All That You Cant Leave Behind should have been an acoustic album.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cant see beautiful day and elevation working to well unplugged

No offence, but that might be one of the worst hypotheticals I've ever heard here. :no:

All That You Can't Leave Behind is good because of its production and melodies and textures and whatnot.

Listen to New York, In a Little While, Elevation, When I Look at the World, and Grace, then get back to me.

Amen LemonMacPhisto and Lancemc, amen.

While ATYCLB can sound like a very simple album when listened to passively, it is an entirely different listen on headphones, where you can pick out the many different sonic treatments going on. I really credit Eno and Lanois for making this album the album that it is.

FullonEdge2 said:
Amen LemonMacPhisto and Lancemc, amen.

While ATYCLB can sound like a very simple album when listened to passively, it is an entirely different listen on headphones, where you can pick out the many different sonic treatments going on. I really credit Eno and Lanois for making this album the album that it is.

the 3rd masterpiece ?

It's definitely up there, a great album, could have been a masterpiece with a stronger 2nd half.

Back to the topic - while I agree that Eno and Lanois' sonic texturing gives this album another dimension, I could see many of these songs working acoustically - yes, even 'Elevation', much like the 'Desire' acoustic version. Obviously 'Stuck' works brilliantly, as would 'Walk On' (which incidentally started off as an acoustic song, one which Daniel Lanois said was actually better that way). 'Kite' would be great acoustically, and so would 'In A Little While'. And we all know about 'Wild Honey'. Not too much work would go in there to strip it down a bit! I think even 'When I Look at the World' would be great as a folk song. And you'd be surprised: 'Grace' would be a beautiful acoustic lullabye. All in all, this album could have worked acoustically...but I appreciate it as it is. Eno and Lanois are masters.

Disgusting .............. :huh: :huh: :huh:

What would be without Edge's explorer shinin sounds .........

And so many great stuff

Save the shinin' guitars for another album? It seems most of you automatically think about the subtraction over the addition. Accoustics would have given the album the feel I think it should have. Let the accoustic bass and drums fill in the gaps. No need for Eno sounds.

t8thgr8 said:
Save the shinin' guitars for another album? It seems most of you automatically think about the subtraction over the addition. Accoustics would have given the album the feel I think it should have. Let the accoustic bass and drums fill in the gaps. No need for Eno sounds.

In my humble opinion, there is always a need for Eno sounds:wink:

I think The Edge is a bit unarmed (musically) on Acoustic guitar. I think only Stuck and IALW will work acoustically, rest are beautiful as they are. Walk On is not a half song it is without electric guitar crescendo, same with GBHF.

I think Eno, Lanois and U2 combo can hit and has hit musical gold every time.

ATYCLB is already dreadful, lame, the worst ever U2 album. But the worst part of the album are those filler acoustic numbers like In a Little While or Wild Honey :yawn:

So if ATYCLB were an acoustic album could be possibly the worst "rock" album of the noughties :shrug:

ponkine said:
ATYCLB is already dreadful, lame, the worst ever U2 album. But the worst part of the album are those filler acoustic numbers like In a Little While or Wild Honey :yawn:

So if ATYCLB were an acoustic album could be possibly the worst "rock" album of the noughties :shrug:

In a Little While isn't even acoustic. Can you at least make sure that your whinings are based on fact?

ponkine said:

Little While is not acoustic ............... :eyebrow:

And btw if u say things like that ponkine , WTF u re doing on a u2 board ????? :huh: :huh: :huh:

The album is more acoustic than the band had been in years -- probably about half the album is semi-acoustic at least....

And I've just crossed the thousand-post bar!

Why did I put two Cs in acoustic? anyway...

The Edge is unarmed with an acoustic? That's funny because I just heard him playing Stairway to Heaven in another thread. And who said anything about it being a rock record? Maybe it didnt need to be a rock album to begin with. Making Beautiful Day and Elevation with acoustics in the form we all know it in DOES sound like a bad idea. But Im thinking outside the box here and Id like some of you to join me, it's pretty out here.

Change Bono's voice to suit the mellow sound, more soulful singing, Edges guitar would sound totally different. The rythym section would sound fresh too. Id picture them sitting in a circle jamming out in a studio. It would sound unlike any album before it, it would be one of a kind. It would also fit the mood I think they were going after really well.

The beautiful places that we visit on Joshua Tree, Unforgettable Fire and some part of Zooropa is due to Edge's guitar effects. For me thats U2's unique value, I don't think any other band can achieve it ways U2 can.

Acoustic album as 'concept' would be always welcomed. But I like most U2 albums as they are and I don't feel the need to over complicate things by changing track order. ;-)

ATYCLB should have been a silent album, after all U2 always looking to push boundaries (or envelope for our U.S friends).

The band should have used jugs and metal washing boards on this album and saws on ATYCLB. That would have been awesome.

What about ATYCLB Redux with Jon Bon Jovi and Henry Rollins providing choirboy backing vocals? Bring it on.

Michael Griffiths said:
It's definitely up there, a great album, could have been a masterpiece with a stronger 2nd half.

The secret to this album is that the 2nd half is actually the better half. That's what makes it their "3rd masterpiece," as Rolling Stone calls it.

I'm not sure the 2nd half is the better half, but the songs are great. It IS the 3rd masterpiece, I think a better tracklist would have nailed it in.

As for it being an acoustic album. I'm not sure... Beautiful Day is the awesome track it is beacuse of the layering and texturing, which is in some points very subtle. Great produciton on this track, I think the best produced track of the last two albums.

So I think a different tracklist could've been

Elevation
Stuck in a Moment
Kite
Wild Honey
In a little while
Beautiful Day
Peace on Earth
When I look at the world
Walk On
Grace

Save the best for the second part , what do you think?

Well, before the album came out, Bono kept saying that it was going to be a more "stripped down" sound. I'm sure a number of the songs started off acoustically, but eventually Edge decided to plug in his guitar.

Back
Top Bottom