all that you can't leave behind appreciation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popacrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
i'm tired of the negative shit posted here about all that you can't leave behind, like it's cool to dislike it or something.

beautiful day, stuck in a moment (despite all the production; live and acoustic versions are amazing as well), walk on, kite, in a little while, when i look at the world , new york-- all great songs. :up:

elevation is a fun stupid rock song that works very well live, especially this tour in my opinion.

wild honey isn't half as bad as people slag it off to be on this board, i actually quite like it, especially the live versions.

peace on earth is alright. i'm pretty indifferent to it, and grace hasn't done anything for me either way for or against it.

plus, some areas had the ground beneath her feet on it. another excellent song. :up:

all in all, a pretty good to great album in my opinion.

Apart from In A Little While and to a lesser extent Wild Honey, ATYCLB is an extremely solid and very good album. Songs like Walk On, Kite, and The Ground Beneath Her Feet are nothing short of brilliance; they're U2 classics that are more than the equal of stuff on the Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby.

When I Look At The World is some of Bono's best lyricism and social commentary; it makes wonderful points and shouldn't be so ignored. I also think Grace is one of the best songs on the album - it's soft, tender, and beautiful, and some of the lyrics are awesome. Considering the criticisms here, I think some people just have a five minute loop of "grace, it's a name for a girl, it's also a thought that changed the world". Get over that line and listen to the rest of the song! You manage to get past "I want to run, I want to hide" in Streets quite fine!

If the album was 50 minutes of When I Look At The World rather than 50 minutes of 11 different songs, I'd like it more.

There's some good stuff on it, don't get me wrong. I love WILATW. Beautiful Day is still good, as is Walk On. Kite would be fantastic if not for the last verse. I like Grace a lot, regardless of what anyone says.

It's not that bad, but it's my 10th least favorite, and I can't figure out what they were trying to do with it yet.

And mine doesn't have Ground, otherwise I'd like it even more. Fantastic tune.

When I look At The World :drool:

In a LIttle While :drool:

Beautiful Day (Live) :drool:

Kite :drool:

OMG I almost forgot Walk On! :reject:

Last edited:
Beautiful Day
Walk On
Kite
In A Little While
Stuck In A Moment
Wild Honey

Would have been a perfect EP. New York and Elevation are great live, but average on the album.

inmyplace13 said:
If the album was 50 minutes of When I Look At The World rather than 50 minutes of 11 different songs, I'd like it more.

There's some good stuff on it, don't get me wrong. I love WILATW. Beautiful Day is still good, as is Walk On. Kite would be fantastic if not for the last verse. I like Grace a lot, regardless of what anyone says.

It's not that bad, but it's my 10th least favorite, and I can't figure out what they were trying to do with it yet.

And mine doesn't have Ground, otherwise I'd like it even more. Fantastic tune.

Wow... dude, that's pretty much exactly my view.. well, except for Grace which doesn't do much for me. As for Kite, I think the last few lines ruin an otherwise good song. BD, Walk On, Kite, POE, WILATW and NY are my favorites here. Yes, I'm one of the very few here that loves Peace on Earth.

edit: My copy doesn't have TGBHF which is without a doubt the best song and it wasn't included. :mad:

Axver said:
"grace, it's a name for a girl, it's also a thought that changed the world". Get over that line and listen to the rest of the song! You manage to get past "I want to run, I want to hide" in Streets quite fine!

Well said! Grace is sooo under-rated. I've never understood people who find it boring: what do you want? Happy hardcore? Metallica? CHILL OUT for heaven's sake!

I consider this to be U2's best album. A few random things I love about it and that i'm sure no one will agree with:

1. The guitar solo at the end of 'Beautiful Day' is the best Edge has ever done. So dizzy and wild.

2. Walk On has everything you could ever want from a U2 song- great intro, lyrics that mean something, an inspirational political message, a wicked guitar solo, sounds great live, especially with the uplifting 'Hallelujah's at the end.

4. In A Little While- people that i know who hate U2 love this one. I sing it when i'm tired and want to go to bed. For me it's just a song about wanting something really badly- I love how Bono sings how i feel.

5. Bono's best line ever is in 'Peace on Earth': "Where I grew up there weren't many trees/ Where there was we'd tear them down/ Use them on our enemies".

6. The Ground Beneath Her Feet is one of the most beautiful songs they've ever written.

People think this is a soft-core album. But i think it's harder than people might imagine. The whole thing is a valediction but it's got a great joy in it. The album is uplifting and it came at a time when the only rock music being played was fucking Limp Bizkit and Creed. I remember Bono saying that it was too easy to paint in black when writing music, that joy was a much harder thing to conjure up than despair and depression. So much of this album is about saying goodbye, about losing and being lost, but at the bottom of it all is a tremendous happiness and sense of rejoicing. I think that's the real trick of it and it's so refreshing after album upon album of misery, despair, drugs, sex and death being used to write songs.

Make your judgements if you must.

misterboo said:

People think this is a soft-core album. But i think it's harder than people might imagine. The whole thing is a valediction but it's got a great joy in it. The album is uplifting and it came at a time when the only rock music being played was fucking Limp Bizkit and Creed. I remember Bono saying that it was too easy to paint in black when writing music, that joy was a much harder thing to conjure up than despair and depression. So much of this album is about saying goodbye, about losing and being lost, but at the bottom of it all is a tremendous happiness and sense of rejoicing. I think that's the real trick of it and it's so refreshing after album upon album of misery, despair, drugs, sex and death being used to write songs.

Make your judgements if you must.

misterboo, I think this is one hell of a great post. Because you're right, a lot of the album is about losing everything, but in the end something good comes out of it.

I just moved away from home, and this album is the one being most played in my ipod.

Walk On - "And I know it aches, and your heart it breaks, and you can only take so much."

Beautiful Day - Uplifting song.

Kite - "I know that this is not goodbye."

When I Look At The World - "When your thoughts are too expensive, to ever want to keep."

Personally, I think this is among U2's best song writing, and among their best work in my opinion. And you realize it when the lyrics Bono is talking about actually hit you.

misterboo said:

6. The Ground Beneath Her Feet is one of the most beautiful songs they've ever written.

I'm not tryin to be a nitpicker but Salman Rushdie wrote TGBHF, and asked Bono to use it somehow in a song

LemonMacPhisto said:

I'm not tryin to be a nitpicker but Salman Rushdie wrote TGBHF, and asked Bono to use it somehow in a song

Other way around. Rushdie wrote the lyrics, U2 wrote music and wanted to use those lyrics.

Beautiful Day...gorgeous.

When I look At The World... :drool:

and I feel like Wild Honey doesn't get enough love around here. i really like this song.

namkcuR said:

Other way around. Rushdie wrote the lyrics, U2 wrote music and wanted to use those lyrics.

The music on it is just...:drool:

I admit, it took hearing live versions for me to really appreciate this album, but it's a great album.

It's one of the U2 albums I don't rank numerically, it gets played depending on how I feel.

Basically, after War, JT, AB, October, Atomic Bomb/Boy, their other albums aren't ranked in any way.

Its a good album, not one of my favourites but still pretty good.

Because of it being over played and over hyped I dont like Beautiful Day as much as I used to (though it is still a good song). :(

Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of is a song I don't like at all anymore, and I can't warm to Grace but the other 10 songs on the album are good.
It took a while for many of the songs to grow on me (such as Peace On Earth, Wild Honey and New York) but now, besides SIAMYCGOO and Grace, I enjoy the album.

The Ground Beneath Her Feet, Walk On and Kite are great songs that I never get tired of.:drool:

I love the album and get so irritated when people dismiss it all the time - as was said before they act as if it's the cool thing to do. Well, actually, the cool thing to do is listen to the damn thing and appreciate the lyrics and the music.

I adore Stuck in a Moment and it's a shame others don't - it's a heartbreaking song. In a Little While is gorgeous, bluesy and perfect, and Walk On is uplifting.

I'm not gonna say much. Just that I've been following U2 for many years and ATYCLB is my favourite U2 album. It contains by far the best song writing of all of U2's records. Only New York is a little below standards but the rest of the album is an amazing piece of work. It lifted U2 out of the mud they had fallen into after the POP-flop, and only a truely great and beautiful album could have done that.

hedgehog said:
Because of it being over played and over hyped I dont like Beautiful Day as much as I used to (though it is still a good song). :(
That's what happened to Vertigo for me -- I'm trying to get back into it though. :( Playing it twice at concerts doesn't really help.

1 Beautiful day
2 Stuck
3 Elevation
4 Stateless
5 Walk on
6 When I look at the world
7 Wild honey
8 Kite
9 Falling at your feet
10 Flower child
11 In a little while

12 SYCMIOYO (alternative version).

A MASTERPIECE

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Meghan said:

That's what happened to Vertigo for me -- I'm trying to get back into it though. :( Playing it twice at concerts doesn't really help.

Awww. For me Vertigo can never be overplayed. I'd marry it if that sort of thing were legal in my country (hey, maybe it is! *goes to look up obscure marriage laws of Scotland*).

This is a wonderful, wonderful album.
Lyrics are pure poetry, music is tight and soulfull.
A lot of the songs are hidden gems (IALW,NY,Grace, WILATW), they are "white golden pearls stolen from the see" ;)

Its a masterpiece
forget the bashers, they are a minority
I truly believe most U2 fans think this is a great record

ATYCLB is absolutely magnificent

Grace
When I look at the world
Kite
Peace on earth

Beautiful, Beautiful

good comments everybody. glad to see not everybody here "hates" it. :wink:

man, is the starter of this thread a genius and amazing or what? i love his work. oh wait...

its a good album

but i think compared to what U2 had already accomplished its slightly subpar(especially elevation :combust: )

but a subpar u2 album is great album from most other artists so

:up:

Back
Top Bottom