Album 13: Shit Gets Real

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's encouraging that they are even trying though. With the kind of music that is popular these days, they could easily push for artistic and critical quality, without the 12 year old girls being into it. This is ballsy, and if it works, we could take music back from the kids who stole it!

The video will likely be pretty sick. Going to be pretty f-in cool once it drops during the game. Rarely does U2 half-ass these moments. I mean this is part of what separates them from the field.

The video will likely be pretty sick. Going to be pretty f-in cool once it drops during the game. Rarely does U2 half-ass these moments. I mean this is part of what separates them from the field.

It's going to be 3 and a half minutes of a 20-year-old woman smacking Bono in the ass.

Cameo appearance by Adam's hair.

If only the lead single had been Magnificent Moment of Surrender Breathe anything that featured a video in which Edge fell in slow-mo!

:doh:

tumblr_l7zndpQMY61qdtw7so1_500.gif

I prefer seeing Bono slap Adam's arse than seeing some random girl slapping Bono's arse. Arse slapping within the band is so much better.

While I agree that this song is huge for U2, I don't think it would make or break the band's legacy. U2 absolutely owned the music industry from '84-'93 and then saw a big comeback from '00 - '05. That's 15 years of dominance right there. Like Laz said, if this album is huge, it's gravy, icing on the cake. But it will not make or break the overall body of work if this album is just considered average.

Don't know if this was already posted, apparently the ad will appear between the 1st and 2nd quarter

Bank of America

Buy: One 60-second commercial between the first and second quarter to introduce a partnership among Bank of America, U2 and Red, the group co-founded by Bono to enlist brands in fighting disease, particularly HIV/AIDS.

Creative: The commercial will feature Bono and the rest of U2 performing a new song called "Invisible," which will be available free on iTunes during the game and over the next 24 hours. Bank of America said it will donate $1 for every download in that time, up to $2 million.

Agency: Hill Holliday in Boston and Mad Agency London

Super Bowl Ad Chart: Who's Buying What in Super Bowl 2014 - Ad Age Mobile

It would do well to crack the top 5 of the biggest songs of their career and really not even then.

1. One of those earliest singles that got them noticed.
2. I Will Follow helped launch them even wider.
3. NYD, after the relative disaster of October which could have ended them.
4. The Fly (reinvention - trying to stay relevant into the 90's)
5. Beautiful Day - second reinvention.

Invisible, for better or worse, doesn't belong in the same conversation.

So U2 fizzles with this single/album...so what?

Like Laz said, if this album is huge, it's gravy, icing on the cake. But it will not make or break the overall body of work if this album is just considered average.

Unless they absolutely positively embarrass themselves, or completely abandon their integrity or something - which is certainly hard to imagine - it's ALL gravy.

That's all this is. Their legacy is otherwise cemented short of what I mentioned previously. The people open to their music will be open to it and those closed to it will be closed to it. And the 'cool kids' will wait to see how the other cool kids react before making up their mind.

I think the people that really believe this is super 'high stakes' for U2 are just afraid of them calling it quits.

Unless they absolutely positively embarrass themselves, or completely abandon their integrity or something - which is certainly hard to imagine - it's ALL gravy.

That's all this is. Their legacy is otherwise cemented short of what I mentioned previously. The people open to their music will be open to it and those closed to it will be closed to it. And the 'cool kids' will wait to see how the other cool kids react before making up their mind.

I think the people that really believe this is super 'high stakes' for U2 are just afraid of them calling it quits.

Luckily I think U2 has a strong enough support system around them to allow them to completely embarrass themselves.

Well, yeah! Those could* be the stakes we're facing, and to those who love seeing U2, the notion of never getting to again is pretty huge.

*I think we can rule that out at this point in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom