Album cinque - The Joshua Tree. My review.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
G’day everyone! I went out and bought The Joshua Tree yesterday. It takes my collection to four studio albums, one best of and a DVD. The first thing that hit me about this album was that it wasn’t that good I thought it would be. But then I remembered I was reviewing it as if Streets, ISHFWILF and WOWY did not exist. Now I wished that instead of getting the 80/90 best of a few months ago I got TJT instead because I’m used to those three tracks now. I believe this album would sound so much better if Streets, ISHFWILF and WOWY were not the openers. Leave Streets there, but move the other two. Because I keep forgetting that they’re a part of the album. But on to the review now.

Where The Streets Have No Name – 5/5
I heard this first on the 80/90 best of and first thought, what’s fuss about this? But then I listened to it a second time and it was amazing. It’s been my second favourite song since.

I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For – 4/5
I heard this first on the 80/90 best of as well, and have always liked it, especially the chorus. I love the title line. I think this song is underrated.

With or Without You – 4/5
Also heard this first on the 80/90 best of and I always thought it was a bit lacking in lyrics, because most of it (apart from the start) is just the title line. But it’s got a lot of emotion, and I really enjoy it.

Bullet the Blue Sky – 3/5
Hated it at first listen, liked it better second listen. It’s a pretty good song actually, right up until the “A man’s face is red” verse. That wrecks it. It was alright live, too.

Running To Stand Still – 4/5
I’ve always liked track 5 of every album I’ve bought – COBL, Kite, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Wild Horses. This one takes a while to get exciting, but I really enjoy listening to it. The verses are really good, and I like the finish, too.

Red Hill Mining Town – 3.5/5
It’s a bit like So Cruel – for the fact that it takes ages to get to the end. There is a lot of lyrics. It’s also one of the few songs where I enjoy the verses more than the chorus. Still sounds really good, though.

In God’s Country – 3.5/5
The first guitar piece is pretty good, and I really like the verses. The lyrics are well written. The song at 2:57 is far too short in my opinion.

Trip Through Your Wires – 3/5
This one was tough to get my head round. It doesn’t really match the rest of the album. I’d have to say it’s one of the worse songs on the album. It’s a bit too Poppy in my opinion. But it’s okay to listen to.

One Tree Hill – 3.5/5
I know Axver likes this song, but I can’t say I liked it straight away. The chorus is really good, and it’s enjoyable to listen to with its soothing back beats but it didn’t really catch my attention.

Exit – 3.5/5
This song’s a weird one. It would sound a lot better if first 30 seconds or so was on One Tree Hill not this. It’s not the right mood. The actual song in itself is really good, I love how it gets heavier and heavier as the verses are sung, but there’s too much instrumental.

Mothers of The Disappeared – 3/5
Like Exit, there’s too much instrumental. It would have been a lot better if it was shorter. The gaps between the verses are too long. I love the ‘we can hear their heartbeat’ lines throughout the sing. The lyrics very interesting.

All in all, after three listens, I’d give this album a 4/5. As I mentioned above, it would sound so much better if Streets, ISHFWILF and WOWY had been mixed around or if I had of just gotten TJT instead of the 80/90 best of all those months ago.

It’s weird, for the arguments I made against Achtung Baby, so far I prefer AB to TJT. I need to give it time, I know. I never thought Achtung Baby would come close to being a favourite album of mine, but now I’ve bought the other U2 ‘classic’ I have something to compare it. I like it more than I realize.

Three questions – what are the favoured songs in the opinion of this forum (apart from the first three)? Am I the only one who doesn’t really like Bullet The Blue Sky or Trip Through Your Wires? Do people agree with my reviews of Exit and Mothers of The Disappeared?

Edit – I don’t think this review will cause as much of a stir as my last one did. :wink:

Is everyone else's copy of this album a bit dodgy? My back cover is just white, with a picture of a grey tree in the background, and the songs. The CD has all the names on it too and it looks poorly produced. Is there a part of One Tree Hill on Exit for everyone else as well?

I paid $26 for it. I'm gonna be pissed off if I have a bodged version.

COBL_04 said:
Is everyone else's copy of this album a bit dodgy? My back cover is just white, with a picture of a grey tree in the background, and the songs. The CD has all the names on it too and it looks poorly produced. Is there a part of One Tree Hill on Exit for everyone else as well?

I paid $26 for it. I'm gonna be pissed off if I have a bodged version.
Believe it or not, albums were once primarily released on big 12" vinyl records and CDs were the second-class citizens of the audio media world. All of U2's CDs up until Rattle and Hum are similarly generic because they weren't specifically designed for that medium.

Europe got a prettier Joshua Tree reissue around 2000, though. Dig this back cover.

And yeah, a lot of copies have the last part of "One Tree Hill" indexed at the beginning of "Exit."

Most people here also dislike "Trip Through Your Wires." In fact, probably most of them. I think it's great fun, though. Lots of people dislike the studio version of "Bullet" too, but I like it too.

My favorite three are probably "In God's Country," "One Tree Hill," and "Mothers of the Disappeared" (which I wouldn't shorten a second, although I agree that the album version of "Exit" short of meanders; it was much more interesting live).

Last edited:
Re: Re: Album cinque - The Joshua Tree. My review.

typhoon said:

Believe it or not, albums were once primarily released on big 12" vinyl records and CDs were the second-class citizens of the audio media world. All of U2's CDs up until Rattle and Hum are similarly generic because they weren't specifically designed for that medium.

Europe got a prettier Joshua Tree reissue around 2000, though. Dig this back cover.

And yeah, a lot of copies have the last part of "One Tree Hill" indexed at the beginning of "Exit."

:lol: Why did I not think of that? That's so obvious. Thanks, typhoon.

That back cover rocks! Why can't I have it?! :mad:

Last edited:
If you want to fiddle around with the jewel case a bit, I'm sure you can pop out the back cover, print off the european back page, and slip it in.

In fact, I may just do that right now. :ohmy:

The Rattle and Hum version of Exit kicks ass, with the verses to Gloria during the heavy rock-out part at the end of the song. Still, I like the studio version because of the quiet build up until it hits the crescendo. If it only hadn't been mastered so quiet....

COBL_04, what's your e-mail? I want to send you something for your edification and U2 growth.

As you know Joshua Tree is and will ever be my favourite U2 album. Not because it always fits very well on charts (in VH1 chart it was named the best album ever made) but because is, IMO, the most consistent U2 album. Tracks 1-9 are gold to me, the last two tracks are a bit boring but still good.

Now, I know that I like this album more that many of you because actually I love Trip Through Your Wires and the studio version of Bullet. That probably makes the difference.

Beside those two tracks, there are the first three, three of U2 biggest classics and emblematic songs. And then is RTSS which is amazing and has probably the best lyrics on this album; red Hill Mining Town which has a great melody and a awesome vocal performance, In God's Country which is a little slice of heaven as someone said here on interference... and then One Tree Hill :drool: :drool: :drool: I really hope that one day you'll really appreciate this song, one of U2 poetry/melody masterpieces. OTH always paints a beautiful landscape in my head. Axver knows what I'm talking about. :drool: :drool: :drool:

Then Exit and Mothers which are my least favourite tracks, as I said, I don't care much about them. A bit boring, although Mothers has a beautiful melody.

I also purchased 'the joshua tree' only recently and can relate to a lot of what COBL_04 says

I'd already heard most of what was on it from my 'best of' album, live performances and the 'rattle and hum' movie, so basically I just brought it just for red hill mining town, trip through your wires and mothers of the dissapeared. I was basing my judgement on these three songs alone.

I wish I hadn't heard any of the joshua tree before I brought it and therefor could judge it as a whole on all the songs but unfortuanately that's not the case. I wasn't even born when it first came out.

Still, it is an absolutely classc album! :drool:

COBL_04 said:

Bullet the Blue Sky – 3/5
Hated it at first listen, liked it better second listen. It’s a pretty good song actually, right up until the “A man’s face is red” verse. That wrecks it. It was alright live, too.

Just...alright? What version do you have of it live? The ZooTV version is much more than just "alright," it's mindblowing, Edge's solo is :drool: If you haven't heard it, you NEED to. It is MILES ahead of the studio version, and personally I love the studio version.

I'd say the best four songs on JT are Streets, WOWY, Running, and Exit, all of which improve live but are also very very good on the album. The main problem with Exit is it's too bloody quiet (and yes, mine has the end of One Tree Hill on it as well)...but I think it's AMAZING.

Red Hill Mining Town is a tad overrated on these forums, I think...

Wait, you paid $26 for a CD? Where the hell do you shop?

Re: Re: Album cinque - The Joshua Tree. My review.

AtomicBono said:
Wait, you paid $26 for a CD? Where the hell do you shop?

This is Australia. CDs are much more expensive here than in the US, hence why I bought up while I was there.

AUS$26 is currently US$19.85.

Re: Re: Re: Album cinque - The Joshua Tree. My review.

Axver said:

This is Australia. CDs are much more expensive here than in the US, hence why I bought up while I was there.

US$19.85 is still waayyy too much for a CD. Regular prices are usually between $12.99 and $15.99 roughly.

Re: Re: Re: Album cinque - The Joshua Tree. My review.

Axver said:

HENCE WHY? who taught you how to form sentences?! :wink:

That's really bloody expensive, I'm going to go to Australia and mark all their CD prices down, as far as I'm concerned the typical US price of $14.99 is too much for a CD, but $20?! And people wonder why piracy has caught on!

jonnytakeawalk said:
I also purchased 'the joshua tree' only recently and can relate to a lot of what COBL_04 says

I'd already heard most of what was on it from my 'best of' album, live performances and the 'rattle and hum' movie, so basically I just brought it just for red hill mining town, trip through your wires and mothers of the dissapeared. I was basing my judgement on these three songs alone.

I wish I hadn't heard any of the joshua tree before I brought it and therefor could judge it as a whole on all the songs but unfortuanately that's not the case. I wasn't even born when it first came out.

Still, it is an absolutely classc album! :drool:

That's a great insight! I bought it when it first came out and was stunned at the power of Streets, WOWY & Bullet especially. But after years of rehearing them on tour, on bootlegs, on live TV performances, Rattle & Hum, and the Best Of, they've lost some of the power for me.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Album cinque - The Joshua Tree. My review.

Zootlesque said:

US$19.85 is still waayyy too much for a CD. Regular prices are usually between $12.99 and $15.99 roughly.

So I know. I came home from the US with something like 10 new CDs, because the prices were so good. Same applies to books. And it's even worse with computer software.

JT is a perfect album.

WOWY, ISHFWILF, and RTSS are all 5/5 to me, some of their best work.

Just for fun I'll rank it :

Streets- 5/5
I still haven't found what I'm looking for- 5/5
With or withut you- 5/5
Bullet the blue sky- 3.5/5 (live- 5/5)
Running to stand still- 5/5
Red Hill mining town- 3/5
In God's country- 4.5/5
Trip through your wires- 3.5/5
One Tree Hill- 4.5/5
Exit- 3/5
Mothers of the disappeared- 4/5

Re: Re: Re: Re: Album cinque - The Joshua Tree. My review.

Zootlesque said:

Come to Europe then. Here in the Netherlands (and also Belgium) the price for a new CD is still quite often around 18 or 20 euro. With today's exchange rate, that translates to ~ $24.

Hence why I bought up when I was there (also because most CDs don't have that Copy Control Crap). :wink:

And yes, I still think I didn't buy enough. :reject:

Axver said:
COBL_04, what's your e-mail? I want to send you something for your edification and U2 growth.

liamcool said:
Yeah, what's your email, COBL_04? I want to send something to.

Thanks a lot for your kind words! I am really touched. This is a great forum. :) My email is thefonz_29@hotmail.com, but only send something if you really want to.

Axver, I thought you would have been shocked by my rating of One Tree Hill? :wink: (which is a good song).

So we all like Running To Stand Still around here? Because personally I think it is one of the best tracks on there.

Another problem though - with Exit, is everybody's version really really quiet? Like I had my speakers up full and I still couldn't hear the lyrics to the first verse.

Last edited:
COBL_04 said:
Axver, I thought you would have been shocked by my rating of One Tree Hill? :wink: (which is a good song).

That would be why I am sending you a file of One Tree Hill live on 26 December 1989! Note the extended solo and Bono's completely improvised verse at the end. I'll post the link here for anyone else once you've used it.

So we all like Running To Stand Still around here? Because personally I think it is one of the best tracks on there.

RTSS is easily one of the most beautiful songs ever made. I or someone else will have to send you one of the performances from the ZooTV Tour when Edge played it on guitar. So beautiful.

Another problem though - with Exit, is everybody's version really really quiet? Like I had my speakers up full and I still couldn't hear the lyrics to the first verse.

Yep, it's a bit of a pain. This is where headphones come in handy - I always listen to my music through headphones. Exit live was UNBELIEVEABLE. 29 April 1987 is the pick of the bunch for me.

Yeah, you've got more songs coming your way from me.

Axver said:

RTSS is easily one of the most beautiful songs ever made. I or someone else will have to send you one of the performances from the ZooTV Tour when Edge played it on guitar. So beautiful.

Yeah!!

Running to stand still ZOO TV :drool: :drool:

ZOO TV SYDNEY: Dirty Day »»» Bullet »»» Running to stand still »»» Streets »»» One of the greatest combos I ever heard :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

COBL_04 said:
I'm guessing ZooTv wouldn't still be selling in shops. Could a get a copy of it on ebay?

I'm pretty sure you could order in a copy of the video to your local store, though maybe you'll want to wait: there are persistent rumours that ZooTV Sydney will receive a DVD release in the near future, and those have to come true sooner or later!

And I hope you enjoy the songs I've sent! :)

Axver, pleaaaaaaaaaaase could you post a y si-link of One Three Hill and Exit live?

I will be eternally gratefull and I'm not kidding.

:bow:

COBL_04 said:

One Tree Hill – 3.5/5
I know Axver likes this song, but I can’t say I liked it straight away. The chorus is really good, and it’s enjoyable to listen to with its soothing back beats but it didn’t really catch my attention.

Only 3.5 for "one tree hill"? NO NO NO!

the soul waits said:
Axver, pleaaaaaaaaaaase could you post a y si-link of One Three Hill and Exit live?

I will be eternally gratefull and I'm not kidding.

:bow:

likewise or i shall go on a bed marauding mission:mad: :wink:

Back
Top Bottom