All Albums Being Re-Released Nov 14th?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Partyslammer

War Child
Check this out:

http://tinyurl.com/ooguy

It looks like all of U2's albums are being re-released in Japan on 11/14/06, no doubt to coincide with the upcoming shows there. I wonder if they'll be paper sleaved "mini albums" like what's been done for many other bands' cd releases in Japan? I'd strongly doubt they're remastered though.

T.B.

This seems to be quite a random move, maybe due to coincide with the upcoming dates?

The labels in Japan are always re-issuing releases. Sometimes remastered, sometimes in the Japanese Mini LP sleeves. I do see them tentatively scheduled for mid-November. Some may even have a bonus track, but I don't see any track listings or further details yet...

I hope this is a global release date. I want u2 to get a UK number 1 with this album, which they wont if its gonna be released on the 20th.

Lila64 said:
The labels in Japan are always re-issuing releases. Sometimes remastered, sometimes in the Japanese Mini LP sleeves. I do see them tentatively scheduled for mid-November. Some may even have a bonus track, but I don't see any track listings or further details yet...

Lila! Who knew you were such a wiz on Japan musical culture! :nerd: :wink:

Thought this bit on that website was interesting:

Classic Albums Series - U2: The Joshua Tree(1999)---SALE---RED Distribution

I wonder if that "RED" is the RED, and if so, why is only that single video (an old one at that) associated with it? :scratch:

I found this at Musictap.net:

It looks as if U2 will be releasing a new "definitive" 'best of' collection that will feature 2 new songs including a new song cut with Green Day. There is no word on what tracks will be the 16 included nor what the compile will be called. It is slated for release on November 21 for the US and November 20 for Europe. A trip to CDUniverse will unveil a tasty secret in that the entire catalogue for U2 is being re-released onin November 14, with Rattle and Hum arriving on October 10. I have no idea what these are but they should be interesting to find out. If anyone knows... Oh, I forgot to mention that there will be a Deluxe Edition of the CD available on the same date.

EVERYTHING being re-released???

I HOPE so!! I still haven't found the Best Of 1980-90 2disc version here, so it'd be great if that one is coming back :D

I hope they'll release their catalog like Bruce Springsteen did with Born To Run :drool: :drool: Digitally remastered with loads of Bonus Tracks, demos, outtakes, etc and a Bonus DVD with documentary and concert :bow: :rockon:

If U2 did something like that, the first album I'd buy is Pop :drool: second The Unforgettable Fire and third The Joshua Tree

and you? ;)

The compilation is going to be called U2 18. I don't know if you all knew that, but I just thought I'd say something. :whistle:

Utoo said:

Lila! Who knew you were such a wiz on Japan musical culture! :nerd: :wink:

Thought this bit on that website was interesting:

I wonder if that "RED" is the RED, and if so, why is only that single video (an old one at that) associated with it? :scratch:

:kiss:

And that's RED Distribution. It's a distributor and has nothing to do with RED the campaign :nerd:

Utoo said:

Classic Albums Series - U2: The Joshua Tree(1999)---SALE---RED Distribution

this is the actual description I received for this DVD:

The story of the making of The Joshua Tree is told here, via interview and archive film footage, with contributions from band members Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen. U2's long-time manager Paul McGuinness reveals how the album catapulted the band into the category of rock superstars, and there are contributions from Elvis Costello in the role of a major U2 fan, re-mix producer Steve Lillywhite, and of course co-producers Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois. Packed with reminiscences and powerful performances, this is the story of one of the most famous and best records of the Eighties, a true Classic

Reggie Thee Dog said:
I'd buy Boy, October, War....and then UABRS, UF, JT and R&H....
then AB and Zooropa, Pop....then ATYCLB and HTDAAB. After that I don't know...:wink:

I'd do the entire catalog. This is exciting news. Even if it's a rumor.

MrBrau1 said:

Jeez BlueRoom,

The threads are bad enough.

Defending them is worse.

I'd expect better from you.

My goal is to disappoint. So SUCCESS!!

Hey, I have defended this band to the hilt before on many topics and have been accused of being sheep for it. But I dont agree with every single thing they do. I dont care for this greatest hits move. I think they could have come up with something better to release, a different kind of compilation. I think U2 are opening themselves up for criticism by releasing another greatest hits already.

Lila64 said:

this is the actual description I received for this DVD:

The story of the making of The Joshua Tree is told here, via interview and archive film footage, with contributions from band members Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen. U2's long-time manager Paul McGuinness reveals how the album catapulted the band into the category of rock superstars, and there are contributions from Elvis Costello in the role of a major U2 fan, re-mix producer Steve Lillywhite, and of course co-producers Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois. Packed with reminiscences and powerful performances, this is the story of one of the most famous and best records of the Eighties, a true Classic

Yeah, it's definitely a cool dvd. You get to hear from the horse's mouth about how Eno almost threw out the tapes of Streets because they were having such a hard time putting it together! I don't know if it's worth owning, but it's definitely one worth watching. :yes:

Reggie Thee Dog said:
I found this at Musictap.net:

It looks as if U2 will be releasing a new "definitive" 'best of' collection that will feature 2 new songs including a new song cut with Green Day. There is no word on what tracks will be the 16 included nor what the compile will be called. It is slated for release on November 21 for the US and November 20 for Europe. A trip to CDUniverse will unveil a tasty secret in that the entire catalogue for U2 is being re-released onin November 14, with Rattle and Hum arriving on October 10. I have no idea what these are but they should be interesting to find out. If anyone knows... Oh, I forgot to mention that there will be a Deluxe Edition of the CD available on the same date.

I noticed no one has addressed this comment so I will.

The guy at Musictap doesn't really have his facst straight. The upcoming release of "Rattle and Hum" is the release Bluray HiDef dvd of the movie which aside from having much better audio and video quality due to the format will unfortuanetly not have any additional content compared to previous home video versions of the movie - it'll just look and sound better. Of course you need the new format HiDef player to watch the movie.....

The upcoming "new" releases of the entire back catalog is happening only in Japan and there is no remastering or upgrading of any kind. It'll basically be the same old releases with new obi 's (advertising strips) on the jewel cases to take advantage of the publicity of the upcoming Japan dates, U2's first in that country since the '98 Popmart tour.

I was kind of hoping at least there was a chance the cds would be the paper sleeve mini album reproductions that are popular in Japan but from what an inport distributor has told me, it appears they aren't even that.

T.B.

Utoo said:

Yeah, it's definitely a cool dvd. You get to hear from the horse's mouth about how Eno almost threw out the tapes of Streets because they were having such a hard time putting it together! I don't know if it's worth owning, but it's definitely one worth watching. :yes:

I saw the DVD item on amazon - where did you watch it?

Amazon also has listings for those new album releases as imports.

ntalwar said:

It's been out for several years now. This release is simply a repackaging of the original program.

If you don't have it, I highly recommend it as it has a *lot* of in studio interview footage of Bono and The Edge from around the Pop tour talking about the individual songs with The Edge playing some parts like the solo of "With Or Without You" for the interviewer to show how really simple yet direct it actually is. My favorite part is when they're talking about mixing "Streets" and they play back the original multi0track tape of the song and they show just how many different and un-noticed guitar dubs on just that one track there are. There's alos footage of "Mothers of the Disappeared" from one of the last Pop shows as well.

T.B.

ntalwar said:

Yeah, as Partyslammer said, it's been out for a while----I believe it came out in 1999 or 2000. My uber-fan friend showed it to me around the time that I was making the leap to uber-fan. That one you've pictured appears to be a new, repackaged version; the original had a purple cover. This one is much cooler! I believe the dvd is part of a series chronicling the making of "Classic Albums" by various artists.

That DVD is called Classic Albums: The Joshua Tree. If you have watched Classic Albums: The Dark Side Of The Moon, it's pretty similar. About an hour of retrospective focused on creative process and recording of the album. All the band members appear, plus Daniel Lanois and many other U2 related.

It was filmed around late 1998 or early 1999 (look Bono hair longer than Popmart Tour ;) ) and it's quite interesting. The most enthusiastic member is The Edge, who teach several tricks of his guitars, also he tells the infamous WTSHNN "Lost Tape" demo he recorded at his house ... with drums included ! :lmao: (you can notice why Larry is the drummer)

Some tracks are presented as early mixes, and sometimes you can hear just certain instruments for a song. For example, it's a pretty nice thing to discover the mix of I Still Haven't Found.
There're live shoots from different Tours (that's something quite dissapointing, unlike Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon, the songs are presented in different live eras) while they should have presented footage from Joshua Tree and previous tours instead of Zoo TV Sydney, Popmart Buenos Aires, etc :( but at least you can watch a little of an unknown tape among bootleg collectors from the first leg of Joshua Tree Tour (most of bootlegs are from second and third legs)

Otherwise it's a pretty nice addition, but you should be noticed that sadly some songs weren't included like One Tree Hill (sorry Axver :shh: ), Red Hill Minning Town and Trip Through Your Wires.

One of the most poingnant moments (at least for me) is when Bono talks about Mothers Of The Disappeared and Pinochet Dictatorship in Chile

:wave:

Back
Top Bottom