all that you can't leave behind appreciation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
misterboo said:

People think this is a soft-core album. But i think it's harder than people might imagine. The whole thing is a valediction but it's got a great joy in it. The album is uplifting and it came at a time when the only rock music being played was fucking Limp Bizkit and Creed. I remember Bono saying that it was too easy to paint in black when writing music, that joy was a much harder thing to conjure up than despair and depression. So much of this album is about saying goodbye, about losing and being lost, but at the bottom of it all is a tremendous happiness and sense of rejoicing. I think that's the real trick of it and it's so refreshing after album upon album of misery, despair, drugs, sex and death being used to write songs.

Make your judgements if you must.

Well said! :up:

ATYCLB is the album that "saved" me from shitty pop music. I've been into U2 since Pop but around '99 I started getting into dumb boybands and stuff, but then Beautiful Day came out...and I never listened to crappy music ever again! :p

ATYCLB is probably about mid-low on my album rankings, but that is not bad at all. The thing is I love every U2 album so even if it's at the bottom of my list it's still probably better than almost any other album.

New York is so fucking underrated it's not even funny. Live by far it's the best from ATYCLB. Just stunning, it reminds me a lot of Please, the way it freaks out at the end with the extended guitar solo and what not.

The Ground Beneath Her Feet is in my top 5. It is BEAUTIFUL. Especially the end. God I love that song.

Stuck is a good song, the only thing I really hate are those annoying "pop" sounds (and the superfluously long stupid song title :p), the actual song is highly underrated. I think I like the acoustic version best, but the live version is lovely too. The lyrics really speak to me sometimes. ATYCLB is an album that has made me feel better on many occasions, the first half anyway. It gets sorta dark from Peace on Earth on...

Back
Top Bottom