All I Want Is You vs. The Fly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miggy D

War Child
No introduction really needed, since this is now the 4th of the series.

You know the drill: make your decision and say why.

Now...choose!

-Miggy D

All I Want Is You....
It's the song that was playing in my room, when my gf n I got back together after some bad rows. So it became 'our song'
:yuck:
I know!!

That and I have played The Fly to death!:wink:

I agree, so very different. But I'd have to say All I Want. It's a Top 5 for me. I feel like jumping up and down when Edge lets loose on that riff toward the end. Nothing like it.

Miggy D said:
No introduction really needed, since this is now the 4th of the series.

You know the drill: make your decision and say why.

Now...choose!

-Miggy D

I find these "song wars " really lame.
Both of those songs are great and really compliment each other.
Maybe you should try picking 2 songs that are more similar to each other.

Tough one. Two great tracks. But since All I Want Is You has long been one of my favorite songs, I'll have to go with that. Beautiful tune, tremendous emotional buildup. And as great as the studio version is, I love the Irving Plaza and Slane versions even more, with the crowd participation.

(These song wars aren't lame, they're fun!)

How are these comparsions being chosen? How about something comparable like One vs WOWY?

BTW, I would choose The Fly. :)

the songs are way too different and each are beautiful in their own way. But if I had to listen to one song, it would be They Fly. For me, it redifined rock n roll music. It was really dirty, really metallic, sexy vocals in verses and soaring vocals in the choruses. It also gave U2 a real boost to tackle the 1990's.

Also, a great song to "enjoy someone" to...:wink:

tis too hard this one, so good, so different you cant compare them really........... WOWY vs AIWIY is way better comparision

Aardvark747: My boyfriend and I have chosen AIWIU as "our song" too! It's is one of my very favorite U2 songs, probably number 3 or so, so I'd have to say AIWIU, though The Fly totally rocks.

The Fly is my favorite studio U2 song. And one of the best rock songs ever. I love All I Want Is You, but it is nowhere close to The Fly. But a very few songs are for me...

Re: Re: All I Want Is You vs. The Fly

JOFO said:

I find these "song wars " really lame.
Both of those songs are great and really compliment each other.
Maybe you should try picking 2 songs that are more similar to each other.

I'm sorry you find these posts lame. Fortunately, you don't have to post at threads you don't like. If the mere existence of these threads angers you, I can't help you there, but no one's forcing you to read them, let alone post. I don't really see the point of complaining about a thread that's not doing anyone any harm.

Personally, I find deciding between two very different, but equally great songs, requires more consideration and thought. When two songs sound a lot alike, it's almost easier to make the choice because you're, in essence, choosing between two versions of the same song.

When choosing between two great, yet strikingly dissimilar tunes, it requires me to really weigh each song for what it is and decide which one I truly appreciate 'more.'

For instance:

Do I prefer the snarling, funky guitar of The Fly, or am I more partial to the beautiful, chiming guitar of All I Want Is You?

Which vocal delivery to I prefer: Bono's dirty, gravelly Fly voice, or his impassioned, soaring wail?

Which rhythm section am I more fond of?

Then I break it down, and whichever song has the most 'wins' in each category is the one that comes out triumphant. This is much more entertaining, to me, than:

Do I like the chiming guitar of WOWY better than the chiming guitar of AIWIY?

In all sincerity - if people don't like these threads, they shouldn't post here. This forum is a place for fun. I found a topic that's fun for me, and I want to share it with others who share feel the same way. Other 'song war' threads can be started comparing similar songs so people who prefer that method can enjoy themselves as well. We can all co-exist peacefully. :)

-Miggy D

I pick The Fly. I love the lyrics, Edge's guitar playing and how Bono sounds so :censored:ing sexy when he sings it.

I miss The Fly persona. :sad:

Back
Top Bottom