Album cover theories and Observations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

intedomine

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Just something I noticed on the 1990's U2 album covers.

Take a look at AB, Zooropa and PoP.

All have squares on the cover yet they decrease in number everytime. With Zooropa the 9 squares are harder to see as they are overlapped by all that purple stuff.

AB= 16 squares / 4x4

Zooropa= 9 squares / 3x3

PoP= 4 squares / 2x2

Anyone think this was coincidental or delibrate?
Have I made a startling discovery or am I stating the bleeding obvious that everyone has recognised already.

Also....

Take a look at the Baby illustration by Charlie Whisker that appears at first on the AB CD label and later, more significantly, on the Zooropa album cover.

Compare the baby's facial expression with the photo of Radar from the WAR cover of 1983.

The lip of both the baby and Radar are closed in almost identical fashion, and more significantly, whilst Radar sports a scar on the right side of his lip, the zooropa baby sports a line(or what could be a scar) in the same position.

Are these similarities coincidental or once again, delibrate?

Is the Zooropa Baby a representation of a child of the future, whilst Radar represents the past. The idea of uncertainty and the future are dealt with as a theme of Zooropa.

Who knows?

Maybe I'm trying to extract to much meaning from the album covers.

Last edited:
The part I noticed is that the cover of Zooropa featured song titles of future U2 songs that haven't been released at that time yet.

Cheers,

J

I think the songs on the Zooropa cover were...

The Wanderer - On the Album
HMTMKMKM - which was never finished and of course went on Batman Forever
Last Night on Earth - Went to Pop
If You Wear That Velvet Dress - ^^^^

I wouldn't be surprised U2 were in music as an Art, the covers are an extension of the art............

I noticed the things with the squares, but not the other deal. I also found it interesting that HTDAAB has the same size photo on the cover as the two "Best Of" albums. Plus, they went from color covers in the 90s to black and white with the last two, like they did during most of the 1980s.

Also, The Unforgettable Fire and The Joshua Tree are black and white photos with colored tops and bottoms. I know it's odd to post it, but it is true. A trend. I think U2 takes hours to decided on album covers.... Now, if there is a best of U2 2000-2010, what color will it be and what will the center picture be?

SMB

Back
Top Bottom