All Critical Reviews of the New album here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This idiot actually brings up "consent" in terms of the iTunes delivery. Apparently what U2 has done is tantamount to rape. :rolleyes:

Yeah. I really don't care to pan reviewers if they don't like things, but man, that had to be one of the toughest "reviews" I've ever read. Not one #hotu2take in there, just lots of #hotdouchetakes.

Jesus what is it with these reviews? They are depressing me now

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yeah -- nobody who is actually reviewing the music cares about the music. They're (most likely) people that made up their minds about Bono being a self-serving asshole and just hate the way that U2 tried to force their music on all of us poor innocent iTunes users.

"U2 Never Gave Their New Album A Chance"

Sadly I agree with the title of that article. They did themselves no favors with this Apple stunt. And coming out rocking with a less than rocking first single talking about Joey Ramone did them no favors either. A better way to go about it would've been leaking "Sleep Like A Baby" or some other less obvious track with no video or gimmicks. It's not perfect pop material but who gives a shit? It would've gotten people talking about the song, not anything else that might distract them from the music.

They did themselves no favors with this Apple stunt.

this may turn out to be true.

And coming out rocking with a less than rocking first single talking about Joey Ramone did them no favors either. A better way to go about it would've been leaking "Sleep Like A Baby" or some other less obvious track with no video or gimmicks. It's not perfect pop material but who gives a shit? It would've gotten people talking about the song, not anything else that might distract them from the music.

no.

Keep saying if it was ANYONE else apart from U2 who done this they would be getting billed as innovators or whatever but now that it's U2 they are going nuts

awful review. this guy was clearly going to trash the record because it said U2 on it regardless of what any of the songs actually were. and two references to tax evasion, really? what the fuck does that have to do with the music?

also, saying not as good as [insert Beyonce song here] for every song isn't clever. it just takes up space in which you could have actually said something that relates to the music.

though i must admit this made me lol

“California (Blah Blah Blah)”: The track sounds like seventeen different bands averaged out in Yelp and turned into an Active Rock Smoothie.

but this made me roll my eyes

Lack of consent is not the future.

seriously? you didn't get raped; U2 gave you a gift. a gift you are free to do whatever you want with, including delete and never listen to, or in your case, write a shitty article complaining that you didn't instantly have the album you didn't want to begin with.

i bet if this article had a score on Metacritic (and wouldn't that truly be meta?!) it would have a lower score than SOI does :D

How well these songs do on the road will change how "history" will view the album - and I am VERY encouraged by that thought because most of these songs just scream to be played live.

There are too many classic albums that initially had mixed reviews to take quick reactions serious.

The sad thing is? People get paid to right that stuff

the Apple stunt (combined with the launch of iPhone 6) didn't sit well with me, even if i like the idea of an instant release that's free.

i can't imagine how it looked to others less predisposed to be sympathetic to U2.

it really would be terrible if they shot themselves in the foot with this.

what i would have done would have been to do another commercial for the iPhone, like in 2004, and then release the album for free on 9/19. i think it's the idea that it just shows up in your iTunes that comes across as creepy.

i'm talking about perception.

I can agree up to a point, but I just don't see what the big deal is. Don't want it? Delete it, or hide it from your cloud. :shrug:

It's not like it's Malware that you can't get rid of.

Keep saying if it was ANYONE else apart from U2 who done this they would be getting billed as innovators or whatever but now that it's U2 they are going nuts

pretty much. if Radiohead had given In Rainbows to every iTunes user, reviewers would be saying how extraordinary it is that people who normally wouldn't listen to Radiohead would get exposed to their genius. but U2 does it and it's rape. :rolleyes:

This is the most snark-dripping awful useless piece of music journalism I have ever read.

SOI is no Joshua Tree, but Jesus Christ this makes me want to go proselytize the world with it. Shout it from the rooftops.

'Also: don't talk about Joey Ramone' is the most presumptuous irascible aside... if any band alive has a right to 'talk about Joey Ramone', it's U2. It's certainly not a jaded New Yorker critic who judges everything by the Beyonce Standard.

The fact that Beyonce was mentioned and that U2 - of all bands - aren't allowed to mention Ramone meant that this guy was a moron.

Hence my earlier comment that music critics are about the most useless things on the planet.

The NME review is pretty embarrassing as well. I don't care if you don't like the record, fine, but this clown is just too pleased with himself and his snark. Lazy, stupid writing. This is what supposedly passes for being clever, hip, and ironic.

And like a rail replacement bus service, the weaker tracks seem to last fucking forever and go absolutely nowhere. 'Volcano' and 'Raised By Wolves' aim for the spectacular widescreen rock U2 are known for but fall flat; the latter dribbles on about blood, crucifixions and death incoherently, despite ostensibly being about a Dublin car bombing. The turgid 'The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)' and 'Sleep Like A Baby Tonight' might have the best intentions but contain nothing notable whatsoever, and the best thing that can be said about 'California (There Is No End To Love)' is that, with its major melodies and simplistic imagery, it isn't as bad as 'This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now', which just stinks.

Read more at NME Reviews - U2 - 'Songs Of Innocence' | NME.COM

'This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now' "just stinks". Real fucking insightful there. "Stinks". What, not sucks? And this guy is paid.

Again, hate on the record all you like...but when you embrace your hate this way you just look like a fool. Some nut just shouting out complaints rather than a serious critic. This crap belongs on a blog, not on a real music site.

Dogs just had a shit in the living room #blameU2

The NME review is pretty embarrassing as well. I don't care if you don't like the record, fine, but this clown is just too pleased with himself and his snark. Lazy, stupid writing. This is what supposedly passes for being clever, hip, and ironic.

Again, hate on the record all you like...but when you embrace your hate this way you just look like a fool. Some nut just shouting out complaints rather than a serious critic. This crap belongs on a blog, not on a real music site.

Says it all when some of the comments on the bottom are calling the review crap and praising the album

This is the most snark-dripping awful useless piece of music journalism I have ever read.

SOI is no Joshua Tree, but Jesus Christ this makes me want to go proselytize the world with it. Shout it from the rooftops.

'Also: don't talk about Joey Ramone' is the most presumptuous irascible aside... if any band alive has a right to 'talk about Joey Ramone', it's U2. It's certainly not a jaded New Yorker critic who judges everything by the Beyonce Standard.

This happens when CNET, GIZMODO, pcmag, the new yorker and other online blogs and magazines hire ''milennials'' and hipsters to post articles and reviews.:down:

So far, this has the lowest metacritic score of any U2 album on the site. Lower than NLOTH. I think NLOTH is a lot better, so it doesn't bother me, but it's always a bit sad to see people shitting on U2, especially since there are a lot of good qualities here.

You sound like you will be made up with this, and it's proving you right somehow?

Not really. I just listen to a ton of music and know what certain publications want out of new music, etc. I have no axe to grind. I just realistically think this will be the worst reviewed album of the last four. Sites like Pitchfork want intriguing new sounds. Regardless of whether or not you like most of their Best New Music selections, there's definitely an undercurrent running through all of them that has a certain spark of freshness/uniqueness. Fans might think this new U2 record is an interesting step for them, but it hardly does anything revelatory in a broader context, nor does it have some jaw dropping, inspiring moments of catharsis like "Beautiful Day" or "City of Blinding Lights" - tracks even Pitchfork has gushed over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom