All That You Can't Leave Behind vs. Zooropa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote!!!

• All That You Can't Leave Behind

Votes: 64 36.6%
  • Zooropa

Votes: 111 63.4%

• Total voters
I'm sorry, but I have to ask....how can you guys regard "The Wanderer" as a "challenging track"? To me it's no more challenging or innovative than the music from a nintendo game.

U2Man said:
I'm sorry, but I have to ask....how can you guys regard "The Wanderer" as a "challenging track"? To me it's no more challenging or innovative than the music from a nintendo game.

The Mario bros soundtrack revolutionized the gaming industry.

Ok, i dont know what i´m talking about :der:

Zootlesque said:
Methinks this might be interesting cos these are really the 2 extremes of U2's career!

:dance:

ATYCLB an extreme???

Try Pop or Rattle And Hum.

As much as I love the album, there's no special sound to it, Beautiful Day is their least "extreme" song ever.
Elevation, extreme???

Anyway I love Zooropa best.

Re: Re: All That You Can't Leave Behind vs. Zooropa

God Part III said:

ATYCLB an extreme???

Different extreme ends of the safety scale. Zooropa is at one end as probably the most challenging and least 'U2' sounding U2 album (for those who like to box U2 into a sound they made for 4 or 5 years), and at the other end of that spectrum, ATYCLB is U2's most 'accessible to the masses' album. So yeah, Elevation is an extreme because it sits at the "mind numbingly middle of the road" end of the scale, with a song like Numb, which was one hell of a confrontational opening single for a lot of U2 fans who just wanted to hear stadium anthems, sitting at the "as far away from Pride as you can get" end of the scale.

Wild Honey, Grace, New York are awful songs. Stuck in a Moment is atrocious. However, the album contains Kite, When I Look At the World, Walk On, and Beautiful Day, all some of my favorite songs U2 has ever made, so I voted for ATYCLB.

But then again, I like what Axver said about Zooropa. They really did push themselves and come out with something fresh and new. I do love Zooropa :mad: :mad:

Re: Re: Re: All That You Can't Leave Behind vs. Zooropa

Earnie Shavers said:

Different extreme ends of the safety scale. Zooropa is at one end as probably the most challenging and least 'U2' sounding U2 album (for those who like to box U2 into a sound they made for 4 or 5 years), and at the other end of that spectrum, ATYCLB is U2's most 'accessible to the masses' album. So yeah, Elevation is an extreme because it sits at the "mind numbingly middle of the road" end of the scale, with a song like Numb, which was one hell of a confrontational opening single for a lot of U2 fans who just wanted to hear stadium anthems, sitting at the "as far away from Pride as you can get" end of the scale.

You perfectly said what I wanted to! :up:

It's amazing to think about this here... that they had the fucking balls back then in 1993 to release Numb first and not Stay!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: All That You Can't Leave Behind vs. Zooropa

Zootlesque said:

You perfectly said what I wanted to! :up:

It's amazing to think about this here... that they had the fucking balls back then in 1993 to release Numb first and not Stay!!!

Does this mean you think it's weak U2 released "Pride", by then a very typical sounding U2 song, as the lead single from UF, instead of "4th of July"?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: All That You Can't Leave Behind vs. Zooropa

MrBrau1 said:

Does this mean you think it's weak U2 released "Pride", by then a very typical sounding U2 song, as the lead single from UF, instead of "4th of July"?

Cmon now! I'm not saying that they shouldn't release a radio friendly track as first single. Just saying it's a lot more interesting and makes you sit up and take notice when they release a weird experimental track as first single! Besides, songs like Numb and Lemon pretty much defined that era! Stay has a more traditional arrangement after all.

Oh and btw, please don't compare the radio-friendly feel of Pride in 1984 (which was NOT typical U2 back then after the post punk of Boy/Oct/War thankyouverymuch!) with the radio-friendy feel of something like COBL in 2005. Cos by 2005, it's U2 by the numbers! Done several times over!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: All That You Can't Leave Behind vs. Zooropa

Zootlesque said:

Cmon now! I'm not saying that they shouldn't release a radio friendly track as first single. Just saying it's a lot more interesting and makes you sit up and take notice when they release a weird experimental track as first single! Besides, songs like Numb and Lemon pretty much defined that era! Stay has a more traditional arrangement after all.

Oh and btw, please don't compare the radio-friendly feel of Pride in 1984 (which was NOT typical U2 back then after the post punk of Boy/Oct/War thankyouverymuch!) with the radio-friendy feel of something like COBL in 2005. Cos by 2005, it's U2 by the numbers! Done several times over!

I dunno: IWF, OOC, SBS, Gloria, NYD.

They had a pretty well established sound at that point. Infact, Pride kind of stands out on UF as the odd "anthem" track.:hmm:

At least be consistent in your critque.

Don't even get me started on TJT. Streets? please.

Last edited:
Okay, wise guy... IWF, NYD, SBS, Pride, Bad, Streets, WOWY all sound different from each other. But COBL sounds a lot like Streets, doesn't it??!

:tongue:

Zootlesque said:
Okay, wise guy... IWF, NYD, SBS, Pride, Bad, Streets, WOWY all sound different from each other.

Oh, yes, they all sound different from each other. But, nonetheless, they ARE the U2 sound. And Pride follows that sound. And U2 didn't have the "balls" to break from it in 1984. Chiming echo-laden guitars, martial beats, soaring vocals.

I like the U2 sound.

Whether made in 1980, 1984, 1991, or 2005.

Tis a good sound.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: All That You Can't Leave Behind vs. Zooropa

Zootlesque said:

Stay has a more traditional arrangement after all.

Exactly, in fact it's so traditional that you wonder why a lot of the people who claim to love "innovative and brave" U2 of the 90's call attention to this song all the time when they speak of the 90's. It makes no sense :huh:

Zootlesque said:
But COBL sounds a lot like Streets, doesn't it??!

And One and Stay follow the tried and proven WOWY formula. Your point?

If ATYCLB makes me feel like I felt when I first kissed a girl...

...then Zooropa makes me feel like I felt when I first ( fill in the spaces yourselves ;) ).

What do you want?
Zooropa everytime, baby!

Zooropa is a gift from another planet! It's a special package delivered by a tiny alien who's found a wormhole in time.

Thanks tiny alien!!!

:wave: byeeeeee!

Axver said:

And One and Stay follow the tried and proven WOWY formula. Your point?

NO! I disagree. COBL sounds a lot like Streets with the build-up intro and similar outro!

Whatever similarity there is between One, Stay and WOWY, if any at all, is not even close!!!

And Brau, they are NOT all the same U2 sound!!! IWF and NYD sound different from Pride and Bad which sound nothing like Bullet and One Tree Hill etc etc...

They constantly evolved in the 80s and thru the 90s. But now there is no progression whatsoever! Just trying to do the same thing they did 15 years ago! Recycled melodies... that no doubt sound good but are of not much artistic quality or merit. :tsk:

I've gotta go with the minority here and say ATYCLB is the better album. I didn't like it nearly as much when it came out, but it has REALLY grown on me in the last year or so. It really is a masterpiece of an album.

I absolutely love Zooropa, but it is definitely an album that I need to be in the mood for.

Some Days Are Better Than Others is one of the worst U2 songs ever. Babyface is also horrid in my opinion. Dirty Day is fantastic live, but fantastically boring on the album. Numb is so-so. Very creative and different, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is a great song. Lemon is the same way.

It's really interesting how people--especially U2 fans-- tend to think that "different" is automatically better. Keep in mind this is coming from a guy who absolutely loves Achtung Baby, Pop, Radiohead, Arcade Fire, The White Album...ect.

ATYCLB ebarasses me sometimes... Zooropa all the way. No brainer.

Oh, and i definately agree to what Axver said about pounding the shit out of ATYCLB :wink:

Zooropa embarasses me too sometimes...

Telling a friend U2 are the best rock band in the world and then he hears Numb or Lemon... quite embarassing

Back
Top Bottom