All I Have To Say Is...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't worry about how good the album will be. It's going to blow your mind, even though its current incarnation isn't nearly as good as its final incarnation, though there are already numerous exceptionally written songs to choose from. It will be added to sonically.... Lillywhite will add boom. You haven't heard either incarnation yet, so it's really a moot point. You will hear the final version in due time, and at that time, you will be ever so happy, if not ecstatic, for the delay we are experiencing now. Steve Lillywhite and U2 are about to complete something very special over the next few months, I would suspect.

Michael Griffiths said:
Don't worry about how good the album will be. It's going to blow your mind, even though its current incarnation isn't nearly as good as its final incarnation, though there are already numerous exceptionally written songs to choose from. It will be added to sonically.... Lillywhite will add boom. You haven't heard either incarnation yet, so it's really a moot point. You will hear the final version in due time, and at that time, you will be ever so happy, if not ecstatic, for the delay we are experiencing now. Steve Lillywhite and U2 are about to complete something very special over the next few months, I would suspect.

*goes in a corner and prays this to be true*

um, i dont think he has ever been right

plus, if you expect the album to be mind blowingly amazing, then pretty much all you have room for is to be let down. i was kind of expecting atyclb to be the greatest album ever, then i got it, and it wasn't and i felt a little let down, im not going to make that mistake again.

well, I've reached the point that I can honestly say
that if the album is good, I will like it
and if it's bad, I won't

I think this album will set the tone for U2's future, meaning if this album is mind blowing as M.G. says then we will be looking at a new revitalized U2 that could set the pace for many more albums in the next 10-15 years. But if this album gets lukewarm response from fans and critics then this will be one of their final albums making them more reclusive than they are now and putting out a couple more albums and maybe 2 more world tours including this one. If the former is true then they might be playing well into their 60's. :eek:

They won't play until their 60's, they'll just make their children carry on the band. The only problem is the inevitable alienation of their fans after U2-2 has a decade of hit childrens albums.

Chizip said:
um, i dont think he has ever been right

plus, if you expect the album to be mind blowingly amazing, then pretty much all you have room for is to be let down. i was kind of expecting atyclb to be the greatest album ever, then i got it, and it wasn't and i felt a little let down, im not going to make that mistake again.

yeah, I felt the same way here. and what contributed to that? not hearing the song leaks and reading what everyone on this board was saying:
"incredible"
"some of their best work ever"
"walk on could replace pride"
etc. etc.
and then I bought the cd, brought it home, listened, and said "U2 must have been listening to the goo goo dolls".
because it was such a radical departure from the spirit of experimentation and pushing boundaries like zooropa and pop were.
and up until then, U2 never backed off from experimenting.

so anyway, the new one could very well be the greatest album ever released, and if so, nothing better than that.
if it's just ok, thats fine.
if it sucks.........:sad:

U2's penultimate album will be a worldwide smash, it will reach Achtung Baby heights, but not Joshua Tree heights.

i liked atyclb instantly. and i knew that was the problem.

i hated achtung, zooropa, and pop when i first heard them, but they grew on me, and are my 3 favorite U2 albums.

so i hope i don't like the new album right away.

I don't know what to say or think anymore, with all of these rumors - but the wait is worrying. Either they're having problems with the songs, or they aren't really sure about the album quality - I'm leaning to the latter here. (why all the postponing, and all the different producers?)

I just hope this album doesn't flop - because that could be the start of the end IMO. Realistically, I would be surprised if they matched or surpass ATYCLB's sucess.

Last edited:
It has no choice BUT to be good. I mean, let's face it; all 4 of them know at this point what makes a good album, and what will kill in the charts.

way too much pessimism. u2 take a long time to record albums. 1993-1997. 1997-2000. 2000-2004. it's nothing new.

What also tends to make us impatient is coming to these boards and reading other people's frusteration. When you log onto this site like 3 times a day like myself, you get overloaded thinking and waiting for this new album. If we thought about it a bit less, we wouldn't be so "desperate". Easier said than done though. LOL

"1993-1997, 1997-2000". What about "Passengers"? What about "Million Dollar Hotel"? Not purely U2 albums, but still a LOT of creative activity on their parts, especially Passengers.

Back
Top Bottom