Album 13 Talk: Insert cori .gif Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2 can just do what every other veteran band does and simply release an album every once and a while and go on tour, and there would be nothing wrong with this, every fucking band does this. It's just that U2 wants to be on top of the world every time they release something. Every album since Joshua Tree (with the exception of Zooropa and Passengers) has been about staying on top. That takes precedence over everything. They don't know how to do something less than huge. And it's gotten to the point where the press can't expect something less than huge for U2. It's a debilitating position that they're in, but truth is they built their own prison. They can't win unless they really win, that is, take over the world and the media and win awards. They can't just release a critically acclaimed album. It has to be acclaimed by EVERYONE.

It is perhaps the worst position to be in. And I wish this wasn't the case. But now that U2 are nearing retirement, it places even MORE pressure on them to deliver, not only another world winning musical statement, but also an album that would appropriately wrap up their entire career. I think they are pretty much screwed. All this biggest band in the world shit has limited them creatively. In a perfect world, U2 could just be artists again and let the post-album media circus do what it's going to do anyway instead of trying to run the circus from the album's inception.

Artistically speaking, their massive ego benefitted them a great deal in the past. 22 years ago, Bono proudly declared that it didn't matter if U2 lost the "pop kids" because they didn't need them. Sublime. Sadly, their ego has now become more of a hindrance than a help. Bono circa 2014 would probably want to say "It doesn't matter if we lose some or our loyal fanbase, we don't need them. We have the POP KIDS!" Sigh.

The most misunderstood Bono quote in interference history. :facepalm:

The most misunderstood Bono quote in interference history. :facepalm:

....says the only poster in interference history who has the absolute definitive answer behind everything Bono says, does, thinks and writes :lol::lol::lol: :facepalm:

I always thought that the "pop kids" quote meant something along the lines that U2 were a different band now; uncompromising, and rough around the edges, so that if anyone who was listening to Madonna and Michael Jackson along with U2 and expected happy go lucky songs from U2 with a squeeky clean image to go along with them can forget about it.

Is this wrong?

What Madonna and MJ were you listening to in the 90s? Because they were anything BUT squeaky-clean and happy go lucky. :lol:

Well, I wasn't listening at all really.....I just threw their names in there for examples.
I was listening to alot of Miles Davis and John Coltrane, who were also not happy go lucky nor squeeky clean.
:D

But you get my point?

I always thought that the "pop kids" quote meant something along the lines that U2 were a different band now; uncompromising, and rough around the edges, so that if anyone who was listening to Madonna and Michael Jackson along with U2 and expected happy go lucky songs from U2 with a squeeky clean image to go along with them can forget about it.

Is this wrong?

The quote meant that they were committing themselves to just doing ambient and 'experimental' tracks 20 years down the road, and therefore they're bad people for not living up to that promise now.

Geez, wasn't it obvious? :D

Is this wrong?

Is this wrong?

It was the early 90's, "alternative" was quickly taking over. If you could get labeled alternative tv, music, clothing, etc you were automatically relevant. "Pop", and even to an extent "rock" were becoming bad words. He was just reaching for the relevant audience. That's all it was, for those that use this quote as some brave Bono didn't give a fuck attitude has it all wrong. It was safe to dis the "pop kids", if you didn't you lost your relevancy.

And you'll be one of the first to kiss the band's collective arses as soon as new material is released. Just like 99% of the posters in this board who are all running around with doomsday predictions.

Bono gives interviews and everyone says he's lying.

Edge gives interviews and everyone says he's being evasive.

Adam gives interviews and everyone ignores 99% of what he says.

Larry gives interviews and everyone obsesses over his attitude.

You people are never fucking happy, are you? :doh:

If the band DIDNT give interviews you'd cry about lack of news. No wonder the band is sitting on their arses. I would too if this is how my core fanbase reacted.
The interviews aren't the problem.

Looks like all of u2 are in NY again. Some cook on twitter just posted that he served them (at Mario Batali's). Back to Electric Lady?

We know 2 things here:

1. Bono loves to eat.

2. Bono doesn't like recording albums.

Trouble is, does that "meh" attitude light the fire under the arses, as you put it, or does it cause the band to say "Fuck it, no one gives a shit so why should we?"

Given that we are talking about Bono, the man who gets upset when one 19 year old girl doesn't want to dance to his song, I think it's the fire-lighting one. He's just really determined to make the whole world love him. But that doesn't necessarily mean that they can get it done, and get it out. Wanting it and doing it are 2 different things at this point.

The funny thing is, the ONE TIME I actually went to one of Mario Batali's restaraunts in 2007 or so, I sat next to a table that included Michael Stipe and Courtney Love with some other peeps.....

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/trent-reznor-speaks-out-against-cowardly-bands-20140506

Spot on, take note U2!

Sent from my GT-P3110 using U2 Interference mobile app

What I don't want to realize tomorrow is that I have been this clown pretending to be someone half his age and thinking, 'How did that happen?'"

This quote stuck with me.

While I don't believe every rock act needs to be this ever progressing and evolving artistic entity, changing for change's sake... I do find trying to pander to a younger crowd incredibly pathetic and misguided.

I don't get all the hate for Coldplay...I like them, don't love them, but I like them. I think its awesome in a world filled with Bieber's and Cyrus' there are still real bands, especially those influenced by and who respect U2.

Now, that might not piss many of you off but this will......I also like.....Nickelback. Well, I like a few of their songs....I wouldn't go see them live I don't think but I do enjoy some of their music and don't get all of the hate(not just here but EVERYWHERE) for them.

You know who else I really enjoy, INXS, they had so many really good songs. I would say they are my 2nd favorite band(maybe tied with ACDC, those f'ers have some kick ASS songs).

Ok, that is all.

I don't get all the hate for Coldplay...I like them, don't love them, but I like them. I think its awesome in a world filled with Bieber's and Cyrus' there are still real bands, especially those influenced by and who respect U2.

Now, that might not piss many of you off but this will......I also like.....Nickelback. Well, I like a few of their songs....I wouldn't go see them live I don't think but I do enjoy some of their music and don't get all of the hate(not just here but EVERYWHERE) for them.

You know who else I really enjoy, INXS, they had so many really good songs. I would say they are my 2nd favorite band(maybe tied with ACDC, those f'ers have some kick ASS songs).

Ok, that is all.

You ruined a perfectly fine argument in Coldplay's favor by bringing up Nickleback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom