Album cover - Fanning - SoE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maassie

The Fly
The album cover of Songs of Innocence puts quite a emphasis on 'LP', in fact the image IS of an LP record, and even then with marker there is written LP with a circle around it.

With Dave Fanning thinking that Songs Of Innocence is the first in a three-part series of albums in which they explore the 70s, 80s and 90s, I would say the album cover nicely underlines it.

But that could also imply that the next album will have a CD as a cover, and perhaps the third will be something like a 'digital download' perhaps?

The Fanning theory on three albums will sound more plausible when he stops being the only one touting it.

The album cover of Songs of Innocence puts quite a emphasis on 'LP', in fact the image IS of an LP record, and even then with marker there is written LP with a circle around it.

With Dave Fanning thinking that Songs Of Innocence is the first in a three-part series of albums in which they explore the 70s, 80s and 90s, I would say the album cover nicely underlines it.

But that could also imply that the next album will have a CD as a cover, and perhaps the third will be something like a 'digital download' perhaps?

that would have to be a tape for the 80's and a CD for the 90's, I think :hmm:

I interpreted the album cover to be a minimalist representation of innocence. White, plain, simple. Free of corruption and grandeur.

And that SOE may be flashier, colorful, and who knows....maybe that dance record they've been chirping about.

With the date of 9/9/14 on the cover, I am assuming this cover is just for the Apple release, and we will see another cover for the retail version of the album.

The Fanning theory on three albums will sound more plausible when he stops being the only one touting it.

When I first heard the title it popped into my head that it would be a trilogy - Innocence, Experience, and Ascent...then I realized that it was insane, SOA is dead. But I believed that Experience would follow, and it most likely will. I'm really excited to hear how it sounds.

With the date of 9/9/14 on the cover, I am assuming this cover is just for the Apple release, and we will see another cover for the retail version of the album.

This! Tim Cook even referenced it being a white label release. I expect the official release to have different cover art.

I think the physical release will 100% have different artwork - the note about the date is important but also remember the variations in artwork for most of the deluxe editions they've had. The question is how different will it be. I don't mind the current art but I do think it would look silly on a CD or vinyl. If it's different I'd bet it's still minimalist.

I think the physical release will 100% have different artwork - the note about the date is important but also remember the variations in artwork for most of the deluxe editions they've had. The question is how different will it be. I don't mind the current art but I do think it would look silly on a CD or vinyl. If it's different I'd bet it's still minimalist.

Why would it look silly on vinyl?

You know what the cover is, right?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Maybe so, but I like the album art on this one. It's not pretentious, it's out of the way, but still says something.

Why would it look silly on vinyl?

You know what the cover is, right?

Obviously, but it's not like they're going to release the vinyl like that - just the sleeve and the record. Call me crazy but I think if it's just that image printed onto the cardboard it will look kind of dumb.

Obviously, but it's not like they're going to release the vinyl like that - just the sleeve and the record. Call me crazy but I think if it's just that image printed onto the cardboard it will look kind of dumb.

Yeah it will probably be just a simple white cover with typewriter title, and the inside will look like this. But I'm sure the CD will be this.

It may work for an MP3, but the vinyl would look pretty crap with this cover.

FOuaRxw.png

U2 are constantly punk'n their fans :wink:

first they make us wait 4 years between albums, then release GOYB as the lead single to NLOTH. Then they make us wear those stupid masks at 360. Now they make us wait 5+ years for a GREAT album, only to deal with piles of negativity from hipsters over the release, and now this. We gonna get poo poohed on now :applaud:

I dont really care, release it, dont release it (the cover) it saul good man. :angry:

Back
Top Bottom