All That You Can't Leave Behind Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
we jussssssssssssssst had an atyclb and htdaab appresh thread

Beautiful Day
Stuck In A Moment
Walk On
Kite
In A Little While
When I look at the World

U2 at the top of their game. :up:

U2Man said:
it's U2's third masterpiece.

according to the same magazine that says kurt cobain is a better guitarist than the edge

U2girl said:

Let's not get into how many apprection threads Pop had.

like many months ago, not just last week like we had for atyclb

:applaud: for ATYCLB

As I stated elsewhere:

Utoo said:

The "back to their roots" argument came out with 1). the lack of heavy twisting of electronic effects on the album, and 2). the "stripped-down" appearance of the tour. It does not, in any way, describe the music itself. Does ATYCLB sound like Boy? Nope. October? Nope. It doesn't sound like any of their previous albums, especially not JT. Like it or not, ATYCLB is its own beast, and the only way the band got back to their roots are those two points I just mentioned. Detractors of the album can't seem to realize that, though.

U2 "copied" themselves on ATYCLB as much as they "copied" electronica/dance with Pop----not at all.

It's a great album. Despite the fact that some claim it's just a collection of songs, the album has its own certain "feel." (which, to me, makes it more than just a collection of songs...) Do I love all the songs? No. Do I love all the songs on any U2 album? Nope.

Chizip said:

according to the same magazine that says kurt cobain is a better guitarist than the edge

edge plays more guitar on atyclb than he does on pop.

Chizip said:

like many months ago, not just last week like we had for atyclb

I was referring to the fact that Pop on average gets more appreciation threads and posts than maybe all other U2 albums put together.

edited to add: meanwhile ATYCLB and Bomb get crapped on more than all other U2 albums put together.

Just avoid this thread if you don't like it.

Last edited:
Utoo said:

It's a great album. Despite the fact that some claim it's just a collection of songs, the album has its own certain "feel." (which, to me, makes it more than just a collection of songs...) Do I love all the songs? No. Do I love all the songs on any U2 album? Nope.

:up: I have never thought of it as a collection of songs - when i listen to it I listen to the whole thing and not just odd songs. All that you can't leave behind rocks!

U2girl said:

I was referring to the fact that Pop on average gets more appreciation threads and posts than maybe all other U2 albums put together.

Just avoid this thread if you don't like it.

but then U2man would be sad if i ignored his thread

Really a great album...a masterpiece? I don't know, but still an album I always go back to and listen.

The first half is incredible. The second half has some great songs but also some of u2's weaker ones they've ever recorded in my opinion.

"Peace on Earth" is horrible.
"Wild Honey" is decent but i have to be in a mood to hear it. Same with "grace."

"New York" is awesome

My favorites:

Beautiful Day
Walk On
Peace On Earth
When I Look At The World
New York
Grace

Good album, very uplifting but mediocre lyrics overall!

One of my favourite albums, always makes me feel better after listening to it. Though having the Ground beneath her feet on it, ruins Grace.

I appreciate WILATW, TGBHF, and Grace.

I sort of appreciate Kite and Walk On.

That is all.

Beautiful Day
- One of my top 5 favorite songs, sang most of it right in front of me, in my top 3 favorite videos.

Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
- The words to this song hit home on several occasions, and is my sons favorite.

Elevation
- The ultimate pick me up song.

Walk On
- You could have flown away, like a singing bird in an open cage, Who will only fly, only fly for freedom, the ending. :drool:

Kite -
As strange as it seems, I told my family this must be played when I pass on.

In A Little While -
Love his voice on this, sounds sexy as could be.

Wild Honey
- Everyone makes fun of this song but I think these words are beautiful and fit many a scenario, its part of a bible verse and could be words to a lover: Did I know you, did I know you even then, Before the clocks kept time, before the world was made, From the cruel sun you were my shelter, You were my shelter and my shade.

Peace On Earth - Everyone could take a lesson from this one.

When I Look At The World
- I think of this as like a letter to God.

New York - Niiiiiiice, even better from Elevation from Boston.

Grace -
If you listen closely, maybe more than once, it explains the Grace/Karma issue that Bono speaks about

The Ground Beneath
- Her Feet Let me love you, let me rescue you, Let me bring you where two roads meet, Oh, come back above where there is only love, Only love...:drool: Only diehards I think would love this song.

Last edited:
Beautiful Day is pop rock perfection to me. Every single thing about it is great....that's how I feel at least.

Well, it certainly's not the third masterpiece in U2's career, but it's a great album.
There are a few songs that I find average (but that happens in every U2 album, so that's no problem). It has a very strong A-side and the album is the most uplifting and positive thay have, I think.
I think that Levitate and Ground Beneath could've made the final tracklist, but that's okay.
ATYCLB is great because it's simple, it has good melodies, any song could have turned a single (except for Grace).
Contradicting the opinion of the majority, I think Grace is a great closer and a beautiful song, because of its ambient and relaxing feeling and because its lyrics are very honest and sincere.
Best tracks there: Beautiful Day, Elevation, Stuck in a moment, Walk On, Grace.:up:

2000's bashers... get a life! Don't like, don't answer to it. There's no need to be childish and start the thread that way...

I made a thread like this a long time ago where I wrote a ton on why ATYCLB is such a masterpiece. If anyone feels like finding it, I'd love to see what I said. :lol:

Utoo said:
:applaud: for ATYCLB

As I stated elsewhere:

U2 "copied" themselves on ATYCLB as much as they "copied" electronica/dance with Pop----not at all.

werd =)

when i get a car, the lisence plate is going to say "ATYCLB"
^______________^

Would have been a masterpiece if 'Stateless' and 'Summer Rain' had been worked in there somehow. I think 'Stateless' would have worked after 'The Ground Beneath Her Feet' which should have come before and not after 'Grace'. Without listening to it first, something like this would have been one amazing album:

1. Beautiful Day
2. Elevation
3. Walk On
4. Kite
5. In A Little While
6. Stuck in a Moment
7. Wild Honey
8. When I Look at the World
9. Peace On Earth (even better with 'Smile')
10. New York
11. Summer Rain
12. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
13. Stateless
14. Grace

:drool:

Not sure if 'Summer Rain' really fits, mind you (it has that abrupt beginning). Maybe replace it with 'Smile'. When in doubt, just replace with 'Smile'! :wink:

This album took away my eliteness in musical taste. It's appreciated by the masses hence it's shallow and lacks intellect in terms of music. How could I not say Bonos-worst-lyrics-ever.

IMO U2's darkest album ever, it's more misunderstood than POP.

I think U2 are the early adapters 'minimalism' which I think would be the way to go in this decade, culturally at least.

Back
Top Bottom