to it for a solid week when it first came out, and am still not tired of it now.

Wow Angell... froma person with the ATYCLB Suitcase those are (or seem) harsh words (You consider War a bland release? Interesting.) Each to their own though :cool:

Anyway, I think I agree with most people that say ATYCLB is weaker by the end. I absolutely love the first 6 tracks. All incredible. But the last, are meh. I should listen to it again though as it has been a while...

HTDAAB is stronger overall... Much stronger. The only tracks I don't like too much are One Step Closer and Yanweh(like it live much more).

Let me Compare :)

Beautiful Day vs Miracle Drug Battle of the Hope songs

Beautiful Day is much better. Hands down. I can't say enough good about Beautiful Day. I like Miracle Drug but you can't compare it to the beauty and hope in Beautiful Day. people say the lyrics in Beautiful Day are weak, but they are some of the best lyrics I have ever heard and mean so much to me.

Vertigo vs Elevation Battle of the Rockers

Sorry Elevation. Can't beat the speed and energy of Vertigo. Its a swirling storm... a hurricane. Unstopable. I love Elevation, but the album version isn't as good as live or as the remix, whereas Vertigo kicks ass recorded AND live.

Kite vs Sometimes Battle of the Ballads

Both amazing. I can't really find a song which is better. Sometimes has beautiful falsettos and is about Bono's father - more heartfealt... but I have read that Kite is a song Bono wants to leave to his kids. It can be interpreted many different ways, to kids, to his father, to a lover. Hearing this one live on Slane and reading the lyrics made me teary eyed. But than again... hearing Sometimes on the record got to me.

Both amazing.

The thing is, if you keep going down the list (I wasn't going in track listing, but by the song type, according to moi)

I like Bomb more.:cool:

Sting said:
Wow Angell... froma person with the ATYCLB Suitcase those are (or seem) harsh words (You consider War a bland release? Interesting.) Each to their own though :cool:

I haven't posted here in many many moons. I used to have a cool animated mousie, but I guess he's gone now. The suitcase wasn't my choice. :) I have nothing against ATYCLB. It is a U2 release, written from their heart. Its just very serious, dealing with very sober subjects, and I don't really like it. I prefer the playful darkness of AB. And Bomb just rawks. :D

Production on All That... is better, and it's much more consistent as an album. It's really let down, however, with Grace and Wild Honey, and the whole second half of the album sound a bit *too* similar.

When listening to it myself, I usually opt for my alternate ATYCLB, which looks like this

Beautiful Day
Elevation (Tomb Raider)
New York
Peace On Earth
Kite
In A Little While
Stuck (Acoustic)
Walk On (Single)
Summer Rain
Electrical Storm
The Ground Beneath Her Feet

I prefer the Bomb, even though ATYCLB material with certain playlists is pretty amazing

ATYCLB...it was a successful mainstream venture into adult contemporary, and the songs were memorable. The new album to me sounds like an adult contemporary band trying to rock out, but failing.

Back
Top Bottom