Album queries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
What is the official number of albums that U2 have released? And does anyone know where I can find a list of all the singles U2 ever released and where they peaked? Where can I find statistics on U2?

I know u2wanderer.org has the singles listed, for charts try Peeling off the dollar bills forum.

AFAIK U2 has eleven albums: Boy, October, War, UF, JT, Rattle, AB, Zooropa, Pop, ATYCLB and Bomb.

The Wanderer sight already listed will answer you're last few questions. But you're first one is always a matter of great debate.

Obviously you have the 10 purely studio albums U2 has released. Boy, October, War, The Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Pop, All That You Can't Leave Behind & How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. Also Rattle & Hum is quite obviously an album. Thus making it definatley at least 11.

Then we get into the matters of contention. Firstly Under A Blood Red Sky. The live collection was marketed as a "mini-LP" which therefore would make it a mini-album. Most people would probably count this U2 release as an album I would dare suggest - probably because it was responsible for quite a bit of popularity they got at the time.

Wide Awake in America is next. That was marketed as an EP and has 4 tracks... thus obviously wasn't an album. But some people count it. These people are generally laughed and pointed at daily.

Passangers probably gets the most debate. I think there is an excellent case to be made on either side of this one although one slightly more compelling. Firstly the fact that the 4 members of U2 played & presented a complete album of new material performed generally by them (with one or two others - not unlike Zooropa or R&H). It was also produced by the producer of they're previous albums. Also one would argue U2 validated Passangers by having Miss Sarajevo on Best Of 1990-2000.

The other hand says, U2 didn't treat like they have every other album (i.e Promo Tour, then large scale World Tour). Also and probably the most compelling bit of evidence, the fact it wasn't released under the U2 name. I know it sounds stupid - but people still try to disregard this.

I personally think that U2 have released 12 albums. With Passangers being as much a U2 album as The Captive soundtrack. But each to there own.

timothius said:
Passangers probably gets the most debate. I think there is an excellent case to be made on either side of this one although one slightly more compelling. Firstly the fact that the 4 members of U2 played & presented a complete album of new material performed generally by them (with one or two others - not unlike Zooropa or R&H). It was also produced by the producer of they're previous albums. Also one would argue U2 validated Passangers by having Miss Sarajevo on Best Of 1990-2000.
They also included it in The Complete U2, which they didn't do for, say, Captive. People just get hung up on the name. It's a U2 album, only they brought some extra friends along.

Back
Top Bottom