All Critical Reviews of the New album here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pitchfork is the website equivalent of a hipster - it liked things before you did, and then when you do, it doesn't like them anymore. Fuck pitchfork. Dirty hipster fucktards.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Pitchfork is the website equivalent of a hipster - it liked things before you did, and then when you do, it doesn't like them anymore. Fuck pitchfork. Dirty hipster fucktards.

I used to hate hipsters when it was cool HAAHAHA ha a a

But they have pretty good taste in music. That's what brought me around.

I should have quoted this part too:

So from what you are telling me this could also totally apply to their last record. Doesn't make it a bad one per se but...

Well this shows that what Pitchfork for example, or BigMacPhisto here, can criticize for big bands like U2 won't be a problem for much less successful ones.

But at this point I think bashing U2 is just a commercial posture for many critics: there is just a huge market to please by doing so.

Folk music is judged by a different set of standards than pop/rock. It always sounds something like folk music. The differentiating factor is what the lyricist has to say and, in that case, Sun Kil Moon's album is radically different. It's easily the most stark, personal set of lyrics he's written yet. Hell, it goes further in detail about his life and personal failings than anyone thinks to go.

But you wouldn't know that, as you aren't a regular listener. I suppose most critics wouldn't notice the subtle differences between this and other 00s U2 albums the way a fan would either.

I used to hate hipsters when it was cool HAAHAHA ha a a

But they have pretty good taste in music. That's what brought me around.

So do others though, and you don't have to suffer their incessant garbage, and self-satisfied douchebaggery

Easy there, BigMac. You're not the only one who reads Pitchfork and buys many new albums on a monthly basis. Pitchfork is notoriously elitist as far as their reviews go, but I read practically every one and have found many gems thanks to their focus on indie music. I'm still a huge U2 fan (and Sun Kil Moon!) and take umbrage when all the Pitchfork U2 reviews just have to mention something about U2 not related to their music (usually Bono-hate). It's certainly within their rights to rate an album low based on content, but I hate to see any artist bulldozed by a review based on prior prejudice. I certainly expect more of the same when they review this one. If music's good, it's good. Just review the damn music, you hipster bastards!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using U2 Interference mobile app

I don't know any hipsters but everything I read about them and hear about them, they seem like real douches.

With that said, what did you think of the album?

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Not trying to poke you in the eye or anything, BigMac. I'm glad someone else on here reads Pitchfork and probably buys as much new music as I do. Have to agree with ozeeko above, though. Don't hold your breath on a good review from Pitchfork.

If they were really good records from those acts, they would have scored higher. Instead, they were sub-par later efforts...

They kind of got Morning Phase wrong though, but whatever. Pitchfork has given very good U2 records high scores. This one isn't a very good U2 record though.

Achtung Baby Super Deluxe - 9.5
Unforgettable Fire Deluxe - 9.3
Under A Blood Red Sky reissue - 9.0
Joshua Tree Deluxe - 8.9
War reissue - 8.9
Boy reissue - 8.3
October reissue - 7.1
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb - 6.9
All That You Can't Leave Behind - 5.0
No Line On The Horizon - 4.2

Being their worst record (in my opinion) without any real standout moments and a critical consensus that's weaker than recent U2 releases, you'd almost expect it to score worse than NLOTH. However, Pitchfork rarely gives out scores as low as 4.2 in the first place...

Every single one of those highly rated records was a reissue. Pitchfork would've looked like fucking idiots if they'd given the Achtung Baby reissue anything below a 9. If AB were released today, you can bet your ass they'd tear it apart and give it a 5.3 or something.

Songs of Innocence has been out for ONE day. I envy people who can form such a complete opinion of music so quickly. I'm much slower; I need the music to gestate a little bit longer than ONE FUCKING DAY before lauding it or dismissing it so completely.

Predicting a 3.8 for SOI. It has a lower metacritic score than NLOTH, so it serves to reason that Pitchfork will feel comfortable shitting on it even more so than the last one.

Predicting a 3.8 for SOI. It has a lower metacritic score than NLOTH, so it serves to reason that Pitchfork will feel comfortable shitting on it even more so than the last one.

Maybe they will give it a high score if no one else likes it

But what choice do they have with reviewing those albums when they've all been released way prior to Pitchfork's inception? Of course it's going to be long after the fact. They're also reviewing based on the quality of the reissue, meaning bonus tracks and whatnot.

They obviously don't have a choice. But I'm saying that if U2 released another album in the same arena as AB, JT or even UF, PF would shit on it, maybe give it a so so review. Because that's what's expected from them. My only hope is that U2 gets uncool enough for PF to deem them worthy enough to get a good review

My opinion of SOI on my first preview listen was nothing more than simply lukewarm, even leaning towards the negative. Now it's definitely more positive. I'm a bit concerned by all these reviews coming out so quickly, and I guess I'm not that surprised a lot of them are negative, I just think any reviewer worth anything should give an album a minimum of 2 listens before they review it.

I don't know any hipsters but everything I read about them and hear about them, they seem like real douches.

With that said, what did you think of the album?

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Liking it pretty good after ten or so listens. Really liking the back half. Danger Mouse really shining through there. And does anyone feel like U2 are having fun being delightfully weird again? (i.e the intro to California and the strange noise on Raised by Wolves).

So do others though, and you don't have to suffer their incessant garbage, and self-satisfied douchebaggery

I just like the music. You don't have to become friends with a hipster to listen to The Knife. But honestly I've stopped hating a lot of things, hipsters included. Life's too short. Who cares.

I'd say Spoon's album was less daring than U2's since it's more like what they've done before. But it's a better album because they're clearly still on top of their game in terms of songwriting/hooks. To argue that for U2 based on SOI would be laughable, but I'll certainly want to read such an opinion...

The funny thing about SO many U2 songs is that I wouldn't think they'd be hits. It's almost like U2 succeeded in spite of their writing styles.

For example, WOWY has no refrain, yet is a huge hit. ISHFWILF not only has a long title, but it's a song about faith (or faith lost) and upon first listen, I never would have predicted it to hit #1 in the U.S. (at best, I might have said Top 40). While Desire and Mysterious Ways leapt out as catchy tunes, the subject matter was also challenging (lust, drugs, spirtuality). Granted, I'm abnormal here, but when I first heard "One", I hated it and skipped over the track for the longest time (it eventually wore me down - the live performances helped).

Then we go to songs like TUF, One Tree Hill, When Love Comes..., Who's Gonna Ride..., Numb, Lemon, If God Will Send..., Stuck..., Sometimes..., etc. and most were hits (at some level), even reaching #1 in some countries. But when I heard these songs, none leap out as single material.

So U2 may find success with some of these SoI songs that do not sound like singles. U2 may have had more success with Pop and NLOTH tracks too, had they release different first singles. The poor first single choice ruined it for both the album and subsequent singles. I think the right song was chosen this time and if U2 follow it with EBW, then I feel SoI will be viewed as a success.

I just like the music. You don't have to become friends with a hipster to listen to The Knife. But honestly I've stopped hating a lot of things, hipsters included. Life's too short. Who cares.

I can get in board with that. And I haven't even thought about pitchfork in about 3 years. Doesn't change the fact that when it comes up in conversation I won't give my opinion on it.

They obviously don't have a choice. But I'm saying that if U2 released another album in the same arena as AB, JT or even UF, PF would shit on it, maybe give it a so so review. Because that's what's expected from them. My only hope is that U2 gets uncool enough for PF to deem them worthy enough to get a good review

Even I, a longtime fan, wouldn't give this new album a glowing review. I don't think U2 have delivered anything approaching a masterpiece since Zooropa.

Songs of Innocence has been out for ONE day. I envy people who can form such a complete opinion of music so quickly. I'm much slower; I need the music to gestate a little bit longer than ONE FUCKING DAY before lauding it or dismissing it so completely.

That would change the review industry and you can see how a trap it is. This is true for reviewing books, and movies as well. People want to write what they need to when art is released to the public but there has to be another review as time passes. I remember Roger Ebert sometimes doing this for example: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. His original rating was 3 stars and then he had to bump it up to 4 stars because of how iconic it was decades later. I can't blame him since it's hard to predict.

It would be nice to find reviewers regularly re-reviewing albums if they found they've changed their minds and then leaving the original reviews alone if they feel the same.

These reviews are one person's opinion. I don't think it should be taken as everyone's opinion. It's weird that music lovers should rely on what one person's thoughts are on something as being important at all.

It's weird to me that when people don't agree with you, the response is to call en entire huge massive varied subculture a bunch of douchebags because a major entity that somehow represents an entire massive varied subculture might not like the same thing as you.

That would change the review industry and you can see how a trap it is. This is true for reviewing books, and movies as well. People want to write what they need to when art is released to the public but there has to be another review as time passes. I remember Roger Ebert sometimes doing this for example: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. His original rating was 3 stars and then he had to bump it up to 4 stars because of how iconic it was decades later. I can't blame him since it's hard to predict.

It would be nice to find reviewers regularly re-reviewing albums if they found they've changed their minds and then leaving the original reviews alone if they feel the same.

I know, I get why professional reviewers do, or need to do, it. I was talking about the people here, and the fans in general.

I usually like his production, but he decided to abandon anything sounding remotely like music on Yeezus.

I 99.99999 percent of the time put the art before the artist, but he is that one minuscule percentage that just turns me off from the get-go. I can't stand his personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom