Album Cover Interpretation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Moshepop said:

It is irrelevant what we think of Coldplay, what matters is what their numerous following thinks of them, and how they view them. Coldplay is not copying U2. Coldplay is the only band brave enough to have the balls to assume the responsibility that U2 assumed after The Beatles. The only band brave enough to incorporate U2's unavoidable influence without being destroyed while doing so. Don't you realize that the same thing has been said about U2 when comparing them to The Beatles....

First of all, I like Coldplay (most of their music, at least). This is just what I perceive: U2 and the Beatles went to the top and created a legacy for themselves; but both bands did it in their own way. It would appear that Coldplay is -not copying- but following some similar methods to the U2-success model. The biggest recent example being Brian Eno producing their fourth album. I don't want to see Coldplay fail, I just would rather see them gain momentum in their own way. As far as having the balls to assume the responsibility? That one puzzles me, because U2 still has that responsibility...there is none to pass on until they're finished.

You're right though, Coldplay is at a real "make or break" moment in their career. But to say they are in place to do what U2 or the Beatles have done, at this point seems way too hasty. I think the proof is in the music and at least for my part, Coldplay doesn't have one song that compares to the grandness or innovation of either of the two other bands.

I realize most of this is just speaking for myself, but I'm mainly just angry every time one of my friends or just some random person compares Coldplay to U2. Neither band sounds alike. Martin isn't half the vocalist Bono is. Their songwriting style is fairly different. And to my original point, I really don't think Coldplay is in a position to create the same kind of legacy U2 did (and still is).

It was just that when I saw the original post on this thread, I immediately thought "Wow, one of those album covers really doesn't belong"

Rich79 said:

It would appear that Coldplay is -not copying- but following some similar methods to the U2-success model. The biggest recent example being Brian Eno producing their fourth album. I don't want to see Coldplay fail, I just would rather see them gain momentum in their own way.

Following is not copying, as you said. It is impossible to be an artist and not to follow a previous one. Anyway i think what matters is what their fans think of them. I personally think that their music is genuine, and stands in its own right.

As far as having the balls to assume the responsibility? That one puzzles me, because U2 still has that responsibility...there is none to pass on until they're finished.

That's right i mean, to immplie that U2 is about to accomplish what they had too accomplish already, puts me in a tough spot, but at the same time, things do have an ending.

You're right though, Coldplay is at a real "make or break" moment in their career. But to say they are in place to do what U2 or the Beatles have done, at this point seems way too hasty. I think the proof is in the music and at least for my part, Coldplay doesn't have one song that compares to the grandness or innovation of either of the two other bands.

I realize most of this is just speaking for myself, but I'm mainly just angry every time one of my friends or just some random person compares Coldplay to U2. Neither band sounds alike. Martin isn't half the vocalist Bono is. Their songwriting style is fairly different. And to my original point, I really don't think Coldplay is in a position to create the same kind of legacy U2 did (and still is).

It was just that when I saw the original post on this thread, I immediately thought "Wow, one of those album covers really doesn't belong"

Haven't you encountered those Beatle fans that completly deny U2's talent and see them as a bunch of untalented-copying band. They exist by the load, starting with George Harrison who apparently thought in those terms of U2. That doesn't take away anything away from U2, and the same could be said of the U2-Coldplay relation.

Moshepop, someone needs to point out that your theories are senseless and absurd (might as well be me).

First of all, there was no need to even post the pictures of the album covers, since they're irrelevant to your point. You could have just mentioned the names of them.

Second, your "argument" is absurd. It may amaze you that more bands in rock history than U2 and Coldplay have sat around and said, "Let's be bigger than the Beatles, dude!" Simply having this ambition doesn't mean you will achieve it. There are a million factors that determine which major-label bands become hugely popular (ie. lucrative) and which don't, few of which have to do with any universal "greatness" that is observable, let alone in existence.

Further, your thesis that The Beatles, U2, and Coldplay have anything in common whatsoever is full of holes, as is your assumption that Coldplay are "the band" of their era.

In short, stop wasting our time. Isn't there a place on 'interference' to post your diatribes and essays? (Then we at least know what level of pretension to expect before we click open the post.)

I agree with 65980, and besides, sometimes you can compare The Beatles to U2 becasue of the innovation in music, and of course the fame that comes after that, but....why the heck people say Coldplay has innovation? I like that band, but they don't sound as nothing new I have ever heard...

65980 said:
Moshepop, someone needs to point out that your theories are senseless and absurd (might as well be me).

First of all, there was no need to even post the pictures of the album covers, since they're irrelevant to your point. You could have just mentioned the names of them.

Second, your "argument" is absurd. It may amaze you that more bands in rock history than U2 and Coldplay have sat around and said, "Let's be bigger than the Beatles, dude!" Simply having this ambition doesn't mean you will achieve it. There are a million factors that determine which major-label bands become hugely popular (ie. lucrative) and which don't, few of which have to do with any universal "greatness" that is observable, let alone in existence.

Further, your thesis that The Beatles, U2, and Coldplay have anything in common whatsoever is full of holes, as is your assumption that Coldplay are "the band" of their era.

In short, stop wasting our time. Isn't there a place on 'interference' to post your diatribes and essays? (Then we at least know what level of pretension to expect before we click open the post.)

Simultaneusly as I posted this thread in Intereference, I did the same thing in Coldplaying (Interference's homologous in the Coldplay World). So as as this thread was going on, a similar was happening in Coldplaying. Actually there were 2 in Colplaying. As my response to you, I would like to direct you to those threads, and I really hope that at least after your bashing at me, you take the time to go and read them, perhaps you will get a different perspective.

The first one, titled "Beatles, U2, Coldplay?" (notice the interrogation sign in the title, as when you ASK, not as when you impose, as you seem to be thinking that i do), it was me posting there the Interview that Interference did to me, to see what reaction I could get. Read all the responses, but the one that I use as my response to you is the one written by Tnspieler1012, a 17 year old kid. http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42913

The Second one is the one that mirrors this thread (Album Cover Interpretation):
http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42935
There you will see some very interesting interpretations of the graphic part of the sleeves, not only of the titles.

Best, and please do take the time to read them,

Moises

By Tnspieler1012 from the Forum at www.Coldplaying.com:

Well the roots of rockn'roll are debatable. I say it, of course, started with elvis but the heavy push came from the beatles alone. As far as their predecessors one could make a case for the rolling stones and such but based on the writer's outlook and/or definition of "rock'n roll" u2 is the most successful and fitting predecessor.
As for coldplay, it does seem like a stretch, but u2 reaching their twilight, it's about time that the flag gets handed off and I can't come up with any other candidate but coldplay to carry it. As he said, coldplay has produced astounding music in a very short time. Surely boy and october didn't shoot off to such enormous success and record sales as did parachutes and AROBTTH. and with X&Y breaking charts and with coldplay winning grammy's and brits regularly for every new album or single they release, they surely have potential to one day join the ranks of u2.
Furthermore, Coldplay is made of smart, charitable people and artistically sound artists. the maketradefair campaign signifies that they do give a damn about the world and, while martin isn't yet of "bono" stature, they intend on trying to change the world through music. a key element of rockn'roll.
Some argue that coldplay is too soft musically, but coldplay fans know, by dint of the AROBTTH tour and tracks like politik, GPASUYF, one I love etc. they can and do ROCK OUT(for more see jonny's jazz).
Last but not least they lack no creativity or drive to keep going as long as u2. They are not stuck in a rut and know how to evolve effectively from album to album with new influences being drawn from resulting in fresher tunes. We've heard from every prospekt entry to the constant stream of inspiration to martin's head, with multiple songs being written each day.

Simply put, not many bands have what coldpay has, very rarely do you get a lot of talented, driven individuals who A. care about the world and B. strives to become the greatest band in the world while possessing the minds and the potential to do it.
It's tingling to think about it as it's easy to feel that the next album will never be as good as the last. After spending years listening and awing over their last couple albums it feels as if this band cannot possibly improve on that, that the best is over and the next will be a let down. But llooking back, as great as parachutes, AROBTTH, and X&Y were, there were always dissatisfactions. X&Y was wrapped up in a few panicked months, imagine how much better it couldn've been had they had more time.
And now we here that the band has never been comfortable, that chris has never been more prolific, that jonny's guitar has never been better and that this will be an album by a band that's pushed the bar, reached a new height and is exceeding everything they've ever done before. as prospekt said "This is the album I've always wanted them to make"
So lets stop doubting, hold our breath for another month and maybe by then we won't be listening to the "enh, okay." album we've dreaded in our minds, but instead the transcendant "better than anything I've ever heard before" album that will engrave their name deeper into rockn'roll history and push them one step closer to becoming the next u2. The band seems awfully optimistic about it. shouldn't we be? I'm 17 right now, one day I might look back on "42" in the top 100 list of rolling stones "greatest albums of all time". who knows. I don't.

I just want to say that some of you are being pretty rude to Moshepop, and that's not cool. I think that everybody here should be mature enough to debate things a little nicer.

Bonochick said:
I just want to say that some of you are being pretty rude to Moshepop, and that's not cool. I think that everybody here should be mature enough to debate things a little nicer.

Thanks Bonochick, I understand that people don't agree with me, but at least I am creating something, I am putting myself out there, and being honest with who I am. A lot of the members that bash me so much, do nothing but being cynic, not only with me, but in most of their posts.

The Sad Punk said:
But Coldplay is silly! It is silly to like Coldplay!

AHAHAHAHA!
Thats the best way I think ANYONE has ever put it.
Poor Coldplay...they aim so high...never quite reach it

i think the reaction to this has been a BIT unfair...but I remember reading about this YONKS ago from that interview then you mentioned the whole 3rd album thing and I thought 'oh god it's him' :wink: good theory though, we'll just see what happens I guess.

But know this Moshe, much as I love Coldplay...if they have also adopted U2's penchant for raving about new directions, amazing sounds and flaming guitars (brian eno or not) on top of lifting various elements of their music and put out X&Y-2 then we're all fucked and you shall be burnt at the stake.

Back
Top Bottom